1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber
    osh599's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Mi
    Posts
    117

    Question 75' Telesqurt Quint

    I was wondering how many other departments out there have a newer model 75' telesqurt since this model was redesigned to fit on a single rear axle.

    If you do have one, are you content with the truck or wished you purchased a ladder of equal length instead?

    There are pros and cons to using both the Telesqurt and a straight ladder.

    The main selling point in our case was the one man setup operation of the Telesqurt. From time of setting the air brake to having the boom at 60 degrees, full elevation is roughly 3 1/2 minutes.

    Since I have absolutely no experience with a 75' straight ladder, I can not even compare the setup times with one person.
    Jim Shultz
    Oshtemo Fire Dept
    Fleet Maintenance Specialist

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Chauffeur6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Metro NY
    Posts
    613

    Default

    3.5 minutes from start to finish? Wow, that seems like a very long time. I can setup our 75' rearmount by myself in under that time for sure, including having the ladder fully extended and elevated. There is very little setup difference between a single axle/single outrigger 75' ladder and Telesquirt. The ladder is also obviously a hell of a lot more versatile as well.

    I don't mean to sound like a "ladder snob", but I just don't see any real benefit to purchasing a 75' Telesquirt over a 75' ladder. Both trucks can be had in nearly identical configurations and options, including the aforementioned single axle and single set of rear outriggers. Both can be had as quints with 300 gallon or better gallon tanks. Both are nearly the same height and length. Of course, there are many factors to take into account, not the least of which is who builds the rig and what material the ladder and body are made from, which will obviously affect the weight of the truck and tip load. The main advantage of the Telesquirt is probably the extremely small outrigger footprint, but then again certain rearmount ladders have very short spreads as well.

    If your primary concern is rescue, then I just can't see going with a Telesquirt. If you're going for nothing more than an elevated master stream, then I suppose a Telesquirt would fit the bill just fine. My personal opinion is that the "ladder" on top of the Telesquirt is not really meant to be climbed unless absolutely necessary.

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Rockford, Mn
    Posts
    146

    Default

    I agree with Chauff that 3.5 minutes seems like a long time. My dept. has a 2001 HP 75 with aluminum ladder quint and one person should be able to have water flowing through the tip within the 3.5 minutes. I guess it depends upon the size of your dept. I know a few depts closer to minneapolis have squrts but it seems as though they aren't as popular. Ladders are just more versatile also.

    Be safe out there.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    zfdtruckman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Suburban Chicago
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Our 105' straight stick can have the front wheels chocked, stabilizers set and ladder deployed well under the time frame you want.

    Anyone purchasing a squirt must have their reasons but I would bet you would use a ladder for roof and window access much more than the need for an elevated master stream.

    Before you are set on a 75' ladder, have a neighboring department with one come and set up at your target hazards. You will find the 75' unit useless on residential occupancies with a setback and also on your commercial and business structures. You can have a 100+' ladder on a single axle if you delete a pump and tank. How many times do you need to use the master stream on your aerial with no engine available to supply it?

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Woodbridge Twp, New Jersey
    Posts
    863

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by zfdtruckman View Post
    Our 105' straight stick can have the front wheels chocked, stabilizers set and ladder deployed well under the time frame you want.

    Anyone purchasing a squirt must have their reasons but I would bet you would use a ladder for roof and window access much more than the need for an elevated master stream.

    Before you are set on a 75' ladder, have a neighboring department with one come and set up at your target hazards. You will find the 75' unit useless on residential occupancies with a setback and also on your commercial and business structures. You can have a 100+' ladder on a single axle if you delete a pump and tank. How many times do you need to use the master stream on your aerial with no engine available to supply it?
    A 100'-105' Aerial can be had on a single rear axle chassis, no pump,no tank , truck company stick. Are you talking a " HD steel ladder -or- a Alum unit ? I have seen older " E-One aerials on a single rear axle !....
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 09-04-2007 at 08:02 PM.

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    kennett square, PA
    Posts
    143

    Default

    You can have a 102' aerial with a pump and tank on a single axle and it comes complete with a shopping cart!
    METZ AERIALS: "SO EASY A CAVEMAN CAN USE THEM"

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Res343cue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Your 1st due.
    Posts
    1,651

    Default

    How many feet of ground ladders?
    How big of a water tank?
    How much hose carried?
    How many cubic feet of compartment space?

