Forum Member

Default Should LICENSED Explorers/Juniors be able to drive apparatuses?

(self explanatory)

Forum Member

***edit***
    Last edited by GTRider245; 08-27-2007 at 10:38 AM.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

As a junior, sure it would be cool to drive one, BUT NO WE SHOULD NOT. We barely know how to drive cars, and should not be made responsible for up to 8 men. Most kids my age cant manage sedans, let alone 34-45 foot rigs. MAYBE a fly car MAYBE but even that would be scary as hell at 16 or 17 with lights and sirens. And driving a rig entails operating the pump, another thing we shouldnt be doing. Wash: yes, ride: when your ready, drive: when your 18 and trained and EVOC approved. My two cents.

FossilMedic

No

Check with your insurer - both the accident rate AND the increase in insurance payments are much higher.

Some departments restrict drivers to 21 or 25 years of age.

FossilMedic

Default Why do most 16 year olds drive like they're missing a part of their brain?

Even bright, mature teenagers sometimes do things that are ďstupid.Ē

But when that happens, itís not really their fault. Itís because their brain hasnít fi nished developing. The underdeveloped area is called the dorsal lateral prefrontal cortex. It plays a critical role in decision making, problem solving and understanding future consequences of todayís actions.

Problem is, it wonít be fully mature until theyíre into their 20s.

Itís one reason 16-year-old drivers have crash rates three times higher than 17-year-olds and fi ve times higher than 18-year-olds. Car crashes injure about 300,000 teens a year. And kill nearly 6,000.

From Allstate teen driving initiative

This ad: http://www.allstate.com/content/refr...s/Brain-Ad.pdf

The program: http://www.allstate.com/citizenship/...ic-report.aspx

Forum Member

Post stuff on this topic in the other thread he made that's farther along. That way the information is all together.

Forum Member

NO! Even if you have your license, that does not make you eligeble to drive the rig. You would have to take the enginers test and pass. But use your brain your only a explorer. Don't ask stupid questions.

Forum Member

I would also like to say... According to the learning for life rules for explorers is that we are not allowed to drive apparatus. Even well training.
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbuttery t0ast" - DFurtman

Forum Member

Exclamation

Stupid Stupid if you think you can drive a rig at sixteen you need help

No offence Just my 2cents
    Last edited by LVFD104; 08-31-2007 at 05:44 PM.
    Stay safe

Never Forget 9-11-01

Good thing's happening

im 19 and ive been through a Defensive driving course where you actually use your car and learn in and outs of how to safely drive your car through some pretty scary stuff and its not the bs ones all class room ones they now have for speeders like my other class was.

But with that said...HELL NO too much responsibility that just scares me. im scared to drive the apparatus and i dont want to learn right now even though im not even off age of 21 to be able to drive it. You screw up somewhere and someone gets hurt or dies its not their fault its yours and you have to live with that for the rest of your life. And i cant deal with that.

Rob

Forum Member

You would also have to be hired by that department.

Forum Member

(I believe a majority of the people on here were referring to volunteer departments. But you bring up another valid point for paid co.s)

Forum Member

Default old, dazed, & confused

two posts same question started at the same time, by the same person

w t f ? can one be locked? ( like this one with fewer responses )

Forum Member

Do you really need to ask this question? Honestly, young people and EXTREMELY old people are the highest risk drivers of SMALL CARS in the country. This is one of those "common sense" things. No 16 or 17 year old kid should have a CDL license. Nor should any 16 or 17 year old kid be responsible for the lives of the crew on the apparatus and the lives of the public when driving a 10 ton plus vehicle priority one to a call. Read other posts about tunnel vision that happens to even the most experienced firefighters. There should be NO exceptions for this.

Forum Member

Do you really need to ask this question? Honestly, young people and EXTREMELY old people are the highest risk drivers of SMALL CARS in the country. This is one of those "common sense" things. No 16 or 17 year old kid should have a CDL license. Nor should any 16 or 17 year old kid be responsible for the lives of the crew on the apparatus and the lives of the public when driving a 10 ton plus vehicle priority one to a call. Read other posts about tunnel vision that happens to even the most experienced firefighters. There should be NO exceptions for this.

Thread Information