Thread: Coinkie-dink?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Coinkie-dink?

You be the judge. Oh... and I was IN CLASS all day Sunday till 1630, SO NO I didn't do it. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Metro Stations In D.C., Va. Close For Smoke
    Incidents Not Expected To Hamper Morning Rush

POSTED: 5:48 am EDT August 27, 2007

WASHINGTON -- Small fires and smoke forced four Metro stations to close and a fifth station to reroute trains Sunday evening on several different rail lines, but a transit system spokeswoman said nothing appeared to be suspicious.

The train station at Reagan National Airport was closed just before 6 p.m. because of smoke coming from a storage room in a nearby tunnel, said Metro spokeswoman Lisa Farbstein. Trains were being turned back on either side of the airport, which is located in Arlington, Va., she said. The station remained closed more than two hours later.

"There's significant service disruption on that end of the (system)," Farbstein said. "Of course the airport would be a popular station on a Sunday night."

Also in Virginia, the Huntington station in Fairfax County was closed about 6:30 p.m. for more than an hour because of smoke in the tunnel where trains are stored at the end of Metro's Yellow Line. The station was partially reopened just before 8 p.m.

In downtown Washington, the Farragut North station on the Red Line was closed about 7 p.m. because of a smoldering cable on the rails in the subway tunnel, Farbstein said. It remained closed for more than an hour.

The Foggy Bottom station closed a little before 9 p.m.

"The thing that connects (the fires) is that they happened simultaneously or close to simultaneously," Farbstein said. "It's just a coincidence they're all happening at the same time."

Earlier in the evening, a smoking insulator on the rails at the Shaw-Howard University station forced trains to share a single track, but the station remained open while workers prepared to make repairs.

Farbstein said nothing about the fires appeared to suspicious.

"What caused all of this to happen is what they'll be investigating," Farbstein said. .

Copyright 2007 by nbc4.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Question

wow,coincidence?maybe?
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Forum Member

I don't know Malahat. You seem to know an AWFUL lot about many incidents in the Metro DC area the past few years.

You sure the Fibbies haven't talked to you?
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

FossilMedic

Psst! Don't let him know that we know ...... we had the attorney general "resign" to set him up .... Sept 16 is the go date

Second night for fires in the Metro system - they appear to be "running rail" fires that the agency sent out a safety bulletin about earlier this year.

System is 30 years old.

We needed something to replace the burning wiring bundles in Georgetown that entertained us the last couple of summers. They featured explosions and flying manhole covers!

This is more fun - citywide incidents with multiple agencies!

Hook & Can

Where were you last night, Rick?

Fires break out along D.C. Metro tracks
    By BRETT ZONGKER, Associated Press Writer 2 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Small fires broke out for a second straight night along the capital region's Metrorail system, crippling commuter train service and leaving investigators on Tuesday trying to pinpoint the cause.

Officials blamed electrical problems for a fire on the tracks at the Pentagon City station in Arlington, Va., that halted service there and at four nearby stations, including Reagan National Airport's busy station, from 7:30 p.m. until the system's normal midnight closing.

Power problems also were blamed for another small fire at the U Street-Cardozo station in Washington, which was closed for about an hour, along with neighboring Columbia Heights station.

"We are doing everything we can to try to identify what the problem is," Metro spokeswoman Lisa Farbstein said. "It's extremely troubling just for one day, let alone two."

Earlier Monday, transit officials were investigating whether a sudden electrical surge in northern Virginia might have caused five similar fires that shut down several rail stations Sunday evening. Farbstein said then that nothing about the fires appeared to be suspicious.

The trains were running normally again Tuesday morning and Deputy General Manager Gerald Francis apologized to riders for the inconvenience. He said the outbreak was unprecedented in Metro's 31-year history.

"We have pulled together a team representing several operational departments to determine the cause of the incidents," Francis said in a statement. "We know our riders were frustrated."

Metro was working with Dominion Power, though Dominion spokeswoman Le-Ha Anderson said the utility company had "no record of any electrical problems within the Metro system due to Dominion's equipment."

She said Metro maintains its own wires within the transit system, and Dominion only provides electricity at stations in Virginia, not the District of Columbia.

"I think it's safe to say there are lots of theories out there as to what caused this," Anderson said.

One rider said hundreds of people were at the Pentagon City station Monday when the fire was discovered.

"It smelled like rust, and it was kind of like burning just a little bit," Lamar Williams told WTTG-TV. "It was hot, it was damp, it was muggy and people were ornery."

D.C. Fire Chief Dennis Rubin said his investigators were working with Metro to determine the cause of the fires. He stressed that no one was in danger.

"It's more of a nuisance than a hazard," Rubin said.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

SOMEBODY has to make sure you guys are awake out there!

Metro Running After Series Of Problems
    Rash Of Fires, Smoke Incidents Slow Service

POSTED: 9:05 pm EDT August 27, 2007
    UPDATED: 6:08 am EDT August 28, 2007

WASHINGTON -- Metro officials said trains are running normally Tuesday after a series of incidents involving fire or smoke at several stations.

For two days, Metro trains experienced some of the same problems such as small fires and smoke alarms that shut down service.

A power surge at the Pentagon City station, shut down train service between Pentagon City and Braddock Road stations Monday night.

There was also a track fire at the Cardozo station in D.C Monday, which shut down service between Cardozo and Columbia Heights stations.

Metrorail said the lines were down due to a power problem and an emergency situation.

Monday's problems began around 7:15 p.m.

Metro is assuring riders that service is back to normal Tuesday. Officials are still investigating the incidents.

Metro said the problems are unprecedented in the system's 31-year history.

Previous Stories:
    August 27, 2007: Power Surge Possible Cause Of Metro Disruptions

Copyright 2007 by nbc4.com.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information