Forum Member

Exclamation Small Rural Dept Looking For Building Plans For A New House

We just got some land given to us to build a new department on. Our current Fire House is falling apart, its about 50yrs old, we have to pull the trucks out for meetings and hope not to smack the mirrors or lights on the wall when backing in and 2 of our vehicles stay outside at all times. We are in the process of trying to get some ideas or plans for a new house and any ideas/plans would greatly be appericated! Thanks

If you want pictures of our current house ill be happy to send any.
    Last edited by JuniorMarti; 09-02-2007 at 05:00 PM. Reason: added info

Forum Member

Well if you could at least tell us what your looking forward to in the future we could help. Like how many apparatus? Living quarters? shower rooms? hose room? decon room? Alittle more info on what your station currently has and what its future looks like could help. I could send our station schematics if its close to what your looking for. We house 1 Engine, 1 Ladder, 1 Tender (tanker) 1 brush unit, and one medic Jeep. We has 3 drive threw bays that could spot 6 large apparatus. We have a weight room, showers , decon area, hose rooms, meeting rooms, 3 offices, storage etc. We are a 25 member department that runs a bout 300 runs a year.

Pere Marquette Fire Department
    "First in Last Out Crew"
    Engine 2911

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorMarti View Post
    If you want pictures of our current house ill be happy to send any.
    Spare me! Lol. j/k.

Our fire hall in town is constructed using a u panel or wave type metal siding. (two layers with insulation between). This type of construction is very easy to add onto in the furutre should the need arise. The hall itself is a a quonset type shape with vertical sides. (The curve of the roof does not come all the way to the ground).

Our hall is quite large. We have a classroom, kitchen, bathroom, office, and storage upstairs and a bathroom/locker room/showers, an office, a communication room/office, and a mechanics room below. This takes up just over 1/4 of the halls interior.

We have 3 large doors (two vehcicle widths each). Two on the front, one on the rear. Our hall houses 2 Engines, a Tanker, a Wildfire tac truck, Rescue/Mobile command, 2nd Rescue, OFC supply tandem trailer, ATV dual trailer, storage, and training space.

I will try to take some exterior and interior photos this evening once i get home from work.
    I will also try to get a ballpark cost of the buildings construction for your info.
    "You see things and you ask, 'Why'? I dream of things that never were and I say, 'Why not'?

"I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place."

"When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire."

Forum Member

Well thus far we talked about.. half kitchen, bathroom/shower area.. laundry room.. meeting area, misc storage. We have 15 members.. yes small lol.. We are shooting for 4 bays (drive thru).. we have 2 pumpers, 1 tanker on the way, brush truck, rescue van.. were looking at a 40x65 building as thats all the land we aquired will really allow.. if this helps you all any
    Last edited by JuniorMarti; 09-02-2007 at 05:25 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorMarti View Post
    Well thus far we talked about.. half kitchen, bathroom/shower area.. laundry room.. meeting area, misc storage. We have 15 members.. yes small lol.. We are shooting for 4 bays.. we have 2 pumpers, 1 tanker on the way, brush truck, rescue van.. were looking at a 40x65 building if that will help a little
    Our department is closer to 30 members, but our vechicles compacity is about the same. I'll post some photos here tonight.
    "You see things and you ask, 'Why'? I dream of things that never were and I say, 'Why not'?

"I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place."

"When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CdnFD24 View Post
    Our department is closer to 30 members, but our vechicles compacity is about the same. I'll post some photos here tonight.
    Ok, thanks very much.. we're really open to anything.. compile a bunch of ideas from you and the replies and maybe get something thats fits our tinyselves well lol.. Ive been on the department since I was 15, the chiefs we had basically gave up so we have new blood in there and its time to turn things around and get out of the hole the past has gotten us in..
    Last edited by JuniorMarti; 09-02-2007 at 05:35 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ours may be a little bigger than you are looking for, but it is close. Under Construction as we speak.

60'x90'

4 Bays (3x 45' deep, and 1x 60' deep)
    30 ft Training/Hose Tower
    30'x40' Training Room
    30'x50' Kitchen/Lounge and Rec Space (Gym) upstairs
    2 Offices (Chief's & Dispatch Rm)
    2 Washrooms with showers
    1.5 Storage Rooms (plus our existing 20 ft sea container for seasonal storage)

Budget = 1 Million CAD
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    Ours may be a little bigger than you are looking for, but it is close. Under Construction as we speak.
    Very nice.. if only we could go with something such as that Let alone the vehicles to go along with it lol.. .. Thanks!

Forum Member

Some pics of our firehall..
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Forum Member

Very nice, pretty much along the lines of what we are looking at.. Thanks!

Forum Member

Pic 1 is the front view. I'm facing South West.

Pic 2 is the rear view. Facing almost North.

Pic 3 is just inside the front entrance (seen in pic 1), facing South West.

Pic 4 facing South towards the mechanics room.

Pic 5 Facing South from the North West overhead door.

Forum Member

A few more of the interior...
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Forum Member

Pic 1 Facing South is main level office / change room hallway. Change room to the left, communications room is first right, Chiefs office second right.

Pic 2 Comunications room.

Pic 3 Upstairs class room area. Facing North West.

Pic 4 Main classroom area and kitchen. Facing East.

Pic 5 Closer look at kitchen. Bathroom on left office on right.

In the change room downstairs, we have two showers, lockers for almost all members and facilities.

This hall was build in 1996 and at that time approximate cost was $108,000 cdn.

If you would like to have a copy of the plans, send me a PM.

I'm not sure if I can find them, I haven't asked my Chief if they still have them there but most likely they would or the town office will.

Either way, I'm sure I can access a copy and send them your way.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!
    Neil

Thread Information