MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Angry I Read This With Mouth Hanging Open....

I am more than a little stunned as to how the courts came to this conclusion. Especially in light of "she moved the car at least once, and returned to it at least five times during the day"........????

Mom Not Charged In Toddler's Hot Car Death. Video Shows Mom Returned To SUV Five times

POSTED: 7:59 am EDT September 5, 2007
    UPDATED: 11:24 am EDT September 5, 2007

BATAVIA, Ohio -- A mother who left her 2-year-old daughter in a hot car for more than eight hours will not face criminal charges, reported WLWT-TV in Cincinnati.

The Clermont County prosecutor's office said Brenda Nesselroad-Slaby left her daughter Cecelia in her sport-utility vehicle Aug. 23 at Glen Este Middle School.

The prosecutor's office said Tuesday that the girl's death was an accident, and no charges would be filed.

Leaving the child in the car for the workday was "a substantial lapse of due care," but it did not meet the definition of reckless conduct necessary for prosecution, said Clermont County Prosecutor Don White.

Nesselroad-Slaby's attorney, R. Scott Croswell III, has said that she became distracted from her normal routine of dropping Cecilia at a baby sitter's house because she stopped to buy doughnuts for a faculty meeting, then forgot about the girl when she unloaded the doughnuts from the back of the vehicle.?????

Union Township police released security camera video on Tuesday that showed that Nesselroad-Slaby returned to the SUV five times during the day, and once moved the SUV to another location in the parking lot.

Union Township police said they believe Nesselroad-Slaby should have been charged with child endangerment.

White said that from numerous comments from the public that his office has received, people are about evenly split regarding possible prosecution.

"However, unlike most elected officials, judges and prosecutors should not, and by law cannot, make their decisions based on popular or public opinion," White said. "Judges and prosecutors are bound by the law."

Nesselroad-Slaby has been on paid leave since her daughter's death. There was no answer at her home phone after the prosecutor's decision was announced.

White has said from the beginning that the child's death was an accident, and the only question was whether a charge of child endangering was appropriate.

On Tuesday, he said he would not ask a grand jury for an indictment.

"The statements of witnesses, a significant interview with Cecilia's mother and a review of videotape and audiotape support the conclusion that Cecilia's mother simply, albeit tragically, forgot that Cecilia was asleep in her car seat when she arrived at work early Thursday morning," White said in a statement released by his office.

"As bad as that appears, it is not a perverse disregard of a known risk," he said.

A July analysis by The Associated Press showed around 340 heat-related deaths of children trapped inside vehicles in the past 10 years, and a wide range of prosecutions and penalties.

Charges were filed in just less than half the deaths. Of those that had been decided, 81 percent resulted in convictions or guilty pleas, and half of those brought jail sentences.

The AP identified more than 220 cases in which the caregiver admitted leaving the child behind. More than three-quarters of those people said they simply forgot.

The same day as Cecilia's death, a 7-month-old infant died in a parked car near the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, where the child's father is a research analyst, authorities said. Prosecutors there have not said if they will file charges.

This weekend, an Oregon man was charged with child neglect, accused of leaving his 2-year-old daughter in a car in 95-degree heat in the parking lot of a Nevada brothel. The toddler was treated for dehydration and released to the Nevada Division of Child and Family Services.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting.
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 09-05-2007 at 12:16 PM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

Justice at its finest.
    Respect.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

B as in B, S as in S!
    Hang her from the nearest yardarm!

Jimmy mac
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt. (When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!)

Forum Member

that is so sad.this summer we had a story like this one.the baby died because of heat,but the mother was sent to jail.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Forum Member

So she's part of the faculty of a middle school... if she was stressed and distraught because she was poor and had no job, she would have been given a first class ticket to jail, do not pass GO, do not collect $200. Nope, there's not a two tiered system at all.
    Vita brevis; terra larga.

Forum Member

Thumbs down wow....

I wish there were more common sense laws out there. You're an idiot, you go to jail. Simple as that.

If you're going to forget your child in your car because you got donuts, you deserve to be in jail.

Forum Member

what the hell???????????? a little child is dead now because her mother 'innocently' and 'accidently' forgot her in the car......and her 'mother' isnt going to be punished at all...just a little slap on the wrist ...
    First in, Last out, nobody left behind.....

Forum Member

"The law is an ***" was never a truer say than in this case.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Unhappy

*** IM NOT STICKING UP FOR THIS WOMAN****

BUT.....

She also has to live the rest of her life knowing that SHE killed he baby
    IMG]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f395/kb3kyx/firefighter44.jpg[/IMG]

Banned

I wonder if they would feel the same if she drove off with the child on top of the car. Ignorance is no excuse. But look on the bright side. The woman has tenure thanks to her Union and will be teaching future generations for years to come.

