Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 301
  1. #1
    Forum Member MIKEYLIKESIT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Division 24
    Posts
    4,360

    Default Go back to Sweden

    Yes I mean you Dr. Svensson.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD


  2. #2
    Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,152

    Default

    Just because he's got a different opinion about how we do things, he's not welcome here? Who's to say he doesn't have a point about some of the issues?

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Borderstate
    Posts
    884

    Talking Swedish firefightering

    From Sweden, a Critical View of U.S. Firefighters


    Updated: 08-28-2007 11:52:21 AM

    "I will be impolite," Stefan Svensson PhD, Swedish firefighter and Research and Development Engineer told attendees gathered at his session on international firefighting at Fire Rescue International in Atlanta.

    "I will probably tell you things you don't like to hear."

    Svensson has reason to be blunt. Sweden has had only one firefighter death in the last seven years compared to the United State's line-of-duty total of 84 this year so far.

    Of course, it's also important to note that the population of Sweden is just over 9 million compared to the United State's population of over 302 million. And that at last check, (2005) the U.S. Fire Administration found there were about 1,136,650 firefighters in the United States compared to Svensson's total of about 16,000 for Sweden.

    Despite those numbers, Sweden's record is impressive. Especially when one considers that, according to the U.S. Fire Administration, almost half of last year's 106 line of duty deaths came not from horrible accidents at the scene of raging fires - but from heart attacks.

    Svensson did not mince words as he compared the way firefighters in the United States do their jobs, compared to those in his country.

    One such difference, he said, was the way U.S. firefighters see themselves.

    He said American firefighters take pride in being heroes - sometimes putting a heroic act ahead of a safe one. He said American firefighters think it is heroic to die saving someone else's life. But, Svensson contends, "it's not ok to die from anything but old age."

    "We aren't heroes - it's a job," he told attendees. "It's not a mission - it's a job."

    Svensson said firefighter training in the two countries is also very different. He said Swedish firefighters are given training grounded in science enabling them to understand the fire.

    "We want them (firefighters) to understand physics, chemistry and how to handle basic situations," he said.

    He said instead of teaching 'use a lot of water on the fire, the more the better,' firefighters should be trained to ask 'why is it burning and how do we put it out in a safe way?'

    American firefighters, Svensson said, are interested in ways of getting out of trouble, rather than avoiding trouble in the first place.

    Svensson compared Rapid Intervention Teams to seatbelts. He said just as a driver may say 'I have a seatbelt, it's ok to go faster,' a firefighter may engage in dangerous behavior on the fireground because they have the Rapid Intervention Teams to help get them to safety.

    "(There is) a dangerous situation and you are sending more people inside," he asked. "That's stupid."

    Svensson proposed some solutions to the problems he pointed out. First, he proposed that higher-ups institute monetary punishments for firefighters who are not safe. He suggested fines ranging from $100 to $900 for firefighters who fail to wear personal protection equipment, venture into places they ought not on the fire ground or fail to take a medical examination. He also suggested a bonus for firefighters who use SCBA.

    He said American firefighters must encourage safe behavior, rather than heroic deeds, change the way they train, and change unrealistic attitudes about firefighting.

    "It's not about getting to the scene at any cost. It's about getting home."


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO-IJ7EYwDE
    Last edited by coldfront; 08-28-2007 at 01:02 PM.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

    Hillbilly Irish!

  4. #4
    the 4-1-4 Jasper 45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ...A great place, on a Great Lake
    Posts
    2,783

    Default

    I just read the article; Mikey, I'm with you.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Borderstate
    Posts
    884
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

    Hillbilly Irish!

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    This idiot should stick to making furniture and meatballs.



    We had a few sweedish firemen vist the firehouse...they told us flat out they don't see fire and they don't do what we do. We traded explanations of how they operate and how we operate. They were from the 4th Largest city in Sweeden

    Needless to say we come from very different worlds and this moron with a doctorate doesn't know the first thing about American firemen and what we do or don't think.

    It is rare to see such ignorance from a Doctor...but not unprecedented.

    I too will be impolite Dr. You are an ignorant coward who wouldn't amount to the biggest POS in my deptartment! F-%* off!

    FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 08-28-2007 at 01:14 PM.

  7. #7
    Forum Member frenchfireball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lyon,france
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coldfront View Post
    From Sweden, a Critical View of U.S. Firefighters


    Updated: 08-28-2007 11:52:21 AM

    "I will be impolite," Stefan Svensson PhD, Swedish firefighter and Research and Development Engineer told attendees gathered at his session on international firefighting at Fire Rescue International in Atlanta.

