Default Best way to earn CA FF1, advice too

What is the best way to earn a CA FF1 if you are not on a paid department already? Is a community college academy the best way? Is it just as good to get experience reserving for a department and earning a FF1?

Alright with those questions aside, here is my current situation and I could use some advice on a best route of action.

I finish paramedic school in November and take Natl Registry in December of this year.

I went to a basic fire academy and was dropped on the 2nd to last day for a safety violation, I forgot to put goggles on while on the 2 1/2 and I opened the nozzle without them on. I earned all the certs from the fire academy and had enough points for a letter grade, but was not allowed to complete the academy. I also have a the pre-requisite courses for the academy completed. So I have some certs and classes but not an academy graduation.

Currently I am in the backrounds process with LAFD and just started reserving at a smaller department where I can earn a FF1.

The financial situation is also changing I am moving out of my parents house so now all the income will be coming from me.

What would you do in this situation. My goal is to get hired with a large department that will put me through their own tower/academy anyways.

Any advice is appreciated

Forum Member

Finish medic school and take your registry exam. See what happens with LAFD. Keep in mind they take a lot of people to backgrounds in LA so don't get your hopes up. Keep doing the reserve program. Can you message me as to what dept. that is?

Forum Member

Community college is the fastest way to earn the FF1 state cert. It's also the most expensive. If you could find a state certified training officer in a department who's willing to invest a little time in you, that would be the cheapest way to get signed off and earn your cert. Remember anything you already did in the past and can prove you completed it goes toward your FF1 cert. So for example if you reserve with a FD and attend fires and EMS calls, those OJT points can be added to the cert requirements. Good luck
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Community college is the fastest way to earn the FF1 state cert.

California is different than most states. You can not get your FF-I through community college. If you are not a paid FF you have to go through a private CA State Fire Marshal approved basic FF-I academy. After you have gone through the academy you need to become a Volunteer/Reserve/Auxiliary FF. You must complete 52 twentyfour hour shifts (1248 Hours). So, if you do one shift a week it will take you one year to complete enough hours to earn your CA State Fire Marshal FF-I. FF-II is another 52 twentyfour hour shifts (another 1248 Hours).

I received my CA FF-I cert in Feb 2003.

AZFF

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Community college is the fastest way to earn the FF1 state cert. It's also the most expensive. If you could find a state certified training officer in a department who's willing to invest a little time in you, that would be the cheapest way to get signed off and earn your cert. Remember anything you already did in the past and can prove you completed it goes toward your FF1 cert. So for example if you reserve with a FD and attend fires and EMS calls, those OJT points can be added to the cert requirements. Good luck
    So if i had the chief of the academy sign off everything I did in the academy up until I was dropped on the 12 pages of FF1 certifications could I use that towards my FF1 or should every requirement sign off come from the same department?

Thread Information