Forum Member

Now wait. When it says that she went back to her car a bunch of times throughout the day, did she know her child was in there? Or did she not realize it still?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by st42stephenAFT View Post
    Now wait. When it says that she went back to her car a bunch of times throughout the day, did she know her child was in there? Or did she not realize it still?
    And THAT my Friends is the $64.00 question.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

That also used to be the defense for not prosecuting hunters who'd mistakenly shot another hunter and claimed they thought it was a game animal.Too many people were getting shot by jealous husbands who found that their wife's boyfriend liked hunting too.
    How do you "forget" that you had your child in the car with you?
    I used to drive wheelchair buses carrying mentally and physically disabled passengers.Even when I KNEW no one was on the bus with me,I still checked the seats for forgotten belongings.If all I found was someone's CD player,I got their thanks.And I NEVER found a child that was supposed to have gotten off but stayed onboard unnoticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleadus View Post
    BUT.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Cleadus View Post

BUT.....

Maybe that is what she wanted. To spend the rest of her life without that poor baby.
    Just my humle two cents. I know that doesn't mean much.

Forum Member

If I believed in evolution I would hope upon hope that Darwin's survival of the fittest theory would come knocking on her door to "thin the herd".

And if just buying a box of doughnuts distracted her that much, she's got a lot more problems than what they think.

Here's what I think...if you can forget your kids, you must not have thought much of them to begin with!

Forum Member
    Spotsylvania Va, Currently S. Baghdad Iraq

Thumbs down

wow forgetting her child in the car just wow.....how do you forget your child amazing......and just think she works at a middle school not a good combo

Forum Member

Thumbs down

this dumb broad will probably get teacher of the year. What the hell is wrong with people today!
    JOHN 15:13

ISAIAH 43:2

1st Asst. Chief Ray Johns

FF/NREMT-B

Marion Volunteer Fire Department

Disillusioned Subscriber

And this little tidbit came out today, I believe...

Mom left girl in car before
    Incidents at preschool on two preceding days

BY BARRETT J. BRUNSMAN | BBRUNSMAN@ENQUIRER.COM

UNION TWP. - The day Cecilia Slaby died wasn't the first time her mother left the 2-year-old alone in a car, according to police reports made public Wednesday.

Brenda Nesselroad-Slaby was warned by a former administrator at the preschool attended by Cecilia's 5-year-old sister, Allison, not to leave her toddler in the car by herself.

A parent had complained about seeing Cecilia left in a car last winter.

A teacher at the Compass School in Loveland told police that twice in the two days before Cecilia's death she heard Nesselroad-Slaby describe leaving the child unattended in a car.

Teacher Tara Phillips told police that on Aug. 21 Nesselroad-Slaby arrived at 5:10 p.m. to pick up Allison.

"She told Allison to hurry up because the baby was in the car," Phillips wrote. The same thing happened the next day, Phillips said.

"We were acting out a story when Ms. Slaby came to pick up Allison about 3:05," Phillips wrote. "Allison asked Mom if she would stay to watch her part. Mom stayed, and they both left at 3:15. Mom didn't go to check on the baby."

Debbie Wolf, a former Compass School administrator, told police that after the parent expressed concern last winter about a baby left in a car, she told Nesselroad-Slaby "that her child should not be left in the car alone. Mrs. Slaby apologized."

Wolf told police the incident prompted the school to warn parents in its newsletter that "no child should be left in a car unattended."

Clermont County Prosecutor Don White said Tuesday that he wouldn't charge Nesselroad-Slaby in the Aug. 23 death of Cecilia.

The Hamilton County Department of Job and Family Services is investigating to determine whether Cecilia's sister might be at risk.

"We have an open case," said Brian Gregg, an agency spokesman. "We've met with the family and that's about all I can tell you" because of state and federal confidentiality laws.

The Hamilton County agency was alerted about Nesselroad-Slaby on Aug. 28 by Clermont County Children's Protective Services, Gregg said.

In general, the Hamilton County agency "would conduct a risk and safety assessment on parents and their ability to protect (the child) and make the right decisions," Gregg said. "Then, we would work with the parents on a plan and services so that the child can remain safe in the home. If we don't feel the child can remain in the home and be safe, then that's not an action we would take."

'SHOCK AND PANIC'

The Union Township Police report released Wednesday provided vivid details of the drama that unfolded at Glen Este Middle School on Aug. 23 after Cecilia was found in the rear passenger compartment of the car.

Nesselroad-Slaby expressed "shock and panic" upon hearing Cecilia was in her car, according to a witness statement released by police.

After learning Cecilia was dead, the Symmes Township mother "curled up on (the) floor" and "was hysterically crying," the report said.

Apparently consumed with guilt over forgetting she had left her daughter in the car for eight hours on a day when the outside temperature approached 100 degrees, Nesselroad-Slaby told police "she did not deserve to live," wrote Detective John Pavia.

Officers drove the distraught mother to Clermont Mercy Hospital, where she was evaluated before being released later that night.

Oh, yeah. This is a person I'd want to be in charge of my kids and their safety at school. Sure, I would.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow, Who goes to thier car FIVE times during the workday??

Either she was stealing stuff from work, or she was "checking" on the child.

That, combined with the repeat occurences says "Charge Her" to me.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Thread Information