Forum Member

The best method I have heard to reduce the backdraft potential of a drop ceiling was to use a straight stream and push the tiles with that. The water entering the superheated void space will flash to steam and prevent the flashover/backdraft from occuring. If I remember correctly this came from one of the Brannigan articles here on FH.com. Perhaps the webteam can repost it for us.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    People also get too reliant on the camera in checking for hot spots. Now, rather than opening up a ceiling or wall, guys just look at it with the camera to check for heat. We need to open up and look.
    I'm sure that my job isn't the only one seeing this.
    Ummm, you do know thats one of the reasons to use a TIC, right? The ability it gives us to lesson damage. I thought property conservation was still part of the job. Isnt it?
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983 View Post
    Ummm, you do know thats one of the reasons to use a TIC, right? The ability it gives us to lesson damage. I thought property conservation was still part of the job. Isnt it?
    Context Dave, context.

I was talking about buildings that had fires in them. I've seen guys point the camera around in rooms that are direct exposures to fire, and that was supposedly an alternative to opening the walls up.

Keep in mind that the majority of fires we deal with are in balloon frame structures, that are three stories tall, and all have plaster and lathe interiors. With these types of buildings you have to be very thorough with overhaul, otherwise you're back 3 hours later with the original fire building and all the exposures going; and that just plain looks bad.

The camera is great if the fire hasn't extended beyond the walls yet, or if you're looking for hot wires or a blown ballast.

So yes, property conservation is still a part of the job, but so is making sure that all hot spots are out as well. The camera can't replace checking for extension visually by opening up, when you need to.

Banned

Did some research on this and found that a steel truss will begin to fail at around 1000 F. Given that the trusses are up in insulated areas that temperature is reached often within five minutes of the fire starting. The temperatures in these areas often exceed 1500F.

Thread Information