MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Angry Riding In The Bed Of A Pickup

I know there is another thread in here with the same topic in mind, but work is not allowing me time to do an effective search.....

Deadly Crash Claims 3 Teens

POSTED: 1:17 pm EDT September 4, 2007

HILLSVILLE, Va. -- Three Virginia teenagers died in a deadly car crash Sunday. State police said Tuesday two teens rode in the back of the bed of the pickup truck and the third victim was not wearing a seat belt when the truck overturned, then caught fire.

Several people were injured in the accident, including the driver and another passenger.

According to state law, anyone under age 16 cannot ride in the bed of a truck, with exceptions for parades and farm operations. I personally don't think age should have anything to do with it. UNLAWFUL for all is how it should read.

Allison Rebecca Turman and Ashley Leonard of Cana, Va., were the two teens riding in the bed of the truck. They were 14 years old. Brianna Peak, 17, of Dugspur, was not wearing a seat belt when was ejected from the truck said Sgt. Michael Conroy.

Allison and Brianna were cousins who had just left a family birthday party for two young cousins after church when the accident occurred, Allison's aunt, Vera Hall, told the Roanoke Times.

State police did not release the names of those injured. All the victims were treated at a hospital and released . Television station WSLS in Roanoke identified Adrian Leonard -- Ashley's sister -- as the driver.

"It was all my fault because I should not have been driving like that," Adrian said in an interview with WSLS as family members gathered at the accident scene to put up a flower-covered cross in Ashley's memory.

"It hurts so bad to see her laying on the side of the road not alive," Adrian said.

"She was so funny ... we had such a fun time with her," she said. "She loved all of us, and she loved guys especially, and we were all so close. We were like a big family."

Hall described Allison and Brianna as loving, happy teenagers.

Allison had recently started as a ninth-grader at Floyd County High School, where she was hoping to play on the basketball team. She excelled at sports and was a straight-A student who stood out with her red, curly hair, Hall told the Roanoke newspaper.

"She was just so full of life," Hall said. "She just had a happy, feisty spirit. She was beautiful."

Brianna was a senior at Carroll County High School in Hillsville.

"She always hugged everybody and told them how much she loved them," Hall said.

"They both are going to be so missed," she said.

All the truck's occupants were from Virginia and were 14 to 17 years old.

Conroy said the 15-year-old driver was unlicensed. Police have not decided whether to file charges, he said.

The accident occurred on Virginia 690 in Carroll County, about two miles north of the North Carolina border. The southbound truck was coming out of a curve when the driver veered off the right side of the road, overcorrected and then ran off the road to the left. The truck hit an embankment and flipped before catching fire, Conroy said.

Police said speed appeared to be a factor in the crash.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Hmmm....birthday party at a church, small town (I am assuming??), 15 year old driver?????????????? the list is endless. Which leads me to the biggest question?

WHERE THE H*LL WERE THE ADULTS/PARENTS?

Forum Member

Default Mvc???

*Vomits*

Ok, I will ask the same question everytime some adolescent is killed in a wreck. WHERE WERE THE PARENTS?

Forum Member

While I am sorry that people lost their lives, this is always an issue with me. Is there any state in the U.S. where riding in the bed under 16 IS legal? Thought this was a DUHHHH item. While I do think there are times when a person may do it (in PA it's over 18 yo AND at no more than 35 mph), how do you justify it once the "unthinkable" happens? Of course if a crash is not "unthinkable" due to high speed, high alcohol content, or "other" circumstances, it's negligence. Hellooooo lawyers. Of course the vehicle maker will probably get sued too. They failed to prevent the criminally stupid from harming themselves, AGAIN.

Forum Member

Riding in the back of a truck should be illegal, period. I saw one go down the other night with 3 people in back, all leaning up against the tailgate. I thought, God what if that thing accidentally opens? Massive head trauma right there. Not to mention the chance that a car behind them might run them over.

Forum Member

Same thing here. Anyone under 16 is required to have a seatbelt on and all those in the front seats must have seatbelts on. Riding in the back of a truck is free game as long as you are over 16. I'm not aware of a speed limitation either.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Banned

How come no one is addressing the real issue. I rode in the back of trucks all my life, no big deal. The real issues isn't where were the parents, no seatbelt, or riding in the back of a truck. The real issues is EXCESSIVE SPEED!!!! Hello - McFly, anybody home???? Slow the F down and no one gets hurt!!!!

