Forum Member

Post New Apparatus Funding ?

In our area or township fire district we receive our complete budget through taxation, only $ 25,000 - $ 50,000 is put into capital funds for the future purchase of new apparatus on annual basis.Therefore it can take 10 or more years to save for a new truck.How are new trucks or equipment purchased at your fire department,are you funded by a CITY, TOWNSHIP , FIRE DISTRICT, ETC !....

Let's talk fire trucks!

In the county where I volunteer (keeping in mind that in our area, things are much more county-based than you see in NJ), all vehicles except chief's buggies are purchased by the county government. We have 5 engines, 5 tankers, 1 medium rescue, 1 heavy rescue, and the list goes on. Vehicles are replaced on a rotating basis every 18 years.

For example, Tanker 1 and EMS 5 were replaced last year. This year, Engine 2 and Brush 3 get replaced. Next year, it's Engine 3, and the following year, it's Tanker 2. We're still pretty rural, so this replacement plan works well for us.

The volunteers spec the vehicles they want (with the approval of the other chief's in the county), but they have to be based around a set specification that the county has. The county buys the vehicle, but the volunteers have to pay for things like Roto-Rays, CD players, and the like. County government doesn't see these things as essential equipment, and they shouldn't.

At work, there is $1.25M set aside each year for apparatus purchases. We'll purchase what we need versus what we can for that amount. Two years ago, it was a tower ladder and 2 ambulances. Last year, it was 4 engines and 1 ambulance. This year, it's 3 engines and 2 ambulances.

We have a 5-person apparatus committee that completes these tasks every year. Needless to say, we can stay kind of busy.

Forum Member

Default Town Meetign Style

Many smaller towns in the northeast are run through a town meeting style government. This means (here at least) that when the department wants something besides wages for the POC personel, they have to go through the government. Obviously smaller tools don't need this and can be taken from the budget. But for apparatus purchases especially the department asks the selectman to appropriate money. The selectman then ask the warrant committee if the money is in fact warranted. Then the money is voted on at the town meeting. It sure takes a while, but means that none of the departments budget needs to be divided and have some of it set aside for future purchases.

Sorry if this is too confusing.

Forum Member

More and more departments are looking at lease/purchase because they cant wait until enough money is saved for a new piece of apparatus. For example, you can lease a $350K rig over 10 years with $25k down and have an annual payment of about $42k. After the 10 year lease, you own the vehicle. There are many companies that offer municipal leasing for fire apparatus. Check it out.
    Last edited by firepiper1; 08-28-2007 at 02:22 PM.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Forum Member

My Department has financed apparatus through the USDA Rural Development office. I was invovled in the purchase of our 1999 Rescue. We applied for $149,00,00 loan for the Rescue truck. They awarded us a Grant for $10,000.00 towards the truck so we ended up financing $139,000.00 through them. Low intrest rates and we make one payment a year. There have been other Departments in my area finance pumpers, ambulances, and even station repairs and upgrades through them. The amount of the Grant you get is based on amount borrowed and financial abilty of your Department.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by firepiper1 View Post
    More and more departments are looking at lease/purchase because they cant wait until enough money is saved for a new piece of apparatus. For example, you can lease a $350K rig over 10 years with $25k down and have an annual payment of about $42k. After the 10 year lease, you own the vehicle. There are many companies that offer municipal leasing for fire apparatus. Check it out.
    With the high cost of todays apparatus a pumper costing $ 375,000 - $ 550,000 most smaller Vol departments a " 10 year lease/purchase " sounds like the way to go. Here in Woodbridge Twp, New Jersey we must first seek " VOTER APPROVAL " at the annual fire district elections every Feb, each year because all funds are raised by " TAXATION " for the operating budget !....
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 08-28-2007 at 05:42 PM.

Some Guy

We are funded by the municipality 100%. We operate off of a master plan. Major purchases are planed years in advanced with money being put away each year.
    This space for rent

Thread Information