Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default reciprocity from Florida to North Carolina(charlotte)

Hi, my name is chris. I am a florida certified FF1 and FF2, NREMT, and NR Paramedic. my question is as simple as this. What are my chances of getting hired by a department like charlotte, where the competition is pretty intense, with these credentials? I see all the time in some posts, if you have NREMT and paramedic, that helps alot, but what about my florida firefighter 1 and 2 certs? My driving record is clean, i interview well. I'm just trying to find out what kind of luck I would have at a big, out of state department with these credentials. Thanks!

chris

Forum Member

First contact NC Dept of Insurance(1-800-634-7854) and see if your FF credentials will transfer to NC. After that good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks medic. I know for a fact my fire certs transfer to georgia, south, and north carolina. I haven't checked anywhere else. i used charlotte as an example because they seem to be a really well ran department, but i guess I should have made my point that, my question is more generalized, and applies to any big city with fierce competition. I've only worked here in florida, were everyone that applies has to have ATLEAST EMT, fire 1 and 2, it is a state standard. I'm trying to find out if the competition would be tougher or easier other places, were not nearly as much is required to apply.

chris

Forum Member

I'm not in the Fire Service (currently) just married to a fire investigator... Seems that most larger city departments in North Carolina have such large number of applicants that the competition is very difficult... Never hurts to apply though... Don't know how much help being a paramedic will be since most ALS-EMS is run through county agencies or private agencies and not through the fire department... I think there are a few fire departments in the eastern part of the state that are ff/paramedic... However if you are interested in working as a paramedic you can apply about anywhere and if you are as good as you say, should have NO problem getting hired... most services are really hard up for paramedics.... You can always volunteer for the fire department... just a thought.

Thread Information