MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rescue Pumper (Squad) Equipment?

what are the duties of these units and how do the various dept's equip them? I know in New York City they can do Engine, Ladder and light Rescue, I wanna see how many variations there are amongst different Dept's esp in New Jersey

Back In Black

Our squad carries truck tools and has an onboard hurst compressor with two plumbed 100' hurst reels. Spreaders, cutters, and 2 rams. Etc.

Full set of 18 volt cordless handtools, saws, drills, demolition hammer. 120v sawzall.

Cut-off saw, chainsaw.

AED, Backboard, EMS supplies (some), multimeter.

It also has a light tower.

And the "usual" engine stuff.

Responds as an engine company unless assigned otherwise.

First due for MVA's and "other" rescues.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our Squad carries:
    light tower, cutters, spreaders, ram, various sizes of air bags, speedy dry in a hopper, class A and B foam, air cart, full compliment of rope rescue equipment, cutting torch, hazmat booms and pads, scuba support equipment, AED, backboard, stokes basket.
    ours is basicly a 6 man cab heavy rescue with a pump and hose.

Forum Member

I didn't know Hurst made compressors

MembersZone Subscriber

Ours starts off w/2250gpm pump, 750 Water, 24', 14', 10' ladders. 6' hooks, 8' pike poles, 1800' LDH, light tower, Pierce Quantum

Rescue wise- Holmatro cutters, spreader, combi, 2 rams, and manual combi tool.
    Complete set of Paratech rescue struts, 4 hi-lift jacks, a boatload of cribbing.
    8 sets of Water rescue Eqpt-pfd, helmet, throwbag, knife,whistle, gloves.
    4 full-body rescue harness, a lot of life safety rope, biners, 8's, etc...
    18V dewalt sawzalls, and drills, cutters, etx...
    K-12 saw, chainsaw, EMS bag, AED.

Other misc stuff.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our Squad is a 2001 Pierce with a 1750 GPM pump and 1,000 gal. tank. The driver side is set up like this: appliances, adapters, spare SCBA bottles, driver's pack, extinguishers, ems jump bags, search rope bag, SCOTT RIT bag, SCOTT Haz-mat air monitor, saw-zalls, hand tools, isothermic torch, portable lights, extension cord reels.
    The captain's side is set up like this: Phoenix cutter, 2 combi-tools, 3 rams and a portable pump, cribbing, air bags, struts, K-12, Vent saw, tool box.
    The coffin compartments up top: Swiftwater gear, stokes, foam, tri-pod, back boards, scoop shovels/brooms.

That is the majority of the equipment. Visit newhopevfd.com to see more.

Forum Member

When I have a chance I'll come back and post the equip on our rescue engine.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by MEAN15 View Post
    I didn't know Hurst made compressors
    They call it a power unit. I call it a compressor.

Wow, anything else confuse you in my post? If so, please PM me. I'd be glad to explain it in detail.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    They call it a power unit. I call it a compressor.

Wow, anything else confuse you in my post? If so, please PM me. I'd be glad to explain it in detail.

You crack me up chief!
    JOHN 15:13

ISAIAH 43:2

1st Asst. Chief Ray Johns

FF/NREMT-B

Marion Volunteer Fire Department

Forum Member

Our rescue engine has all the normal engine stuff. Plus cribbing and extrication tool. Rescue struts. Stokes basket. Confined Space Rescue Equipment (tripod, ropes, rigging, hardware, etc...) 4 Gas monitor. It is ran like an engine but also has its own first in for extrication territory. Plus it responds on technical rescue situations along with the Squad.

Forum Member

Lighten up there chiefy. I'm not trying to be an ***. Just a little good-natured levity at your expense. Sorry if you took offense.

Forum Member

My old job has been using the engine-squad concept quite sucessfully since 1992. They just took delivery of their second generation rig.

