MembersZone Subscriber

Default LOTS of hiring this year

Besides Appleton and Brookfield which just stopped taking apps, a few others are as well.

Greenfield(taking apps till Sep. 4)- FF1, EMT-B

Oak Creek(taking apps till Sep 14)- FF2, EMT-B (These guys really want MPO and Paramedic. They WILL require you to be a medic if hired.)

South Milwaukee- This is my dept, but they are not hiring yet. The Chief said sometime within the next month or so. They will require FF2, EMT-B, and either 2 years experience OR 2 years of college. I'm not even eligible for a full time spot at my own dept. haha

Milwaukee- One of my teachers at MATC said that Milwaukee has about 90 openings. There is one class in the academy right now, so it will be about 70 at the end of the year. Next list should be a good list to get on.

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post

Milwaukee- One of my teachers at MATC said that Milwaukee has about 90 openings. There is one class in the academy right now, so it will be about 70 at the end of the year. Next list should be a good list to get on.

The last union meeting I was at, we officially have 61 vacancies with a class of 24 in the school right now.
    There will be more retirements before the end of the year, not sure on how many, but there will be some.
    keep in mind the budget process, as well. We are still looking at losing another 40 or so positions for next year; the preliminary budget from the office of the mayor put the fire department needing to reduce 3 million dollars or so.

This current list is dead, though. A new exam will happen in the spring of 2008.
    Not trying to pee in your corn flakes, just passing along as current of information I have.

MembersZone Subscriber

Okay thanks. Maybe the guy that told me knew exactly how many were retiring or something. I didn't know you worked for MFD. How do you like it?

MembersZone Subscriber

Green Bay is also hiring- FF2 and Associate Degree in Fire Science I think

Forum Member

i have class downtown, and also have my fire classes in oak creek. Between my classes dwntown i walk past the firehouse downtown look at the apparatus. I have been lookin on the milwaukee fire department website and was wondering if you have to offically pick the app at city hall downtown.

the 4-1-4

Check this link for official information, or call 414-286-5071.

http://www.city.milwaukee.gov/JobOpportunities728.htm

The Fire and Police Commission is the only authority on the subject of hiring. They make all of the decisions with recruitment, testing (all aspects), additional points eligibility, frequency of testing, etc..., as well as all of our promotional exams.

They and they alone make all of those decisions, the department has absolutely no input for any of the process, and really can't help you out with any aspect of the exam.

All indications are that a new exam will be given in 2008, from various sources I don't wish to get into. There are also classes in the budget for 2008. How many people and when are all up in the air. We have to see what happens with the '08 budget process, the current recruit class in school, and whether or not a new contract is signed. Many guys wait to see what the new contract is prior to pulling, and negotiations are happening right now. There is alot of time variables, but there will most likely be two classes. they don't put them in the budget request without intending to push them thru.

My advice is to contact the commission, and keep in contact with them. They tell the department almost nothing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    Green Bay is also hiring- FF2 and Associate Degree in Fire Science I think
    Yep, GB is doing testing for hires this year. More than likely the recruit class will be in April. Although there are several planned retirements for the end of the year and the start of next year, so there should be several availabilities.

Thread Information