Thread: Thru R7 stats

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Default Thru R7 stats

While I procrastinate moving furniture and boxes...

1458 awards total

1211 Ops & Safety - $76,723,836 out of ~ $370 mil.
    247 Vehicles - $44,568,770 out of ~ $130 mil

Looks like we're only about 1/3rd of the way through. Lots of 1199As to come still. Last week they made link updates on Tuesday and Friday, so here's hoping we see that again this week.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Still waiting word

Glad to hear they're only about 1/3 of the way through. Still checking every other day (I backed off from the daily checks) to see if they've added a 2007 AFG under our 1199A link. No such luck, but trying to keep the faith. Hopefully the help I received this year from BC79er helps us see a new 1199A link for new bunker gear soon. Waiting patiently in Washington. Any idea if the first round of DJ's has gone out? That would make me feel a little better to know that we'd missed that. When checking for the 1199A link, I'm as nervous to find that DJ message waiting!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Casey903 View Post
    Glad to hear they're only about 1/3 of the way through. Still checking every other day (I backed off from the daily checks) to see if they've added a 2007 AFG under our 1199A link. No such luck, but trying to keep the faith. Hopefully the help I received this year from BC79er helps us see a new 1199A link for new bunker gear soon. Waiting patiently in Washington. Any idea if the first round of DJ's has gone out? That would make me feel a little better to know that we'd missed that. When checking for the 1199A link, I'm as nervous to find that DJ message waiting!
    First round of DJ's went out a couple of weeks ago.

MembersZone Subscriber

First round of DJ's went out on August 16th.

Forum Member

BC79er: if you can’t sleep at night can you figure out the non affiliate EMS stats?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

No problems sleeping at night here. 18 hours days will do that.

Harder to figure those out since we have to go line by line. Those totals I have are overall, including Fire & EMS. But they tend to move at the same speed on both sides, so probably 1/3rd of the way through both sides. Maybe more on the EMS since there's less dough.

Forum Member

Default Go Bucks

OK it’s raining in Ohio, but I did some math… 2% or $10.94 million going to nonaffiliated EMS…

Award Totals
    Departments: 115
    Federal Funds: $7,302,018.00

#1 EMS State: Pennsylvania 20

EMS Vehicles: 22
    Vehicle Funds: $2,691,894.00

EMS Operations & Safety: 95
    O & P Funds: $4,610,124

Ohio only was awarded 2 nonaffiliated EMS grants as of round 7…

GO BUCKS

I have my fingers and toes crossed!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah im glad it's only 1/3 done becuase so far Arkansas getting shafted pretty good and were one of the poorest states. We asked for 4 new SCBA's to replace ours that were made back in the late 70's. Well yeah ok one of them is a 1981 lol. Well I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed. Our annual budget is only $4,800 so there no way we could afford even one new SCBA especially with the CBRN price increase. We didn;t even bother asking for one SCBA per riding position we couldn;t afford the 5% for that. lol

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by volfireman034 View Post
    Yeah im glad it's only 1/3 done becuase so far Arkansas getting shafted pretty good and were one of the poorest states. We asked for 4 new SCBA's to replace ours that were made back in the late 70's. Well yeah ok one of them is a 1981 lol. Well I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed. Our annual budget is only $4,800 so there no way we could afford even one new SCBA especially with the CBRN price increase. We didn;t even bother asking for one SCBA per riding position we couldn;t afford the 5% for that. lol
    That may have been a fatal mistake on your part guy. If you did not ask for what would put you in 100% NFPA compliance. I wish you luck .
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    That may have been a fatal mistake on your part guy. If you did not ask for what would put you in 100% NFPA compliance. I wish you luck .
    OK lets discuss this from the angle of them not being able to fund their 5% from the budget they have . While I agree with you that according to the rules we are supposed to ask for a complete solution to be 100% compliant with nfpa, how are the small rural depts going to compete when they are barely keeping the doors open and paying their operating cost?
    I know there are many ways to raise funds{ we have used most of them} but a lot of dept's do not have the ability to fund even their 5% share, so that leaves them out of the competition for federal dollars. With the ever increasing cost of equipment such as SCBA's and changes that require constant expensive upgrading in order to remain compliant, how do they expect us to keep up?
    We have been upgrading our SCBA's over the last 5 years and now we need to expend many thousands more to retain any resemblance of meeting the new specs. Then you throw in the sealed pass alarms which will become a maintenance night mare and create a disposable item that we will have to hire out the servicing of. So much for keeping it simple!

