Thread: 20K and a CPAT

Show me a Scania vehicle

Default 20K and a CPAT

I'm training for a 20k trail run that's in about two months and my CPAT is about two weeks before that.

Has anyone successfully ran long distances in preperation for or during CPAT training and still maintained enough strength for the CPAT?

What I've found is that the more I run, the "weaker" in the upper body I've got. I've passed the CPAT everytime I've ran it. I just don't want my running to get in the way of my CPAT times.

Forum Member

Can you combine the trainings for both events into an alternating workout? I might think the long distance running would help you with endurance for the short term such that your speed would counteract some of the weakness in weight events. Also, what about running with weight on ankles/arms or chest? It was my experience that cardiovascular health was key to not crashing even in the 10 minute CPAT, and if you're training for the 20k event you should do pretty well anyway. I'd probably still train for the individual events including the stairmaster with weights & upper body strength training. There might be better thoughts out there from others who have experienced similar situations. Good luck!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

MembersZone Subscriber

Dont worry. If you can run a 20k then dont sweat the cpat. Do deadlifts, push-ups and run the stairs. The cpat is a piece of cake you will do fine.

Forum Member

I was running a lot the first time I did the CPAT as well. Maybe not as much as prep for a 20K, but about 40K or so a week. I was also doing weight training twice a week, heavy weights, major muscle groups and I didn't have a problem. As long as you're training, you'll be fine. I've seen guys who did nothing but weights fail because they didn't have the endurance to make it through... you'll be fine.
    Vita brevis; terra larga.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I have done both as well...

You are right... al the running causes muscle wasting. As (sort of) mentioned above... I would run 3 days- put your miles into those days.
    Then I would do weight vest one day. Read here for help on this. This ramp up os probably way too slow for you!!!)
    Plus:
    I would do Upper Body 1 day, and both upper and lower another day, and take the 7th day off.

You'll be fine.

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com

Show me a Scania vehicle

Default Just gets easier

Quote Originally Posted by Beiner View Post
    ...I've passed the CPAT everytime I've ran it. I just don't want my running to get in the way of my CPAT times.
    Quite the opposite. The more I've run and biked, the better I feel during the CPAT. I get finished and have plenty more energy.

I'd suggest that you workout a little like a Navy Seal and you'll see your PAT times slowly dwindle.

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beiner View Post
    Quite the opposite. The more I've run and biked, the better I feel during the CPAT. I get finished and have plenty more energy.

I'd suggest that you workout a little like a Navy Seal and you'll see your PAT times slowly dwindle.
    I second this. As long as you are doing Intervals and hill sprints and working out with big muscle movements you can pass the ChicksPhysicalAbilityTest.

You'll be working out in the vein of the SEALS, PJS, Rangers, at the academy anyway, and the academy will get you in far better shape then an entrance test you train for by yourself.

The CPAT is always described as "weird" by people on this site. Its because they see guys who look jacked fail at the stepmill...well any grunt can figure out that bodybuilding has nothing to do with real world strength and endurance. Real strength endurance is about getting the most power out of the leanest muscles. Thats why you'll see "fit" or "small" looking people ace the test without being winded for more then 20 seconds after. Look at pictures of rangers, seals, and PJs, none of them are huge, but they all can run faster, lift heavy, and laster longer then anyone else...that should point to how you should train.

One last thing, while you might read politicaly correct statements saying the CPAT was designed for a national standard of testing, if you actually look into it, it was designed to bring more women into the fire service by enlisting a physical easy enough for them to pass, that looked good on paper. If you can't pass the CPAT, or your time is 10:19, that should tell you you aren't training hard enough. Now before I end this, there are definitaly some tough girls out there who could pass a lot harder of tests, and I think women can do anything they set their mind to just like us dudes...but realistically thats why the test was implemented.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with all above.... especially the stuff about women. There are some seriously tough women out there... and the CPAT was designed to be very uniform... and a basic measure of the beginnings of what it takes to enter a fire academy... and train to be a firefighter.

I also think the keddle bells are great for training. Anything to keep it interesting and effective!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drjmilus View Post
    I agree with all above.... especially the stuff about women. There are some seriously tough women out there... and the CPAT was designed to be very uniform... and a basic measure of the beginnings of what it takes to enter a fire academy... and train to be a firefighter.

I also think the keddle bells are great for training. Anything to keep it interesting and effective!
    Hi Dr., just wondering what your certifications are. I only ask simply because you are offering advice as a doctor on the internet and it's always good to know what your expertise is. Thanks in advance.
    Vita brevis; terra larga.

Thread Information