Forum Member

Default Live-in Students

Hey all, im from maine and my department has a live in program through a local college for students who are in the Fire science program. i was once a live in student at the department im still currentlly on and i loved every minuite of it. Just curious to see who else on this forum has heard of the live in program or is in it or is looking to get into it or if someone who is interested in it. i think that the live in program is one of the biggest building blocks in the future fire fighters coming through the ages. it helps them to get the on job training and a different out look on the fire service. so let me know and if you want more info about the live in program let me know

Forum Member

Yep. Plenty of places have a live in program.

Bethesda Chevy Chase Rescue Squad (Md)
    Rockville Volunteer Fire Department (Md)
    Kentland Volunteer Fire Department (Md)
    Riverdale Volunteer Fire Department (Md)

That is just a few. A ton of depts in metro DC have live in programs.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by edff322 View Post
    Hey all, im from maine and my department has a live in program through a local college for students who are in the Fire science program.
    By chance Scarborough?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a list I came up with last October. I'd post it here, but it's about 4 pages long.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

Forum Member

Another option is find a college that operates a fire department or rescue squad.

At one time (back in the 70's), there were 4 Vermont colleges that operated student staffed FDs. Goddard College in Plainfield, Lyndon State in Lydonville, Norwich University and St. Micheal's in Colchester. Lyndon also operated 2 ambulances, as well as St. Micheal's and University of VT in Burlington.

On the fire side, only St. Micheal's operates today. Goddard closed. Lyndon stopped funding it's FD, and Norwich rolled a truck killing 2 or 3 members, and the school shut down the program.

The SMFD operates as a battelion of the Colchester Center Volunteer Fire Company with an engine and hose/utility truck as the first due engine on campus and in the surrounding area of town. It also is the first due engine to the city of Winooski and 2nd due to Malletts Bay FD as part of the department's automatic mutual aid package.

The CCVFC runs 600 fire calls a year, and the SMFD is dispatched on all of them. In fact, the SMFD is first due at the majority of the CCVFC's working commercial and apartment building fires.

All members are trained to CCVFC standards and participate in all CCVFC training programs.

On the rescue side, St. Micheal's still operates on campus and is first due transport to 3 communties. UVM recently lost it's first due district when South Burlington started running transport, but they still cover a large chunk of interstate as first due and 1 community. I beleive they are 2nd due to South Burlington, but 343 would know that for sure. Lyndon was taken over by a community group, and stills runs out of the same building on campus but is a staffed agency.

I do not know of any other college run FDs out there, but there very well may be some.

By the way, I am not an employee of St Mike's, but I was a long-time member of the CCVFC and have seen the great work these kids do. It's a great option .. and a really great place to gop to school if ya like to ski, hike and play in the lake or streams.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 09-03-2007 at 09:01 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Another option is find a college that operates a fire department or rescue squad.

At one time (back in the 70's), there were 4 Vermont colleges that operated student staffed FDs. Goddard College in Plainfield, Lyndon State in Lydonville, Norwich University and St. Micheal's in Colchester. Lyndon also operated 2 ambulances, as well as St. Micheal's and University of VT in Burlington.

On the fire side, only St. Micheal's operates today. Goddard closed. Lyndon stopped funding it's FD, and Norwich rolled a truck killing 2 or 3 members, and the school shut down the program.

The SMFD operates as a battelion of the Colchester Center Volunteer Fire Company with an engine and hose/utility truck as the first due engine on campus and in the surrounding area of town. It also is the first due engine to the city of Winooski and 2nd due to Malletts Bay FD as part of the department's automatic mutual aid package.

The CCVFC runs 600 fire calls a year, and the SMFD is dispatched on all of them. In fact, the SMFD is first due at the majority of the CCVFC's working commercial and apartment building fires.

All members are trained to CCVFC standards and participate in all CCVFC training programs.

On the rescue side, St. Micheal's still operates on campus and is first due transport to 3 communties. UVM recently lost it's first due district when South Burlington started running transport, but they still cover a large chunk of interstate as first due and 1 community. I beleive they are 2nd due to South Burlington, but 343 would know that for sure. Lyndon was taken over by a community group, and stills runs out of the same building on campus but is a staffed agency.

