Forum Member

Default Lieutenant's interview

Top 3 candidates are being interviewed for a lieutenant's position. The panel will consist of the Fire Chief, Deputy Chief, Battalion Chief of Training, and a Battalion Chief from Operations.

Any words of wisdom?

Let's talk fire trucks!

Having just been promoted to lieutenant at work about 6 months ago, but having served on an interview panel with my previous public safety employer, I might be able to give a few pointers:
    • Be confident, not cocky!
    • Pause before you answer your questions. It will give you time to think about your answer, and will allow you to "control" that portion of the interview.
    • Look professional! If you don't looked squared away for that 1 hour of your life, how can the panel expect you to be squared away for the rest of your career?
    • Never assume that anyone on the panel knows your accomplishments, even if the Training BC is your golf buddy on the weekends. Sell yourself!
    • It sounds a lot better to say, "As I lieutenant in the Acme FD, I will...." rather than saying, "If I was was a lieutenant, I would..."
    • Greet the panel by name, shake thier hands, establish a rapport.
    • Answer the questions thoroughly, but don't ramble and make it appear you're searching for an answer
    • Print a one-page resume' on high-quality paper (even parchment paper?) to distribute. Bring enough for each member of the panel. Keep them in a manila folder until you're ready to distribute.
    • Stand by your answers. The panel may question your answer to "shake" you, or see if you'll change under pressure. Beware of this tactic, and be prepared to further justify your original answer, if necessary.

A final thought is to do your research. Google "interview tips," look for books at your local bookstore, and even search for posts by FH.com's forums own CaptBob, an expert on getting hired & promoted.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Forum Member

Default Promotional Preparation

The following are possible questions you might encounter in your promotional process:

What have you done to prepare for or what do you think qualifies you for the position?

Everything you will do in the promotional process has to do with presentation skills.

What is your five your plan?

What are three of your strengths? What is one of your weaknesses?

What projects can you attach your name to?

How do you resolve conflict?

How do you reduce stress?

How would you handle a disgruntled employee?

What is the job of an officer?

Be prepared for scenarios related to ethical issues; drinking, drugs, stealing, etc.

How would you handle a sexual or racial harassment situation?

Why would we choose you over the other candidates?

Can you deliver a 5-10 oral resume?

Are you up on those issues that are affecting your agency?

Practice handwriting reports.

Work on your personal signature stories than can relate to possible questions.

What does customer service mean to you?

What does cultural diversity mean to you?

Can you take a topic on short notice, develop and deliver a 10-minute speech?

How do you administer discipline?

Do you have a current one-page resume? Make sure to include any acting time.

Practice, practice, practice your answers with a recorder! The recorder goes everywhere your car keys go.

And remember this:

I can't tell you how many times I've talked to candidates from departments they've waited for years trying for that golden opportunity to get promoted Then they've blown it. Because they went in and saw Paul was on the board. He knows Paul, they bowl. Randy over there, why he's married to Randy's cousin. My gosh, he knows everything about me. They come out, and somebody else gets their badge! It devastates them. They failed because they didn't present the package. The other candidates did. It's show time, ta dah. You have to bring out the top hat, the cane, step it out, and give the board the complete show. It's you! It's the bright lights. It's Broadway! You gotta make it happen. You gotta make the magic.

When I said this at a recent firefighters convention, Dan shared the following:

...I went through exactly through what he's talking about, at a promotion in my department for this position of lieutenant. I knew all the people on the board including a division chief. I was thinking, "Geez, I've known these guys for 16 years. And, I don't have to say anything, they know me." During my critique afterwards, the division chief said, "You know, Dan, you've got so much going for you, but you didn't blow your own horn." If you would have blown your own horn, you would have said all the things that you got going for you, you'd have had it. Since you didn't say a word, and I can't give you the badge." If you don't say it, you don't get credit for it, period.

The defense rests.

Nothing counts ‘til you have the badge. Nothing!
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Hi, guys. I got the job! Thanks for the advice! It helped.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Congrats!!! Best of luck as you don your gold collar brass...

Forum Member

You were a quick study. Congrats on your success!

Thread Information