Forum Member

Question HIPPA Regulations

Exactly what info is confidential according to the HIPPA regs?

Forum Member

Banned

Depends on whether or not you are a covered entity. Since we do not charge for our services, we are not a covered entity. However, the department as an employer cannot release any information about the members. I suspect there is more to this question. Can you tell us what you are really looking for?

However, as a junior or explorer i would assume you are not EMS qualified and hence shouldn't be looking at the patient info.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343 View Post
    Exactly what info is confidential according to the HIPPA regs?
    Here is the definitive source for HIPAA (not HIPPA) information: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa/

In short, the basic rules of good patient/provider privacy ethics already cover far more ground than HIPAA.

1) You shouldn't discuss any private information about any patient you treat outside of the necessity for treatment. i.e. you should only discuss a patient's particulars with other health care providers who are treating the patient.

2) You may discuss anonymous cases as long as you don't divulge anything that would personally identify the patient. i.e You may discuss incidents and treatment you have been a part of providing you don't personally identify the patients or provide any privileged information that would lead someone else to identify him or her.

HIPAA only applies

1) if your service charges for health care
    2) if you process those charges through an insurance company
    3) if your process them through electronic data exchange

If you follow the basic ethical rules of privacy, you'll never need to worry about HIPAA.
    Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 08-26-2007 at 06:03 PM.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Banned

Yes what DeputyMarshal said. HIPPA is more about the portability of the data and how the data is exchanged between different organizations. If I remember correctly there are 3 volumes to the act, 2 of them address the data structures, how the data is transmitted, and how it is stored.

It's more of an IT/administrative issue than a health care issue.

Forum Member

Ah, HIPAA, the most misunderstood thing in healthcare today.

It's always great to go to a nursing home for any type of call, from a cardiac arrest, to toe pain, and ask for a medical history, medication list, and any allergies, and get told by the staff nurses that it's a HIPAA violation to give me that, because I'm not a doctor.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jerry4184 View Post
    Ah, HIPAA, the most misunderstood thing in healthcare today.

It's always great to go to a nursing home for any type of call, from a cardiac arrest, to toe pain, and ask for a medical history, medication list, and any allergies, and get told by the staff nurses that it's a HIPAA violation to give me that, because I'm not a doctor.
    You need that kind of medical history in order to properly treat the patients. That a faux pas by the nursing home staff. I am 3/4 through my First Responder course. Just need Advanced CPR.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    Depends on whether or not you are a covered entity. Since we do not charge for our services, we are not a covered entity. However, the department as an employer cannot release any information about the members. I suspect there is more to this question. Can you tell us what you are really looking for?

However, as a junior or explorer i would assume you are not EMS qualified and hence shouldn't be looking at the patient info.
    I am 3/4 through my First Responder cert. so I will be (very shortly hopefully) in the EMS system.

Thread Information