    Anyone can build you a truck with just the aerial, a pump, and a tank. Doesn't mean it's necessarily designed right or the best for the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

    I A C O J
    FTM-PTB


    Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    492

    Default single axle

    I'm not sure that one can still get a 100' aerial on a single axle anymore. To the best of my knowledge Bostons new RMAs will be double axles. I certainly haven't seen a recent Pierce, E-one, or Seagrave in this configuration. Are there other manufacturers that will or will these three do it as well?

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber
    npfd801's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Somewhere in Illinois
    Posts
    2,221

    Default

    I'm pretty confident that I can agree with Ski - the only real choice is the Metz as mentioned previously, as least on a single axle and over 100 foot.

    I would have thought E-One would have tried to keep that niche and advertise it if they could still do a single rear axle 100 footer, and you can be sure if Pierce could do their 100 foot aluminum aerial on a single rear, they'd advertise it.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    kennett square, PA
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Not sure about others but we carry up to 300 gallons of water, standard minimum of 98' of ground ladders, 500' of LDH and two pre-connected lines.

    As far as compartment space we have more than any other 34' long aerial.
    METZ AERIALS: "SO EASY A CAVEMAN CAN USE THEM"

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skipatrol8 View Post
    I'm not sure that one can still get a 100' aerial on a single axle anymore. To the best of my knowledge Bostons new RMAs will be double axles. I certainly haven't seen a recent Pierce, E-one, or Seagrave in this configuration. Are there other manufacturers that will or will these three do it as well?
    Seagrave still does. Rye NY has one being delivered this week. http://emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=18407&st=0

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber
    npfd801's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Somewhere in Illinois
    Posts
    2,221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RareRamAir View Post
    Seagrave still does. Rye NY has one being delivered this week. http://emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=18407&st=0
    I'm seeing this now. I found a print for a similar unit, which lists the aerial as a 250# tip load, medium duty aerial. Is Rye's the same thing?

    http://www.seagrave.com/MySeagrave/C...odel%20(1).pdf

    EDIT:::

    Nevermind.... see print for Rye's unit.

    http://www.ryefire.com/content/appar...PE_Drawing.pdf

    250# tip load as well...
    Last edited by npfd801; 08-31-2007 at 03:40 AM.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Do we want to start a pool as to how long before Rye smacks the ladder on something while driving. How long is that overhang in the front?

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    jlcooke3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Aiken, SC
    Posts
    438

    Default

    I'd say never, they all ready run a similar Seagrave.

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tower47 View Post
    How long is that overhang in the front?
    From the first drawing posted by npfd801.

    477" tip to tail board, and 443" bumper to tail board. Let's see......
    34" if my math is right.

    I'm out of college 16 yrs now, somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RTB

    Stay low, keep pushing in, and stay safe.

  16. #16
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    56

    Default

    redbaron,

    300 gallons is the maximum on the metz? My dept. is looking to purchase an aerial with a 100 foot stick, 1000 gal.(too much in my opinion) 1000 ft. of 5 in., and some ground ladders. A few officers at my dept. had talked to a dealer for metz and he said it was all completely doable.

  17. #17
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    242

    Default

    I'm willing to be wrong, but I'm not aware of any manufacturer that does a 100 ft. aerial with 1000 gallons of water.
    If it could be engineered, I would think that there would be absolutely no compartment space.

    If anyone is aware of an aerial like that, post away!

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    Res343cue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Your 1st due.
    Posts
    1,651

    Default

    Are the big "Fallon Nevada" rigs 75' or 100' ?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

    I A C O J
    FTM-PTB


    Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

  19. #19
    MembersZone Subscriber
    npfd801's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Somewhere in Illinois
    Posts
    2,221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteySt1 View Post
    redbaron,

    300 gallons is the maximum on the metz? My dept. is looking to purchase an aerial with a 100 foot stick, 1000 gal.(too much in my opinion) 1000 ft. of 5 in., and some ground ladders. A few officers at my dept. had talked to a dealer for metz and he said it was all completely doable.
    I think packaging would be the biggest concern. Weights (to my untrained transferred out of mechanical engineering mind) could work with 1,000 gallons on a Metz with a tandem rear axle. I don't think one has ever been done...

    I know for certain you can not exceed 300 gallons of water with a pump and Metz aerial and be on a single rear axle.

