MembersZone Subscriber

Default Books or Websites

I am looking for any books or websites which we can use for determining proper response PPE for chemicals, permeation data of miscellaneous PPE, etc.

Outside of the NAERG and Niosh books......

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Try the DuPont website, assuming the PPE is a DuPont product.

The manufacturer should provide the chemical compatability data for you specific PPE.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Post Downloadable info

SWLAFireDawg, you can down load for free the following programs:
    WISER
    CAMEO
    ALHOA
    MARPLOT & Maps
    The premeation data, in PDF, of DuPont suits

You can go to NIOSH's web site and request, for free, the NIOSH pocket guide CD. It not only has the NPG, but other information in regards to chemical permeration data for different chemicals versus different genaric materials (PVC, butyl rubber, etc...).
    If you have Internet connection in the field, you access the CHRIS Manual on-line for free.
    As far as books go, I would start with the manual that came with your suits. The last time I looked, the NAERG had nothing in it about chemical permeation or degredation.
    "Your spill is our thrill."

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks!

I'll start digging in to all of these.

MembersZone Subscriber

Also check out the "Quick Selection Guide to Chemical Protective Clothing" 4th Ed. by Forsberg and Mansdorf. It lists different types of suits (and suit manufacturers), along with recommended duration of usage for each suit by chemical.

http://www.amazon.com/Selection-Chem.../dp/0471271055
    Last edited by thelife; 08-29-2007 at 05:58 PM. Reason: added link

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up HazMat IQ

Just took an 8 hour HazMat IQ course. One of the best courses I have taken in years. Easy to follow and understand. They had you understanding the chemical and its characteristics and PPE with 30 seconds.

It is all based on the 'Above the Line-Below the Line' concept of the peridioc table. If you can attend or get them to come to your jurisdiction I would highly reccomend it.

Their website is www.hazmatIQ.com

Forum Member

Go to www.cdc.gov, in the A-Z index on left side click on N, scroll down to NIOSH Pocket Guide To Chemical Hazards, click on it. I fyou scroll down a little ways you can download the Pocket Guide.
    You can also go to www.cdc.gov/niosh, click on Emergency Preparedness & Response, then in smaller letter close to the top click on NIOSH products, the non the right side click on "Order NIOSH publications". This will give you an order form, do not fill out the "Title" and "Organization" sections, put in you home address and they will send you one free book along with a CD-Rom disk. I just did about two weeks ago.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mmmdiesel View Post
    Go to www.cdc.gov, in the A-Z index on left side click on N, scroll down to NIOSH Pocket Guide To Chemical Hazards, click on it. I fyou scroll down a little ways you can download the Pocket Guide.
    You can also go to www.cdc.gov/niosh, click on Emergency Preparedness & Response, then in smaller letter close to the top click on NIOSH products, the non the right side click on "Order NIOSH publications". This will give you an order form, do not fill out the "Title" and "Organization" sections, put in you home address and they will send you one free book along with a CD-Rom disk. I just did about two weeks ago.

Thanks, but we have this one already. Good info though.

Thread Information