    "I will probably tell you things you don't like to hear."

    Svensson has reason to be blunt. Sweden has had only one firefighter death in the last seven years compared to the United State's line-of-duty total of 84 this year so far.

    Of course, it's also important to note that the population of Sweden is just over 9 million compared to the United State's population of over 302 million. And that at last check, (2005) the U.S. Fire Administration found there were about 1,136,650 firefighters in the United States compared to Svensson's total of about 16,000 for Sweden.

    Despite those numbers, Sweden's record is impressive. Especially when one considers that, according to the U.S. Fire Administration, almost half of last year's 106 line of duty deaths came not from horrible accidents at the scene of raging fires - but from heart attacks.

    Svensson did not mince words as he compared the way firefighters in the United States do their jobs, compared to those in his country.

    One such difference, he said, was the way U.S. firefighters see themselves.

    He said American firefighters take pride in being heroes - sometimes putting a heroic act ahead of a safe one. He said American firefighters think it is heroic to die saving someone else's life. But, Svensson contends, "it's not ok to die from anything but old age."

    "We aren't heroes - it's a job," he told attendees. "It's not a mission - it's a job."

    Svensson said firefighter training in the two countries is also very different. He said Swedish firefighters are given training grounded in science enabling them to understand the fire.

    "We want them (firefighters) to understand physics, chemistry and how to handle basic situations," he said.

    He said instead of teaching 'use a lot of water on the fire, the more the better,' firefighters should be trained to ask 'why is it burning and how do we put it out in a safe way?'

    American firefighters, Svensson said, are interested in ways of getting out of trouble, rather than avoiding trouble in the first place.

    Svensson compared Rapid Intervention Teams to seatbelts. He said just as a driver may say 'I have a seatbelt, it's ok to go faster,' a firefighter may engage in dangerous behavior on the fireground because they have the Rapid Intervention Teams to help get them to safety.

    "(There is) a dangerous situation and you are sending more people inside," he asked. "That's stupid."

    Svensson proposed some solutions to the problems he pointed out. First, he proposed that higher-ups institute monetary punishments for firefighters who are not safe. He suggested fines ranging from $100 to $900 for firefighters who fail to wear personal protection equipment, venture into places they ought not on the fire ground or fail to take a medical examination. He also suggested a bonus for firefighters who use SCBA.

    He said American firefighters must encourage safe behavior, rather than heroic deeds, change the way they train, and change unrealistic attitudes about firefighting.

    "It's not about getting to the scene at any cost. It's about getting home."


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO-IJ7EYwDE
    the video posted,is great,funny one.

    now concerning the article,and from my point of view it is a total lack of respect towards the US fire service.each country has its way of dealing with firefighting.

    if he wanted to "help" someone with his article and his advice,for me,after reading it,i just think he is a man who claims to know everything.
    "sauver ou périr"

    "courage et dévouement"

    2 french mottoes in french fire service.

  8. #8
    makes good girls go bad BLSboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    On the beach, Fla/OCNJ
    Posts
    2,859

    Default

    HotTrotter, you aren't Sweedish, are you?!?!?!?!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

  9. #9
    makes good girls go bad BLSboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    On the beach, Fla/OCNJ
    Posts
    2,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coldfront View Post
    From Sweden, a Critical View of U.S. Firefighters


    Updated: 08-28-2007 11:52:21 AM

    "I will be impolite," Stefan Svensson PhD, Swedish firefighter and Research and Development Engineer told attendees gathered at his session on international firefighting at Fire Rescue International in Atlanta.

    "I will probably tell you things you don't like to hear."

    Svensson has reason to be blunt. Sweden has had only one firefighter death in the last seven years compared to the United State's line-of-duty total of 84 this year so far.

    Of course, it's also important to note that the population of Sweden is just over 9 million compared to the United State's population of over 302 million. And that at last check, (2005) the U.S. Fire Administration found there were about 1,136,650 firefighters in the United States compared to Svensson's total of about 16,000 for Sweden.

    Despite those numbers, Sweden's record is impressive. Especially when one considers that, according to the U.S. Fire Administration, almost half of last year's 106 line of duty deaths came not from horrible accidents at the scene of raging fires - but from heart attacks.

    Svensson did not mince words as he compared the way firefighters in the United States do their jobs, compared to those in his country.

    One such difference, he said, was the way U.S. firefighters see themselves.

    He said American firefighters take pride in being heroes - sometimes putting a heroic act ahead of a safe one. He said American firefighters think it is heroic to die saving someone else's life. But, Svensson contends, "it's not ok to die from anything but old age."