Here's some of the highlights:

short wheel base KME rescue-pumper body on a Spartan Diamond w/ seating for six (they staff five), this rig can supplement the truck co. or stand alone

1500 GPM/750 gallons

Standard engine equipment plus

2 fans
    1 Partner K950
    1 Partner K750
    1 Stihl 044
    3/4 of the FireHooks Unlimited catalog:
    Hydra Ram
    2 halligans
    1 Chicago bar
    6' roof hook
    8' NY pike pole
    10' NY pike pole
    10' LA rake
    K tool
    A tool
    8# flat axe
    8# pike head axe
    10# sledge hammer
    Con-Space search mic
    Argus 2 TIC
    Hurst system
    pnuematic rescue tools
    recipro. saw
    poly crib
    900' rescue rope w/ associated equip.
    stokes basket
    EMS equip.
    MSA Orion 4 gas monitor
    Haz-Mat supplies

Not a complete list but most of the major "squad" items on the rig.
    Last edited by 37truck; 09-01-2007 at 10:27 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDon View Post
    Our Squad carries:
    light tower, cutters, spreaders, ram, various sizes of air bags, speedy dry in a hopper, class A and B foam, air cart, full compliment of rope rescue equipment, cutting torch, hazmat booms and pads, scuba support equipment, AED, backboard, stokes basket.
    ours is basicly a 6 man cab heavy rescue with a pump and hose.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Our squad carries truck tools and has an onboard hurst compressor with two plumbed 100' hurst reels. Spreaders, cutters, and 2 rams. Etc.
    Full set of 18 volt cordless handtools, saws, drills, demolition hammer. 120v sawzall.
    Cut-off saw, chainsaw.
    AED, Backboard, EMS supplies (some), multimeter.
    It also has a light tower.
    And the "usual" engine stuff.
    Responds as an engine company unless assigned otherwise.
    First due for MVA's and "other" rescues.
    What about cribbing? Don't see it mentioned...

Just out of curiosity, how much cribbing is everyone carrying on a rescue pumper?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Our rescue engine has all the normal engine stuff. Plus cribbing and extrication tool. Rescue struts. Stokes basket. Confined Space Rescue Equipment (tripod, ropes, rigging, hardware, etc...) 4 Gas monitor. It is ran like an engine but also has its own first in for extrication territory. Plus it responds on technical rescue situations along with the Squad.

Guess you didn't read all the posts. We have cribbing and rescue struts. How much cribbing? enough

On all 10-50 PI calls we have 2 extrication companies go. So you have 2 tools and 2 sets of cribbing if needed.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue View Post

Just out of curiosity, how much cribbing is everyone carrying on a rescue pumper?
    We carry the step chocks and some cribbing. It's not a lot, maybe 2 dozen interlocking synthetic material cribbing pieces.

It's tough trying to fit it all and keep the engine..well an engine.

Anything beyond a "simple" vehicle extrication and we need the rescue.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Oh Boy.....................

Where the heck do you start?....... We began operations in the "modern" age of extracation in the mid 1970's by purchasing a Hurst Tool and carrying it on our 1970 Sutphen Tower. A growing need for Rescue services in our area had us start thinking out of the box, and we moved the Tool to our 1969 Ward Engine in 1980. Over a couple of years, we added Air Bags, Cribbing, Step Chocks, Air Chisel, Sawzalls, along with a lot of Hand Tools, and some Porto Power sets. This worked for most Auto Extracation and Firefighting jobs, but by 1989 we were planning our first Heavy Rescue. This was built by Marion on a Spartan Cab, and placed in service on July 2nd, 1992. In 1995 we were running around 1,500 Rescue calls per year, and we bought our present Rescue Engine. RE18 is a 1995 Spartan/Quality 1,250/500 Engine that carries Everything that is required by State and County standards to operate as a Heavy Rescue. Electricity is from a Harrison 30K hydraulic Generator, which replaced the 30K AMPS System which died after 10 years. We are awaiting delivery of our new 2007 Pierce Squad, which will be similar to FDNY's Rescue 1 and Burtonsville, Md.'s Squad 15. Now for the List:

MINIMUM Tools and Equipment: (And I'll forget some items, and skip some minor small stuff)

