Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Polishing your boots?

Ok... So I have been sitting her for about 10 minutes working on polishing my boots and I am having issues getting the scuffed part of my toe nice and shinny. I am using black kiwi polish, an old rag to apply the polish, and I have a shining brush. Now everything is shinny but that scuffed part. it is just black like the rest of the boot, just not shinny. Anyone have any tips and tricks to possibly getting that nice and shinny?

EDIT: Sorry if my post is a little incoherent... I am in the middle (or at least I hope) of being sick so I am a little out of it.
    Last edited by t0asty; 08-30-2007 at 04:01 PM.
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbutter y t0ast" - DFurtman

Forum Member

is kiwi fire resistant? and are you polishing leather boots?

Quote Originally Posted by t0asty View Post
    Ok... So I have been sitting her for about 10 minutes working on polishing my boots and I am having issues getting the scuffed part of my toe nice and shinny. I am using black kiwi polish, an old rag to apply the polish, and I have a shining brush. Now everything is shinny but that scuffed part. it is just black like the rest of the boot, just not shinny. Anyone have any tips and tricks to possibly getting that nice and shinny?

EDIT: Sorry if my post is a little incoherent... I am in the middle (or at least I hope) of being sick so I am a little out of it.
    What kind of boots are they? If they are a military style work boot, try and find an applicator brush or just use a toothbrush(probably not your own ) and keep puttin the polish to it and brushing it out. I've had pretty wicked scuffs in my combat boots and just brush shining has always gotten it out.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by charlie82 View Post
    -If he's reffering to his station boots, it wouldn't neccisarily need to be fireproof.

-I've only polished my boots once to go to a wake for one of the dept. members. I used a polish stick of Kiwi, I just got it to look presentable.

Yah sorry they are my station boots and I am trying to get them presentable to the shift that I will be riding along with in a few weeks. A note about the boots... they are made by magnum and are the stealth series (if that makes any difference) But Ill try the tooth brush... thanks...

It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by t0asty View Post
    Yah sorry they are my station boots and I am trying to get them presentable to the shift that I will be riding along with in a few weeks. A note about the boots... they are made by magnum and are the stealth series (if that makes any difference) But Ill try the tooth brush... thanks...
    Man, if they are are shiny right now I wouldn't worry to much about it. They don't have to be absolutely perfect. A little scuff isn't going to be a huge issue.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

If you are using the Kiwi paste wax:

1. Go outside.

2. Using a lighter, heat up the scuff marks

3. Apply the paste wax generously

4. Heat up the (applied) paste wax till it melts

5. Let it cool for a minute or two, then buff it out using an old towel, cloth diaper, and then the horsehair buffing brush.

Repeat as many times as necessary. If you do it right, should only be once or twice.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

were your boots polished prior to the scuff getting in them. Getting a scuff out, if you've never polished your boots before is darn near impossible. When you get boots, you should always throw a few coats of wax on them. It helps when you scuff them, because then the scuff is mostly in the wax, and not the boot leather itself.

Forum Member

haha kinda funny but i would keep polishing them and polish them every day and eventually itlll shine up and you can use a cleaner cloth and put the boot on and cover the entire toe of the boot with the clothe and slid it back and forth to buff it that usually works for me

to make your boots shiny:just spit on them(saliva is acid on leather shoes and makes it shine)and then take an old but clean rag and polish for a little moment.

an old "tip" we used when i was a kid(ok i'm not so young anymore,lol) and i cleaned the boots of my dad at the station.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Forum Member

Wink old guy got tired of polish fumes

Combine all the above methods and try a few of your own until your boots shine like the sun,. . .then go out and buy Clarino boots. They wipe clean with a damp rag.

Thanks for the help guys... I finally got it to the point where it was happier then before with a combination of the just apply and shine (repeat a few times) and then the lighter (carefully) to the polish. One of the guys at my station told me to take a nylon and use that to shine them as well. All in all it worked out nicely. But again... Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber Paddiegrunt's Avatar

Black High Temp engine spray paint works great
    Slop sink, Flags and pump 150
    Getting there is half the fun

4. Heat up the (applied) paste wax till it melts
    Do NOT do this to Kiwi nugget.

A bloke on my recruit course lost an eye when the kiwi nugget ignited and spat a burning piece into his eye.

Severe burns over 1/2 his face.

In large amounts the stuff will ignite.

In the amounts used for polishing boots I have never had any problems wearing our level 1 working boots doing bush fires.

However please note, I am adverse to standing very long in direct flames as they tend to ruin the boots.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Lincoln stain wax does the best job of anything I've used. Just be careful what it gets on. They call it "stain" wax for a reason.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by charlie82 View Post
    Nope, he's polishing rubber boots.... Here's your sign.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by frenchfireball View Post
    to make your boots shiny:just spit on them(saliva is acid on leather shoes and makes it shine)and then take an old but clean rag and polish for a little moment.

an old "tip" we used when i was a kid(ok i'm not so young anymore,lol) and i cleaned the boots of my dad at the station.
    I guess that is why the military calls it spit shined. And it works, but it takes a long time and a lot of work. I took a brand new pair and shined them up just for inspections and to go in front of the promotion board.

Default spit work

Ill agree with the spit and in the military that what i used to do "Spit Shine Them"

i would always recive compliment on my boot and here is how i would do it.

1. Spit in the Can.

2. apply generous ammount of wax ... not to much just enough for a layer

3. let it sit for about five minutes

4. while the first one sit start on the second same process

5. it should have sat long enough to go back to the fist one, then just brush the polish get out a rag and apply the shine, if it still dull do it again, as for the scuff marks just work them they will come out just keep applying in the previous order like to that spot ... key let the wax dry ... let it dry

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Don't be afraid to ignite the can of wax!

1. use kiwi wax (Kiwi parade shine works best)
    2. light the whole can on fire until the top layer of the wax fuly melts.
    3. blow it out (make sure the can is sitting on newspaper or something it may splatter a little)
    4. immeidiately use applicator brush and apply to boot in a circular motion. you should have just enough time to do both boots before the wax fully drys(herdens) in the can. If it dry to quickly just set it on fire again briefly to melt it.
    5. use polishing brush to brush excess wax off the boot, the leather will start to have a dull shine
    6. take a pare of panty hose (no joke it's works like magic) I wrap the crouch part (thickest) around my hand and start buffing.
    7. spit on the boot a little as you go, not too much though or you'll mess up the shine.
    8. after about 15 -20 minutes of buffing you should have a high gloss (see your reflection) on the boot.

Try it you'll be surprised how good this method works and how quick you can shine your boots using it.

Quote Originally Posted by lepale View Post
    2. light the whole can on fire until the top layer of the wax fuly melts.
    3. blow it out (make sure the can is sitting on newspaper or something it may splatter a little)

So, you want him to put newspaper (flammable) under the burning splattering wax (also flammable)? That sounds suspect.

Thread Information