I do not know of any other college run FDs out there, but there very well may be some.

By the way, I am not an employee of St Mike's, but I was a long-time member of the CCVFC and have seen the great work these kids do. It's a great option .. and a really great place to gop to school if ya like to ski, hike and play in the lake or streams.
    I got my EMT-B through Lyndon Rescue in 2003-2004. That squad opened my eyes to rural ems in a very busy private company. I know that the department is active in recruitment as well as obtaining the top of the line EMS equipment available. I recommend this department for any college student in the NEK and to those from LRI that helped train me I want to again say thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Here in Syracuse, New York, there are a handful of vollie departments who offer this opportunity. All departments require the student to already be a member of a fire department, and already be at the firefighter 1 level, but not all departments require that the student is enrolled in fire protection type classes. Some departments here run a tight ship and have a very organized system of how the student bunk-in program is run, and some are more laid back.

My department currently has room for (6) live in students. Two bedrooms at one station, and one bedroom at the other. Each bedroom houses two students. Currently, we have two male students at one station, and a female and male student at the other. Obviously the female student has her own private room, however her room is set up for a second female student if one applied. My department requires the students to be from outside our County, and also requires the students to be at full time status, and enrolled in fire protection technology at our local community college. The students are allowed to have a job, can come and go as they please, but are supposed to answer all alarms while they are at the station. We understand that school is first priority, so if a call comes in that may make them late for class if they respond, they are not required to go. Our system and how the program is run is good, but not the best I have seen.

In my opinion, this is how I believe a student bunk-in program should run.

Although the student should obviously already be a member of a fire department, and already be firefighter 1 qualified, I do not feel that they should have to be majoring in fire protection technology. Two of the largest colleges here in Syracuse don't even teach fire protection technology, and I could care less if they want to major in something else. I am looking at the benefit of putting a trained firefighter on the truck when the bell hits and their not in school.

Students should be required to do a certain amount of work around the station. I am not talking about sweeping floors and cleaning toilets. I am talking about checking the apparatus, testing the tools, and inspecting the EMS bags and equipment. This should be recorded in a book where the students can sign off when they have done this.

As for students allowed to have jobs, that is fine but remember, your housing them for free so that you too can gain out of this. Having a student so busy with work, school, and screw off time that they are not around often pretty much turns out to be a free place to live instead of a true run program. Limitations should be applied.

If you put together a good and organized program, both you and the students can benefit from a great program!
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

Forum Member

MPVFD ..

I also attended Lyndon and ran on the now defunk Fire Department (serving as Chief for almost 2 years) and on the Rescue Squad from 1979-1983.

I was on the squad at the time we made the transition from the Cadilliac and the Pontaic to the Type I and then the Type II.

It was a great place to run and it was truly unfortunate what happened to it.

I was back there just this summer and seeing the old squad building really brought back some memories.

Forum Member

Not exactly a live in program, but at Fayetteville State University in Fayetteville, NC, as a part of the degree program, has a required internship that lasts a semester in which you get on the job training with the Fayetteville Fire Department.

Forum Member

Default I miss it there

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    MPVFD ..

I also attended Lyndon and ran on the now defunk Fire Department (serving as Chief for almost 2 years) and on the Rescue Squad from 1979-1983.

I was on the squad at the time we made the transition from the Cadilliac and the Pontaic to the Type I and then the Type II.

It was a great place to run and it was truly unfortunate what happened to it.

I was back there just this summer and seeing the old squad building really brought back some memories.
    La,

I really owe a lot to the men and women up there who helped me while in EMT school. I miss very a lot now that I have moved back down south. Just recently I passed my EMT-I registry exam and could not have done that without the discipline that was taught to me by the members at LRI. I just hope that with all that has gone on up there, that the rescue squad continues to thrive. By the way, one of the members of LRI founded a Wildland Firefighting team out of the Newark Volunteer Fire Department. This member was able to get students from Lyndon to join and as far as I know the program is still going on (just thought I would ad an update from the NEK).

Stay safe and good talking to you

Thread Information