Forum Member

Hey 5% is still better than the original 10%. Got a grant for the engine under the old system, had to take out a loan on my house to help the department meet the match but they go the first new truck in the departments thirty year's, and they road blocked/fish fried/raffled and hustled their butts off to pay off the loan in a year. Their annual budget is $10,000 and 3/4 of that is dedicated to a specific equipment list that the state requires to be purchased from. It is hard for a lot of the departments to meet the match, but there are ways, sometimes you just have to look outside the box.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    OK lets discuss this from the angle of them not being able to fund their 5% from the budget they have . While I agree with you that according to the rules we are supposed to ask for a complete solution to be 100% compliant with nfpa, how are the small rural depts going to compete when they are barely keeping the doors open and paying their operating cost?
    I know there are many ways to raise funds{ we have used most of them} but a lot of dept's do not have the ability to fund even their 5% share, so that leaves them out of the competition for federal dollars. With the ever increasing cost of equipment such as SCBA's and changes that require constant expensive upgrading in order to remain compliant, how do they expect us to keep up?
    We have been upgrading our SCBA's over the last 5 years and now we need to expend many thousands more to retain any resemblance of meeting the new specs. Then you throw in the sealed pass alarms which will become a maintenance night mare and create a disposable item that we will have to hire out the servicing of. So much for keeping it simple!
    Don't lose sight of the fact that you have 12 months ( PoP) to raise that 5% to put in your share. I woudl really find it very, very hard to believe that a community or fire dept could not raise 5% ( $2500) of a $50K SCBA grant in a years time. Beg, borrow, plead your case to the public but, I would certainly believe that this is not a herculean task. Yes it will take some effort on the part of the department and its members but, I am certain this is not beyond reason. I have worked iwith departments that have dirt floors in their firehouse, which was a converted stable and fire chiefs who are using their own personal credit cards to fuel their trucks afer the first quarter of a year, so poor is not something I am unfamiliar with.
    Last edited by ktb9780; 09-09-2007 at 08:05 PM.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Limeforever View Post
    Hey 5% is still better than the original 10%. Got a grant for the engine under the old system, had to take out a loan on my house to help the department meet the match but they go the first new truck in the departments thirty year's, and they road blocked/fish fried/raffled and hustled their butts off to pay off the loan in a year. Their annual budget is $10,000 and 3/4 of that is dedicated to a specific equipment list that the state requires to be purchased from. It is hard for a lot of the departments to meet the match, but there are ways, sometimes you just have to look outside the box.
    I'm with you on thinking out side of the box!
    We've done pig roast, lobster bakes , chowder suppers quilt raffles, car washes, block dances, bean suppers , auctions , bake sales boot drives, and many other projects to raise our operating budget. Many small departments do the same on a daily basis. The sad part of this is that it's necessary for us to expend SOOOOOOO much energy on fund raising in order to keep the doors open and the trucks running. We should be able to spend that time on training and classes to make us better prepared to answer the call.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    We should be able to spend that time on training and classes to make us better prepared to answer the call.
    Nationwide!

MembersZone Subscriber

Amen!

I had to add this line to meet the 10 character minimum. Why have a minimum?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by volfireman034 View Post

I love a post full of facts, so here goes.

How do you figure that Arkansas is being "shafted pretty good"? Historically in the AFG, Arkansas has done very well. Your department has been awarded twice now - 2003 and 2006. Both times for operations and safety. $9,438.00 and $7,799.00.

To be blunt, that is better than my department was doing, until I went and got an education on the AFG grants.

Now, your $4,800.00 budget. Is that for your TOTAL operations of the department? Does that include your 833 turnback funds? Conway can tell you for sure, I can find out if you want. If it does, what are you doing for additional fund raising? You are getting your 833 money aren't you? 5 million dollars a year goes to fire departments across the state through this program.

I know poor. We run two stations on less than 7k a year. Total. No 833 money, nothing from the state except excess property from the feds. We got a new KME pumper a couple of months ago - and we dug, scraped, bullied, buffaloed our way to the 5 % match. I was prepared to get a loan if need be - one of our local banks will do a 5 year no interest loan to Fire Departments. Arkansas has nearly 1 million dollars in a revolving loan fund specifically for fire departments.

http://www.forestry.state.ar.us/ruralfire/rural_p2.html

That link will take you to information about some of the many programs that Arkansas has for Fire Departments. I wish we had those in Missouri!!!!!!

Now - the pressing need - I read this as you have no positive pressure SCBA? If thats true, I will bring you some. I know of a department in PA that is getting rid of some, and I will pick them up and bring them to you if need be. It should not affect your grant chances in any way, but it may save a life. Let me know in a PM if you need them.

Thread Information