Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

Default Computer help......

Hello everyone. I am kind of computer illiterate when it comes to the “inner” workings of computers. Anyways, I need to get a new computer because the one I have now is getting old, plus its getting to the point where I cannot almost buy software because either my RAM or graphics card is too low. I know I need at least 512 MB of RAM (btw, is the graphics card and RAM the same thing?). What I am looking for is a HIGH performance computer that can run any game out there (yes I do enjoy playing computer games; it’s a release for me after a rough day). So does anyone have any recommendations on who I should buy from or what things I need to look for?

laptop or desktop?

how much do you want to spend? can be anywhere from $500 to $3000

any particular brand? dell, hp, acer, IBM, etc

what type of games? Halo/aircraft simulators, or cards games and tetris?

business use as well? surfing the web?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

general recommendations for a laptop: 1-2GB memory. seperate video card. wireless (a/b/g), wired internet connections, bluetooth, 4 + USB ports, 1 firewire, Core 2 duo processor comfortable to use.

for desktop: 1-2 GB of memory (RAM), wired internet connection, 2+ USB ports, core 2 duo processor.

remember a desktop is generally much easier to upgrade than a laptop, and desktops are typically cheaper as well.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

At first I was going to buy a laptop, but now I am leaning more towards a new desktop.

What I need is something with a lot of graphics and speed to run high-def games like Halo, FEAR, Americas Army and so forth. I am playing Americas Army but it runs really sluggish.

Sent you a private message...
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Work backwards.

As a rule of thumb, serious gaming requires more power than most typical office functions (word processing, addressing your Christmas cards, browsing FH.com, playing Solitaire, etc.) If you buy something with enough horsepower to run your game, it'll do pretty much anything else you need it to do.

What games do you want to play? Look on the boxes: they'll list bare minimum and recommended minimums for processor speed, RAM, and video RAM.

* Get at least the "minimums" and lean towards the "recommends" if you can.

* Laptops are rarely as good as desktops for gaming. They tend to be limited in graphics and aren't designed to run for extended periods of time. you'll pay more and get less.

* Avoid PCs that share video RAM with RAM (no, they aren't the same).

* Avoid PCs that have "built-in" / integrated graphics. Get something with a graphics card you can unplug and upgrade when it becomes obsolete for the latest and greatest version of your favorite game.

* Don't skrimp on the video cards but you don't need to spend a fortune on some liquid cooled uber-card unless you plan to makie gaming your life.

* Your connection to the internet will probably be your weakest link network wise. You don't need a gigabit network card to connect to a just barely megabit internet provider.

* Yes, prices will always be lower if you wait until next month. that will also apply next month and the month after ad infinitum. While you're waiting for the prices to go down, you're missing out on Warcraft.

* Avoid buying "extended warranties." If it survives 1 year, it'll probably make 3. (PCs tend to suffer from "infant mortality" -- they die young or not at all.)

* PCs hate dust and like air-conditioning.

* All PCs are essentially "obsolete" after 3 years tops. But they'll continue to do just about everything but play the latest bleeding edge games for anywhere from 5 to 10.

* Shop around a lot. Prices for similar system can vary wildly.

Good luck!
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Thread Information