Forum Member

Default Lemon of a aerial truck article

Interesting article on a problematic aerial truck.

http://www.mlive.com/news/muchronicl...530.xml&coll=8

Forum Member

Seen this before. Looks like another kool-aid drinking chief to me.

Forum Member

Default Been there done that

My department has experienced a similar dilemma. A former administration purchased a 1988 Snorkel on a Duplex chassis. The body was built by Grumman.

While the apparatus is scheduled for replacement, we still deal with the headache of Duplex and Snorkel being defunct companies, and Snorkel being kept alive on life-support by ALF, who now owns the Snorkel label.

Even while the truck was new and under warranty, there was finger-pointing among the three companies, neither who wanted to accept responsibility for repairs.

Much controversy exists in the fire service over the phrases "single source" and "sole source" manufacturing, I really believe the intent is not to write out some of the smaller companies, but to eliminate responsibility headaches.

Every department should provide their own definition of terminology in their specs, and I don't mean cut and paste a paragraph from a manufacturer-provided document.

MembersZone Subscriber

These stories are exactly why we went with a "sole source" spec. Not that we didn't think some of the smaller companies could build a good truck, but for fear of these finger pointing issues.

Has anyone had any experience with the "new" "Sole Responsibility Warranty"? We thought this might be the answer on our new Rescue Pumper. We want one number to call for warranty claims for 20 years. One neck to choke, one place to lay the blame, otherwise we'll select a sole source builder. Skip the engine, tranny, pump, generator B.S. been there, not a concern.

Forum Member

Default Heres Solo source for ya!

Last artical on the page about seatbelts. Please tell me if isn't the manufactures problem why did they fix after this was sent to Fire Chief Mag? If was just to stop the negitive pr then fix the problem when it is reported not after it is made public.

http://firechief.com/health-safety/a...ng_letters_11/

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Tower47 View Post
    Last artical on the page about seatbelts. Please tell me if isn't the manufactures problem why did they fix after this was sent to Fire Chief Mag? If was just to stop the negitive pr then fix the problem when it is reported not after it is made public.

http://firechief.com/health-safety/a...ng_letters_11/
    If you're going to go "Sole-source" don't use a commercial chassis! Then you truly are only using the spec to get rid of the little guys. As the article says, it was a Freightliner/E-one.

Forum Member

Default Sole source doesn't always work

What if only one company built your truck and they decide to quit fixing your problems? In this case the city is threatening to sue. I think finding a reliable brand and dealer will go farther than relying on a warranty.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/102/story/135934.html

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by thouse2 View Post
    What if only one company built your truck and they decide to quit fixing your problems? In this case the city is threatening to sue. I think finding a reliable brand and dealer will go farther than relying on a warranty.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/102/story/135934.html
    This one worries me! So far we're quite pleased with our ALF, trouble-free? No, but all have been taken care of in a timely fashion. But as we ready ourselves for a rescue-pumper one can't help but be slightly concerned.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    This one worries me! So far we're quite pleased with our ALF, trouble-free? No, but all have been taken care of in a timely fashion. But as we ready ourselves for a rescue-pumper one can't help but be slightly concerned.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. EVERY fire apparatus manufacturer will produce a bad truck every now and then. What matters is that they stand behind their product and correct the problems. We had major problems with a vehicle we purchased. After a year or two of corrections, the manufacturer took care of us and built a new rig........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    If you're going to go "Sole-source" don't use a commercial chassis! Then you truly are only using the spec to get rid of the little guys. As the article says, it was a Freightliner/E-one.
    Why? Why shouldn't I be able to make 1 call and get my "FIRE TRUCK" issue resolved. My department runs a mix of commerical and custom chassis and anytime we have had a commercial chassis issue we call the dealer that sold us the truck. They get it taken care. Granted these are manufacturers that don't claim "SOLO" source mybe thats why there better at customer relations with these chassis.

We have more warrenty issues on our "SOLO-SOURCE" from a major manufacturer than we have ever had on our commercials from little known companies. Kinda funny isn't?

Forum Member

Tower 47,

While I agree that a single source supplier may be your best option, there are repair issues on your commercial chassis that your fire apparatus dealer may not be authorized, trained or equipped to repair. In those cases, the department may be better served by dealing direct with the chassis dealer (i.e. Freightliner, International, etc.). Having your fire apparatus dealer work with the chassis dealer is having a third party involved that will slow down communications and repairs of your rigs. When the commericial cabs require a special tool or computer software to diagnose and repair a problem, the apparatus dealer is at a disadvantage and could actually make the problem worse.

Forum Member

My dad sell apparatus and is starting to have some real success. Part of his secret? He helped set up a service center for what he sells. Service can make a deal, and lack of can break it.

Thread Information