Forum Member

So if I'm in the back of a pickup truck going 20mph and the truck gets T-Boned by a cement mixer, I'll be ok? Idiot.

Forum Member

thats not at all uncommon around here, and as for where were the parents, hears a guess, at home in bed! my parents stopped keeping tabs on me after about 16. i came and went as i pleased. i lived on a farm, the parents are not always to blame, nor should they always have to know where their kids are. if this was a city, ied say yes. a farm town? hell no. you simply cant keep tabs on kids over 16 anyway. just my feeling on it, you should not have to, at that age your mature enought to think for your self with out holding you mommies hand.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default riding in the back

i was driving down the interstate a couple of days ago and seen 3 adults riding in the back sitting against the cab of the truck asleep. What are laws in different states regarding this

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty27 View Post
    thats not at all uncommon around here, and as for where were the parents, hears a guess, at home in bed! my parents stopped keeping tabs on me after about 16. i came and went as i pleased. i lived on a farm, the parents are not always to blame, nor should they always have to know where their kids are. if this was a city, ied say yes. a farm town? hell no. you simply cant keep tabs on kids over 16 anyway. just my feeling on it, you should not have to, at that age your mature enought to think for your self with out holding you mommies hand.
    Good point. You see this sort of thing all the time especially in hunting season. Then again, around here, pickups out number cars 3 to 1.

nmfire. I would rather be in the back of a pickup truck than the back if a mid-size or smaller car. And at 20 mph, I can jump out. Then again, I got my start in the back of a dump truck. The key is, don't sit on the sides, sit down in the box. And listen idiot (to use your terms and talk down to your level) Speed was the real issue.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Alrighty then. First of all there are a few good points that have been made, particularly from those of the farming community, and I should know, because I grew up on one too. However, we only rode the box while we were on farm land. Once we got onto public roads, it was into the cab again.

One thing that is not really desired is name calling and personal sniping. If you feel a need to do that, please do it via PM or other medium, because that activity is becoming rather tiresome, boy and girls.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Red face And...............

Maryland has had three Crashes where ten or more died. I was unlucky enough to have responded to two of them. One was a car full of people that was hit by a train, in 1958 or 59. The second was a pickup full of kids that struck a tree while sliding sideways. That was in 1977 or 78, and I was the Chief of the VFD that responded with the Heavy Rescue in that district. I can still see a row of Backboards along the side of the road, each with a body covered with a sheet. The car that was struck by the train was mostly adults, and apparently the driver did not know that he had to stop before crossing the track. The Pickup was a group of kids haning out at point "A" and suddenly deciding to all go to point "B" Lot of kids in several vehicles. Probably the toughest job I've ever worked. "Every Occupant of the Vehicle Shall be Seated and Belted" should be the law, everywhere. Today, we're sitting on a bomb, waiting for another episode like the ones in the past, due to the habits of migrant workers, who follow the habits of their countries where there are no Traffic Laws like ours. I've run several crashes already where people were riding improperly, like one a month ago where five (Yes, Five) people were in the cab of a 2 door pickup.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    nmfire. I would rather be in the back of a pickup truck than the back if a mid-size or smaller car. And at 20 mph, I can jump out. Then again, I got my start in the back of a dump truck. The key is, don't sit on the sides, sit down in the box. And listen idiot (to use your terms and talk down to your level) Speed was the real issue.
    And once again, we have our daily dose of HotFodder. It is safer in the back of a pickup truck if you get hit by a cement truck. I'll keep that in mind.

MembersZone Subscriber

sure is a terrible thing that happened. But, and I feel strongly about this but. We can't make eleventy trillion laws protecting us from ourselves. If there were laws for everything I did that could have gotten me killed growing up, it would be about that number. I'm sorry it happened, but I feel like it's wrong for the government to try and micromange our every move.

That said my kids wouldn't be in a truck bed going over 25mph. If I had any that is.

