Forum Member

Default has anyone had a close call at a wildfire

hey my uncle and some buddies got caught in a flash over. they jumed in a small ditch and luckily nobody got hurt. Has anyone else had a close call?

Forum Member

"Flashover" is a term for a phenomena that happens in structure fires, not outdoors ones.
    Your uncle got "burned over"... and my first question is: why didn't he have a fire shelter? He got lucky, period. A "close call" is a shelter deployment. Not even having a shelter to deploy, and having to run for the nearest ditch, stream, lake, whatever, that's a "narrowly-averted tragedy".
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

Default No, but...

We had a wildfire on Mt. Wantastiquet in Hinsdale, NH, a neighboring city, and, though it was only about 30 acres, it was a big fire for our area. We didn't get to go as juniors because the fire wardens said that it was too dangerous for anyone under 18. As for having a shelter, it could have been in an area like ours, where the biggest a brush fire usually gets is a 50 by 50 foot area of field, we don't carry shelters.

Forum Member

nope not yet hopefully not either but i did have a helicopter dump water on me and my leautenant once i wouldnt recomend it soo get out of the way when you hear them coming its a little pain full

Forum Member

I was almost ran over by the guy driving the plow one time.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by edff322 View Post
    nope not yet hopefully not either but i did have a helicopter dump water on me and my leautenant once i wouldnt recomend it soo get out of the way when you hear them coming its a little pain full
    We don't have "wild" fires around here, but logic/common sense will tell me that when you hear helicopters coming and you're in a fire area with enough fire around you that the helicopter will probably drop in the vicinity, you should move and/or keep an eye on where the helicopter's going.
    Also FH.com isn't AIM, Yahoo!, or MSN Messenger. Please use correct spelling (and grammar). Download the spell checker if you have to. It makes you look more professional and mature and you'll gain some respect. It gets VERY annoying seeing this stuff constantly. Take my advice as you will, but take my last warning for sure... if you don't follow it, the Senior guys WILL, more than likely, chew you up.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    We don't have "wild" fires around here, but logic/common sense will tell me that when you hear helicopters coming and you're in a fire area with enough fire around you that the helicopter will probably drop in the vicinity, you should move and/or keep an eye on where the helicopter's going.
    Also FH.com isn't AIM, Yahoo!, or MSN Messenger. Please use correct spelling (and grammar). Download the spell checker if you have to. It makes you look more professional and mature and you'll gain some respect. It gets VERY annoying seeing this stuff constantly. Take my advice as you will, but take my last warning for sure... if you don't follow it, the Senior guys WILL, more than likely, chew you up.

Try using Firefox. It comes with a built in spell-checker.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by KEEPBACK200FEET View Post
    Try using Firefox. It comes with a built in spell-checker.
    Yeah. What he said...
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

As for having a shelter, it could have been in an area like ours, where the biggest a brush fire usually gets is a 50 by 50 foot area of field, we don't carry shelters.
    Yeah, because thick or tall grass or similar veg can only burn to 6-8 foot flame heights...and of course a rapidly moving 6 ft wall of flame won't hurt you...
    So if the grass fire wouldn't hurt the uncle or his crew, why'd they have to jump in a ditch???????

Where do they get you guys from? Seriously...
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

Default Duh

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    Yeah, because thick or tall grass or similar veg can only burn to 6-8 foot flame heights...and of course a rapidly moving 6 ft wall of flame won't hurt you...
    So if the grass fire wouldn't hurt the uncle or his crew, why'd they have to jump in a ditch???????

Where do they get you guys from? Seriously...

Wow...you replied to my post and chewed me out as if I was the guy who posted the thread. Think before you post!!! Oh, and they get us at a place called the hospital, but you test tube children wouldn't understand that!

Forum Member

Talking

no matter what size fire we go to (wildland) we always carry shelters because you never know what the weather up here is going to do. So as a precaution we take them incase of an emergency.
    Last edited by GCFD5exploder; 06-24-2008 at 07:11 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 51E12GDS View Post
    Wow...you replied to my post and chewed me out as if I was the guy who posted the thread. Think before you post!!! Oh, and they get us at a place called the hospital, but you test tube children wouldn't understand that!
    Hey Junior -

I'm sure Chief Fox would like to know how you represent yourself online while claiming to be a member of his department.

Someone is always watching.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Wow...you replied to my post and chewed me out as if I was the guy who posted the thread. Well, you expressed a lackadaisical attitude towards safety and a gross disrespect for the fire and what it can do to you...I think that deserves an ***-chewing, yes. Too f'in bad if that hurts your wee feelings Think before you post!!! Oh, I do. I think you could use to take your own advice, though. Oh, and they get us at a place called the hospital, but you test tube children wouldn't understand that! Oh, I understand "burn ward" perfectly well--apparently you don't understand the physiological damage that occurs when you inhale superheated gas or worse, flame...you die.
    Read and learn from someone who's been on a bit more than a "roadside grass fire", or sit down and shut up, take your pick.

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue View Post
    Hey Junior -

I'm sure Chief Fox would like to know how you represent yourself online while claiming to be a member of his department.

Someone is always watching.

SLAM!!!!! OUCH!!!!!!!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Wow! You must have had a tough pill for breakfast!

1. Does your mommy know you are on her computer again? Maybe you should be doing your homework instead of trying to keep up with the big dogs.

2. I dont know if anyone from your department took you aside and explained the "Junior Firefighter facts of life" to you, but it's usually highly advisable NOT to let your ego write checks that your intellect cant cash, ESPECIALLY with someone who has more time sitting on the ****ter in their firehouse, than you have time total in the fire service.

3. Now, be a good little junior, and go clean out all the compartments on the rig. When that's done, paint all the tools. After that, lube all the nozzles adapters and appliances. When THAT is done, wash the rigs. Once all of these items are completed, MAYBE, JUST MAYBE we'll let you come in the TV room and watch some incredibly booring "american heat" tape from 1996. Keep bitching, and we'll have Chief Fox get you to pull ALL the hose, wash it, test it, and re-pack it. Then you can say you did all of the above for the big dogs.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Wow! You must have had a tough pill for breakfast!

1. Does your mommy know you are on her computer again? Maybe you should be doing your homework instead of trying to keep up with the big dogs.

2. I dont know if anyone from your department took you aside and explained the "Junior Firefighter facts of life" to you, but it's usually highly advisable NOT to let your ego write checks that your intellect cant cash, ESPECIALLY with someone who has more time sitting on the ****ter in their firehouse, than you have time total in the fire service.

3. Now, be a good little junior, and go clean out all the compartments on the rig. When that's done, paint all the tools. After that, lube all the nozzles adapters and appliances. When THAT is done, wash the rigs. Once all of these items are completed, MAYBE, JUST MAYBE we'll let you come in the TV room and watch some incredibly booring "american heat" tape from 1996. Keep bitching, and we'll have Chief Fox get you to pull ALL the hose, wash it, test it, and re-pack it. Then you can say you did all of the above for the big dogs.
    WOW!!!!!
    you really put some thought into that, NICE!!!

Thread Information