    The dealership I work for has sold an 85 foot tower ladder with 2000 gpm pump, 750 gallons of water, etc. I'm sure I've seen other builders do similar configurations (Alexis comes to mind). Assuming the weights of that ladder compared to the Metz, I don't know that it would be impossible to do 1,000 gallons.

    Tony can chime in, he's much more knowledgable on the Metz than I ever will be.
    Last edited by npfd801; 08-31-2007 at 05:52 PM.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    greenbrier, ar
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Fallon's are only 62 feet according to there website.

  21. #21
    MembersZone Subscriber
    osh599's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Mi
    Posts
    117

    Default

    I believe that the Indianapolis International Airport Fire Dept has a Smeal 100' stick with a 1,000 gallon tank to meet FAA requirements. Tandem axle of course and lime green.

    I'll have to find my info on their dept but I'm pretty sure that is what the fellas down there told me a few years back when I stayed with them for a week during FDIC.
    Jim Shultz
    Oshtemo Fire Dept
    Fleet Maintenance Specialist

  22. #22
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by osh599 View Post
    I believe that the Indianapolis International Airport Fire Dept has a Smeal 100' stick with a 1,000 gallon tank to meet FAA requirements. Tandem axle of course and lime green.

    I'll have to find my info on their dept but I'm pretty sure that is what the fellas down there told me a few years back when I stayed with them for a week during FDIC.
    It's a 75' stick with 1000 gallon tank and 1250gpm pump. Its name is Big Jim.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  23. #23
    Forum Member
    Dave1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Gator Country
    Posts
    4,157

    Default

    Here is my regular response anytime I see this topic...IMHO, a 75 telesquirt makes no sense whatsoever. If your going with that length, go ahead and buy a ladder which is MUCH more flexible.

    Second, if you go with a 75 ladder, go with a dual rear axle. Take it from an FD that had a 75 single and suffered with it and its under-braked, overloaded design for 14 years. Our 2002 75 ladder has a wheel base of only 226" and an OAL of 37.5' so it is possible to get a short, manuverable dual. It also out turns the old single. We take it through a couple tight mobile home parks in our area with ease.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

    IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

    "No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

    Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

  24. #24
    Forum Member
    Chauffeur6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Metro NY
    Posts
    613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983 View Post
    Second, if you go with a 75 ladder, go with a dual rear axle. Take it from an FD that had a 75 single and suffered with it and its under-braked, overloaded design for 14 years. Our 2002 75 ladder has a wheel base of only 226" and an OAL of 37.5' so it is possible to get a short, manuverable dual. It also out turns the old single. We take it through a couple tight mobile home parks in our area with ease.
    I agree with you somewhat about going with a tandem. Our 1990 single axle 75' rearmount has a tough time stopping, but newer rigs have quite a bit more stopping power what with the better/bigger brakes they have as well as more engine braking power available these days. Of course, nothing beats a tandem for braking power, turning radius and better weight distribution. The only real drawbacks, aside from going through rear tires quicker, is the loss of compartment space. This can be a big issue if the truck is going to spec'd as a quint and kept with very short WB/OAL, as you're already losing quite a bit of compartment space to that pump panel.

  25. #25
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Woodbridge Twp, New Jersey
    Posts
    863

    Thumbs up Single Axle Under - Braked

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983 View Post
    Here is my regular response anytime I see this topic...IMHO, a 75 telesquirt makes no sense whatsoever. If your going with that length, go ahead and buy a ladder which is MUCH more flexible.

    Second, if you go with a 75 ladder, go with a dual rear axle. Take it from an FD that had a 75 single and suffered with it and its under-braked, overloaded design for 14 years. Our 2002 75 ladder has a wheel base of only 226" and an OAL of 37.5' so it is possible to get a short, manuverable dual. It also out turns the old single. We take it through a couple tight mobile home parks in our area with ease.
    A 75' Alum ladder & body will be ok with a single rear axle because of the lighter vehicle weight and the newer large disc brakes !....I would go with " Duals " on a 75' steel quint .

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. NEW PIERCE TO CHILE - Please Comments.
    By SCLCBS20 in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-04-2006, 01:14 AM
  2. Quint Question
    By MJ801FL in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-04-2004, 08:50 PM
  3. Quints
    By imtxff44 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 01:16 AM
  4. Buying new Quint. Ladder or Basket ???
    By billybob911 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-11-2003, 12:53 PM
  5. A Quint and what you really get???
    By 640SATFD in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-04-1999, 06:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register