    "We aren't heroes - it's a job," he told attendees. "It's not a mission - it's a job."

    Svensson said firefighter training in the two countries is also very different. He said Swedish firefighters are given training grounded in science enabling them to understand the fire.

    "We want them (firefighters) to understand physics, chemistry and how to handle basic situations," he said.

    He said instead of teaching 'use a lot of water on the fire, the more the better,' firefighters should be trained to ask 'why is it burning and how do we put it out in a safe way?'

    American firefighters, Svensson said, are interested in ways of getting out of trouble, rather than avoiding trouble in the first place.

    Svensson compared Rapid Intervention Teams to seatbelts. He said just as a driver may say 'I have a seatbelt, it's ok to go faster,' a firefighter may engage in dangerous behavior on the fireground because they have the Rapid Intervention Teams to help get them to safety.

    "(There is) a dangerous situation and you are sending more people inside," he asked. "That's stupid."

    Svensson proposed some solutions to the problems he pointed out. First, he proposed that higher-ups institute monetary punishments for firefighters who are not safe. He suggested fines ranging from $100 to $900 for firefighters who fail to wear personal protection equipment, venture into places they ought not on the fire ground or fail to take a medical examination. He also suggested a bonus for firefighters who use SCBA.

    He said American firefighters must encourage safe behavior, rather than heroic deeds, change the way they train, and change unrealistic attitudes about firefighting.

    "It's not about getting to the scene at any cost. It's about getting home."


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO-IJ7EYwDE
    Hey Doc! We also have NFPA 1403, which forbids the use of accelerants in setting a controlled burn. So nice to see you guys follow safety procedures.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    This guy is not an idiot. This guy did not insult fire fighters. He expressed his opinion of the American fire service in general. This is nothing more than a cultural difference.

    Of course Swedish FF do not see the fire that many of you do. They are one of the most aggressive nations in the world when it comes to preventing fires. Their fire fighting culture is different than ours. For example, their training includes alot of information about the science of fire. The purpose is to understand fire from a scientific standpoint. I realize that science class is not as exciting as humping hose into a living room fire, but there is certainly some validity to a science-based training curriculum. Look at some of the LODD incidents over the past several years, in at least some of these cases, a more thorough understanding of the science of fire may have prevented the incident. I'm not giving examples because that is not the point.

    The point is that many US fire fighters are totally ignorant to fire dynamics. Fire is not a "beast" as some describe it. It is a completely predictable scientific phenomenon. Given the same exact conditions, it will burn the same way every time. Understanding the science of fire and recognizing that there has never been two fires with the same conditions ever, would allow the fire fighter to possibly apply the science to the situation and recognize when something bad is likely to happen. You can all think of LODD's or even fires where this was an issue.

    Some of you are no better than street thugs. When someone disagrees with you or speaks ill of the fire service, you translate that to be "disrespect" and want to fight.

    For the record, I believe that fighting fire in the US using Swedish methods would not work. I also believe that the good doctor does not have a good understanding of the traditions of the US fire service. I also believe he is clearly an advocate for the Swedish fire service.

    But I do believe there may be some validity to some of his points.

  11. #11
    EuroFirefighter Batt18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    This guy is not an idiot. This guy did not insult fire fighters. He expressed his opinion of the American fire service in general. This is nothing more than a cultural difference.

    The point is that many US fire fighters are totally ignorant to fire dynamics. Fire is not a "beast" as some describe it. It is a completely predictable scientific phenomenon. Given the same exact conditions, it will burn the same way every time. Understanding the science of fire and recognizing that there has never been two fires with the same conditions ever, would allow the fire fighter to possibly apply the science to the situation and recognize when something bad is likely to happen. You can all think of LODD's or even fires where this was an issue.

    Some of you are no better than street thugs. When someone disagrees with you or speaks ill of the fire service, you translate that to be "disrespect" and want to fight.

    For the record, I believe that fighting fire in the US using Swedish methods would not work. I also believe that the good doctor does not have a good understanding of the traditions of the US fire service. I also believe he is clearly an advocate for the Swedish fire service.

    But I do believe there may be some validity to some of his points.
    VERY well said George!

