Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Battalion Chief and Higher in the Union??

Are your Chiefs in the Union, if so are there any provisions about them holding office, voting, or anything like that?

Thanks!

The Chief and his two deputy chiefs have their own union. Training Chief, Fire Marshall, and Batt Chiefs are all members of the same union local as firefighters and company officers. We have no provisions differentiating them from any other member.

Despite the screen name, I am a Deputy Chief and still a member of Local 1714. There are no restrictions for votes or holding an elected position.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 08-26-2007 at 09:12 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Ours were made associate members. They are entitled to legal services and other benefits. They are not entitled to hold office or vote on any matters. They also negotiate their own contract. That's why they make so much more than a top step Captain.
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

Any chance you can send me the wording from your by-laws. This is exactly what I am looking for! Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyKos View Post
    Are your Chiefs in the Union, if so are there any provisions about them holding office, voting, or anything like that?

Thanks!
    My chief is still a card-carrying member. Nothing prevents chief officers from holding office or voting. In fact, Asst Chiefs do hold offices such a Vice President and Secretary/Treasurer.

I didn't say that I agreed with the way things are, but that is the way it is.

MembersZone Subscriber Paddiegrunt's Avatar

In L.A. County Firefighters Local 1014, Chiefs can belong but they can not vote on contracts and are not represented by the Local.
    Slop sink, Flags and pump 150
    Getting there is half the fun

MembersZone Subscriber

Default BC In Union

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyKos View Post

Thanks!
    Most CT IAFF locals with 100 members or less combine all ranks into a single bargaining unit. Here, all 4 Battalion Chief's, Marshal, Captains, Lt's, and the Maintenance Division are represented together with the line firefighters. In my Local, there are no restrictions on holding office. In our town the only non-bargaining unit FD employees are the Chief of Department and the Asst. Chief of Department.
    Last edited by HFDL2687LT; 08-31-2007 at 02:56 PM.

Our Chief and Batt chiefs are resigned apon putting on the white shirt, Our Chief sits on the negotiations commitee for the city, conflict of intrest. The city sees these possitions as admin, so captains are not allowed to bump up to Batt chief when vacations are in season.
    Be SAFE!!! Go home when your shift is done and enjoy life.
    This is MY OPINION and ONLY MINE.
    Not my Departments/IAFF/WPFF

Default officers in the union

My belief is that once you put on the white shirt you have to ethically have a duty to the city. However, I would not see a problem with the Battallion Chiefs and below being members. They are still on shift personnel.

Our Union President is a BC. Best president we have had in a long long time. He was promoted to BC right after he became President but so far everything is going great on the union side. We are in the middle of negotiations heading for arbitration and he is on the ball looking out for the members.

Above BC aren't in the union, some elect to continue to pay dues but they aren't represented.

MembersZone Subscriber fieldseng2's Avatar

My current department most of chiefs retain membership, but are listed as "inactive".

Old department no restrictions what so ever, but they opted not to participate in any way while retaining membership.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Chiefs

Michigan law allows everyone from the Fire Chief down to be in the Union if you have a Fire Commissioner. If no Commissioner, Deputy/Assistant/etc... down are allowed in.

Thread Information