MembersZone Subscriber

Default looking to work in italy

my wife is going to be studying in italy for a year and i'm looking for work. I am an FDNY firefighter and I'm also a paramedic. Any info would helpout. Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gregsq41 View Post
    my wife is going to be studying in italy for a year and i'm looking for work. I am an FDNY firefighter and I'm also a paramedic. Any info would helpout. Thanks
    Sorry, don't have any info on working in Italy, but if you're going to be gone for a year, mind if I fill in for you? If we're similiar height and build, you won't have to put in for leave or vacation or quit, and I'll send you 40 percent of your pay Just something to kick around.

Best of luck finding help on the Italy issue. I hear its beautiful over there.

Forum Member

Working in Italy - yeah that would be cool! the dream of every backpacker that has ever been there is to be able to stay and actually earn money while being there... I envy anyone who gets the opportunity to do so!

Now, on a practical side, unless your Italian is language skills are good, your options will be limited. What it will take is some aggressive sleuthing to turn something up. Since you're a medic and an NYFD guy I think you have some experience in being smart and aggressive - it will definitely take both to find gainful employment over there...

A few suggestions:
    You didn't mention what city your wife will be studying in. In Naples there is a large US base that has some jobs that are open to civilians. Check http://www.usajobs.gov/ and under "search jobs" put in Italy. Right now they have 8 jobs available. A lot of times these jobs are posted vets or Dependants only, but they can lead you to a job for you. Don't be discouraged if you're not "eligible" to apply. I would call over there to the base and talk to the base firefighters or ED hospital personnel, they may have some ideas. Can you teach CPR or ACLS, maybe a trauma course?

People everywhere want to learn English. You can put a local ad in a paper or one on the Internet.

Embassies and consolutes sometimes hire. You could work in a US, British or Australian facility.

While I think paramedics are the finest healthcare providers in the world, your work choices are limited, but there may be some local clinics in the big cities that treat ex-pats, a simple medical job might be found there.

Here's an interesting thread http://www.expatfocus.com/index.php?...viewtopic&t=71

Also check out www.ihen.com for living arrangements, want to trade your house in New York for a year with an Italian family? Maybe you can make it happen...

Sounds like a great time, let us know what works out...

Peace

JJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default looking to work in italy

I was stationed there for 3 years in venceza and I know they have DOD civilan Firefighters there. I'm not sure where you will be located at but if I can help let me know I still know some people there.

Forum Member

You might have some trouble finding work in Italy unless its with the DOD or some U.S. organization. In the EU, they hire EU citizens first, and then outsiders have a shot at jobs. So unless you can gain citizenship to some EU country, working for an italian based buisness would be very very hard. I'd imagine municipalities there are even harder to get into if you aren't EU

Thread Information