Forum Member

rural town and a cement mixer? some how i doubt your going to have too many high speed collisions with cement trucks in farming towns. collisions with deer would be the real worry, that and DWI's. im an about 100% sure if you go into and accadnet riding in the back of a pickup, it is probly not going to be a cement truck, and if you did get hit by a cement truck, your screwed anyway. most likley causes of such of anaccadent would probly be (around here at least) deer, reckless driving/high speed. or DWI

Forum Member

Ok fine. If your in the bed of a pickup truck and you plow into a combine, you are also screwed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty27
    rural town and a cement mixer? some how i doubt your going to have too many high speed collisions with cement trucks in farming towns. collisions with deer would be the real worry, that and DWI's. im an about 100% sure if you go into and accadnet riding in the back of a pickup, it is probly not going to be a cement truck, and if you did get hit by a cement truck, your screwed anyway. most likley causes of such of anaccadent would probly be (around here at least) deer, reckless driving/high speed. or DWI
    Actually in my first department we could be considered rural/farming country. In my experience from that area and driving through other "farming towns" chances for T-bones and high speed MVC's are likely being that the roads are typically high speed and the intersections are controlled by only stop signs which are sometimes ignored or missed even with a few intersections also having rumble strips prior to the intersections.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking And...............

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Ok fine. If your in the bed of a pickup truck and you plow into a combine, you are also screwed.

Good Point Bro, but don't forget the ever popular Hay Baler......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Default COPS video

Ever see the S-10 get hit by the tractor trailer during the pursuit? Sure glad I wasn't the stolen item in the bed. Talk about "just desserts".

Unhappy yall need 2 get ur news right

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    I know there is another thread in here with the same topic in mind, but work is not allowing me time to do an effective search.....

Deadly Crash Claims 3 Teens

POSTED: 1:17 pm EDT September 4, 2007

HILLSVILLE, Va. -- Three Virginia teenagers died in a deadly car crash Sunday. State police said Tuesday two teens rode in the back of the bed of the pickup truck and the third victim was not wearing a seat belt when the truck overturned, then caught fire.

Several people were injured in the accident, including the driver and another passenger.

According to state law, anyone under age 16 cannot ride in the bed of a truck, with exceptions for parades and farm operations. I personally don't think age should have anything to do with it. UNLAWFUL for all is how it should read.

Allison Rebecca Turman and Ashley Leonard of Cana, Va., were the two teens riding in the bed of the truck. They were 14 years old. Brianna Peak, 17, of Dugspur, was not wearing a seat belt when was ejected from the truck said Sgt. Michael Conroy.

Allison and Brianna were cousins who had just left a family birthday party for two young cousins after church when the accident occurred, Allison's aunt, Vera Hall, told the Roanoke Times.

State police did not release the names of those injured. All the victims were treated at a hospital and released . Television station WSLS in Roanoke identified Adrian Leonard -- Ashley's sister -- as the driver.

"It was all my fault because I should not have been driving like that," Adrian said in an interview with WSLS as family members gathered at the accident scene to put up a flower-covered cross in Ashley's memory.

"It hurts so bad to see her laying on the side of the road not alive," Adrian said.

"She was so funny ... we had such a fun time with her," she said. "She loved all of us, and she loved guys especially, and we were all so close. We were like a big family."

Hall described Allison and Brianna as loving, happy teenagers.

Allison had recently started as a ninth-grader at Floyd County High School, where she was hoping to play on the basketball team. She excelled at sports and was a straight-A student who stood out with her red, curly hair, Hall told the Roanoke newspaper.

"She was just so full of life," Hall said. "She just had a happy, feisty spirit. She was beautiful."

Brianna was a senior at Carroll County High School in Hillsville.

"She always hugged everybody and told them how much she loved them," Hall said.

"They both are going to be so missed," she said.

All the truck's occupants were from Virginia and were 14 to 17 years old.

Conroy said the 15-year-old driver was unlicensed. Police have not decided whether to file charges, he said.

The accident occurred on Virginia 690 in Carroll County, about two miles north of the North Carolina border. The southbound truck was coming out of a curve when the driver veered off the right side of the road, overcorrected and then ran off the road to the left. The truck hit an embankment and flipped before catching fire, Conroy said.

Police said speed appeared to be a factor in the crash.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press.
    most of this aint true im the persos sister that owns the truck and there was 3 in the back of the truckand 3 in the front and andria missies all 3 of them and even the news paper was wrong on a lot of things i dont think people should but things up unless they have prove cause people shouldnt get the wrong news about something like this and we miss and love all 3 of those girls so getur news right!

Thread Information