30K Generator, 6 500w, 6 1,000w Lights. 6 Wire Reels. 2 16" Electric Fans. 2 18" Gas Fans. 2 Hurst Electric Simo Pumps, 1 Gas Hurst Simo Pump. 2 Combo tools, 1 Transformer Tool, 3 Cutters, 2 sets of Rams. 10 Air Bags, 4 Hydraulic Jacks, 2 HiLift Jacks, 1 3 ton Floor Jack, 2 12 ton Rail Jacks. 10K Lb winches, Front and Rear. 8 Assorted Chains, 20 ft. 4 Comealongs, 2 and 3 ton. Cable Slings, Snatch Blocks, Shackles, Hooks, Swivels. 2,200 ft Lifeline, (assorted lengths) 3 doz Carabiners, 6 Body harnesses, Ascenders, Pulleys, Misc Rope stuff. 4 Gumby Suits, 6 Type IV Lifejackets, Line Gun, 8 4500 SCBA, Lots of Hand Tools. 4 Sawzalls, 2 K12 Saws, 2 Chain Saws, Vent Saw, Skilsaw. 8 Stepchocks, Approx 60 pieces of 2x4,4x4, 6x6 Cribbing and Wedges 12 1/2 or 3/4 Plywood pads 24"x24" 2 Stokes Baskets. 6 Spine Boards, Splints, 2 Trauma Bags, Oxygen, AED. TIC. several Multi Gas Meters.

We tend to agree with two thoughts in Rescue..... 1. You can never have too much Cribbing, and you can never have too much Electricity.
    Last edited by hwoods; 09-02-2007 at 11:34 AM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

There is only one rescue engine around here that I can think of, and its more of a rescue with pump/hose. There are a couple rescue quints, including ours, that carry basic extrication tools and are backed up by squads (heavy rescues).

In addition to basic engine and full ladder co equipment, our quint has a Hurst pump plumbed to a hose real, a cutter, a spreader, a cutter/spreader combo tool, 3 rams, a set of struts, glass cutter, an O-ring cutter and 4 air bags of various sizes.. All the extrication tools except the air bags are in one compartment, along with the pump and reel which is quite handy. We also have a compartment full of cribbing under the body, below the tool compartment.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue View Post

We have one compartment full of cribbing. The picture of the compartment on our website is out dated. The compartment is completely full of cribbing and the airbags have been moved. It is an assortment of 2x4, 4x4, 6x6, and wedges.

Forum Member

got any pics to add to the posts ? (I mean after all we are looking at specing one out for 2009 delivery).........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Duplicate post

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1 View Post
    got any pics to add to the posts ? (I mean after all we are looking at specing one out for 2009 delivery).........
    E-mail me if you are interested in compartment and equipment location pics of my volly FD's rescue pumper...

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1 View Post
    Go to newhopevfd.com and look under photo gallery for truck compartments. Click on Rescue 501. These are some old pictures, so some equipment has been moved around but it gives a pretty good idea.

Forum Member

Cool Tactical opinions?????

Our new says we will get more water thru a 2" plastic hose than a 2 1/2 due to less friction loss because its plastic. Also easier to drag, Storz connectors make it faster, etc. therefore, pound for pound it is a better all around choice He wants to take all the 1 3/4 off the truck and use the 2" plastic for interior lines.

Can anyone either back this up or argue against it? I have looked all over the net and cannot find the appropriate chart to argue one way or the other.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Squad1LT View Post
    Guess you didn't read all the posts. We have cribbing and rescue struts. How much cribbing? enough

On all 10-50 PI calls we have 2 extrication companies go. So you have 2 tools and 2 sets of cribbing if needed.
    Guess you didn't read the two quotes in my post.

I wasn't referencing your post. I saw that you do carry cribbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lrg500 View Post
    Go to newhopevfd.com and look under photo gallery for truck compartments. Click on Rescue 501. These are some old pictures, so some equipment has been moved around but it gives a pretty good idea.
    that thing is farckin huge !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information