MembersZone Subscriber

Default Another contract question

In the process of negotiating a new contract. How many of the departments represented have the sleep exclusion in their contract?

Forum Member

Sleep exclusion?

What the frack is that?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Is that where you log out when you go to bed, then log back in when you run a call?
    IAFF

Forum Member

I saw that in Tennessee at one of the departments when we were looking at moving. They got paid until 10 or 11 pm and then only if they went on calls after that. I may not be a lawyer (slept at a Holiday Inn), but that has to viloate something. If they aren't payin', I am not stayin'. With thistype of clause, are late night calls OT?
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

If the "sleep exclusion" is what jbrescue says it is...
    that's complete and utter bullscat.

First: it's not really "sleeping". I've been dong this job for 26+ years, and I do not sleep at the firehouse the same way I do at home. between the alarms for the station I am assigned to and tones for other stations, it's more like sleeping with one eye and both ears open.

Second: having personnel in the station dramatically decreases response time, as opposed to having personnel drive in from home, gear up, get on a rig and respond. In this business... time is life.

The town of Norfolk, Massachusetts is in a similar situation. They have outgrown their station, to the point where the firefighter's quarters are in a "temporary" trailer.

The town wants to build a new station or put an addition on the existing one, the "mutts" think that the trucks should only be staffed during daylight hours, "eliminating the need to have firefighters quarters"...

The Chief has already stated that response times will double, and in some cases triple in the evening hours if the mutts get their way.
    The Mutt's answer? Its just another "scare tactic"...

In our contract, we have a "night shift differential" where we get paid more for evening tours of duty. It's based on the percentage of hours worked (we work 10's and 14's).
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

The previous post is correct. Although it is not currently used except to exempt the city from paying OT (the formula is more complicated than I care to type) it is in
    The FLSA permits employers to exclude up to 8 hours from work time when shifts are exactly 24 consecutive hours (private sector) or more than 24 hours (public sector), as "sleep time." To permit a sleep time exclusion requires that there be an "agreement" with the employees. An employee who takes a job which has a sleep time exclusion in place will be deemed to have "agreed" to it. There must also be adequate sleeping facilities, and the employees must normally have the opportunity to obtain 5 hours of sleep. The 5 hours need not be consecutive, and if an employee does not have the opportunity to get at least 5 hours of sleep no sleep time exclusion is permitted. Any time during the sleep period when an employee is actually performing work must be counted as work time.the contract almost verbatim from the FLSA law.

MembersZone Subscriber

A bit scary when I read it but then I re read it and realized it was private sector ffs that were open to the exclusion while doing 24 hour shifts. For public sector ffs it states greater than 24 hours.
    Did I read that correct?
    27 years and still having a great time in the back of the truck :-)

Forum Member

I think We work something like that

We get paid the first 8 hrs regular pay, the next 8 hrs we get paid time and a half, the next 8 were are on rest period. If we are awaken between the hours of 11:00-1:59 or 4:01-6:59 we get overtime for the time awake on the every half hour(if we go out on a run between 11:25-12:01 we get 1 1/2 hours OT, if we go 11:01-11:29 we 1/2 hour OT). If we get woke up at 2:00-4:00 we get an automatic 8 hours OT. We also have extra crews in the stations due to are comittment to the runways, and standbyes for shuttle operations and rocket launches.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fatal house fires

A simple letter to the editor stating that most fatal residential fires happen after 10pm could help gain some community support.

"Staffing apparatus only during daylight hours"
    We're there when you need us, and you often need us when its dark out. Do they send the cops home at night too? Do the hospitals close? Does the garbage man's timeclock stop when he drives from house to house because he's not actively picking up trash? Does the mailman get paid less when there's less mail?

Why do the powers that be continue to forget we are a needed service, not a bonus or perk?

I don't sleep at work, I am half awake most of the night, as are many of my brothers- tossing and turning. We know what we are there for. Maybe the mutts don't get it because their job ends at 5 o'clock. Our job doesn't.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Sleep exclusion?

What the frack is that?
    LOL, whatever it is I'm against it on principle, the principle is I like to sleep
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Thread Information