MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Charleston SC and surrounding area

Hey can anyone give me any information on the departments in the Charleston, North Charleston SC area. I am looking to go to this area upon completion of my military service but I am trying to get as much info as possible about this area and the career departments around the area. Thanks for the help.

Forum Member

Have you looked into the pay vs. the cost of living down there? I was a Charlston area firefighter for 10 years. I eventually packed it up and accepted a job with the Charlotte, NC FD. I make more after 4.5 years than I did after 10 (5 as a lieu) in that area and the retirement is awsome. You just can't get ahead down there.

If your looking for a quality dept. look into Mt. Pleasant. Some of the other dept's may start out a little higher, but Mt. P takes pretty good care of thereir people. Good gear, equipment...

If you want a lot of action go to North Charleston. Not sure about the pay scale and they have had a lot of leadsership issues, but they get a lot of fires.

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the info. RIght now I am looking at NCFD, Columbia and even considered charolotte and Rock hill.

Thread Information