  12. #12
    Truckie SPFDRum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 1999
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    2,511

    Default

    Well all be, another foreign know-it-all expert on American firefighting. Although he has never once fought a fire in a large urban setting here in the United States.
    Our firefighting would be a simple walk in the park if we didn't have row housing, tenement laws, balloon construction, grandfather clauses allowing code deviation, and the list goes on. Hell, if we all had concrete block houses such as Sweden, there wouldn't be the need for a fire department-let the contents burn out, sweep them up, put in a new window and move in.
    I guess a country that has never had a hero would stoop to the level of bashing others.
    Given the same exact conditions, it will burn the same way every time.
    Well I guess then there would be no need for fire investigators; oh wait, when was the last time you saw the exact same conditions?
    Last edited by SPFDRum; 08-28-2007 at 01:44 PM.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    Well I guess then there would be no need for fire investigators; oh wait, when was the last time you saw the exact same conditions?
    Why didn't you quote one more sentence?

    It is a completely predictable scientific phenomenon. Given the same exact conditions, it will burn the same way every time. Understanding the science of fire and recognizing that there has never been two fires with the same conditions ever, would allow the fire fighter to possibly apply the science to the situation and recognize when something bad is likely to happen. You can all think of LODD's or even fires where this was an issue.
    So much for intellectual honesty, huh?

  14. #14
    Forum Member firehat87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Houston, TX, USA
    Posts
    29

    Angry

    European tactis would never work here. If everything we ever went to was built in masonry construction in the last 50 years we MIGHT be able to get away with the gun-shy attitude, but in America you'd be signing the death warrants of thousands and thousands of citizens and the demolition orders for even greater numbers of buildings. And I'm sorry, I won't apologize for taking pride in the bravery of my brother firefighters or pretend like I'd look at my job the same way if we just stood outside and squirted water in through the windows.
    In time

  15. #15
    EuroFirefighter Batt18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    Hell, if we all had concrete block houses such as Sweden,
    Yep!! You sure do know a lot about Sweden!!!! Intellect??!!!

  16. #16
    Forum Member Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    SSDD. Two different cultures,two different ways of doing business.As far as fires being the same under exact conditions,I agree.IN A LAB! NEVER,and this is one time I can say never,are fire conditions the same in an accidental or incendiary fire.There is always a "wild card".Whether or not that card gets played is random.Knowing the science of fire definitely helps you in extinguishing it.But European building construction is different than ours,therefore the methods used are different.We lose way too many during the course of a year.But all the players need to be proactive and on the same page to lower the numbers.Sometimes,despite your best efforts,a tragic event will put you or yours in that position.But taking no preventative measures only increases you chances.To the dark side.There is no easy answer but there is hope.Follow the lessons of those who have gone before and you will be on your way to lowering those numbers.Permanently. T.C.

  17. #17
    makes good girls go bad BLSboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    On the beach, Fla/OCNJ
    Posts
    2,859

    Default

    Imma go grab me some popcorn, this is gonna be at least a 4 pager.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

  18. #18
    EuroFirefighter Batt18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firehat87 View Post
    European tactis would never work here. If everything we ever went to was built in masonry construction in the last 50 years we MIGHT be able to get away with the gun-shy attitude, but in America you'd be signing the death warrants of thousands and thousands of citizens and the demolition orders for even greater numbers of buildings. And I'm sorry, I won't apologize for taking pride in the bravery of my brother firefighters or pretend like I'd look at my job the same way if we just stood outside and squirted water in through the windows.
    LOLLLLL!!!!!!!

  19. #19
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1

    Cool Yes Indeed!

    Yes indeed! Dr. Svensson is absolutely right! It's ashame no U.S. Fire Chief or Administrator had the political guts to stand up and admit the same thing. Dr. Svensson is entitled to his opinion and every firefighter in the United States should listen to his advice. Those who ridicule or lend a deaf ear to his words volunteer or career, will be the very ones who perish next.

    So those of you at the top who make the big money to make the big decisions, put your budget to good use and plan a trip to Sweden and visit Dr. Svensson and learn something!

  20. #20
    EuroFirefighter Batt18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ccangemi View Post
    Yes indeed! Dr. Svensson is absolutely right! It's ashame no U.S. Fire Chief or Administrator had the political guts to stand up and admit the same thing. Dr. Svensson is entitled to his opinion and every firefighter in the United States should listen to his advice. Those who ridicule or lend a deaf ear to his words volunteer or career, will be the very ones who perish next.

    So those of you at the top who make the big money to make the big decisions, put your budget to good use and plan a trip to Sweden and visit Dr. Svensson and learn something!
    EXCELLENT!!!!! Welcome

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. MI Firefighters relinquish back pay
    By MaddogDFD5 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-04-2006, 08:37 PM
  2. One for Norm. Ship 'em air freight
    By scfire86 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 02-08-2006, 09:48 AM
  3. She's Back
    By CaptainS in forum News Center
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 12-28-2005, 11:33 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-11-2002, 09:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts