Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

Default Air Mask Straps....

Hello to all. I know this question may seem utterly silly o you, but it is a genuine question….

I want to buy a strap to put on my mask to secure it around my neck when not in use….

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...ir_mask_strap/

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...k_strap_nomex/

Not sure which one I would want to buy, but I am leaning more towards the Boston Leather one.

Anyways, the reason why I want to buy this is because I have a habit of hooking my air mask to the regulator when not is use and it just hangs down. I fear I am either going to break the mask somehow or do something to the air line like that. But here is the question….

I have never seen one of these straps used before, only in videos but that doesn’t help much. But lets say we are responding to a fire and I get most of my gear on, get my hood on and pull it down, get my mask with this strap on and hook the regulator on and hang it around my neck. We get on scene and the is smoke and flames. When I go to put my mask on and pull my hood up, does the straps themselves go inside the hood as well or do they hang out of the hood????

I know it sounds silly, but I didn’t know. Because it seems to me if the strap stays around your neck OUTSIDE of your hood then you can run a risk of it getting caught on something and pulling your mask and hood.

Thanks everyone for your help. And also thanks to the ones who I know are going to poke jokes :-) LOL.

Forum Member

buy the nomex one. just wear the strap around your neck, keep it there, when you don your mask, pull your hood up and the strap stays around your neck. you will have the thread your helmet strap either over or through the "reigns" that are now created by the strap

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Screw the strap. Seriously! They are a nuisance, and get in the way.

Buy a 50 cent non-locking carabiner (like the cheap key-holder style), and clip it to the shoulder strap of your SCBA. When you aren't wearing the mask, clip the top of the mask/hairnet into the little beaner. It holds your mask upright, and keeps the junk/water out. Since it stays attached to your pack when you are going to don the mask, it can't interfere with your hood, coat, helmet strap, etc, and it can hang all sorts of goodies too.

Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Thumbs up Yep

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    Screw the strap. Seriously! They are a nuisance, and get in the way.

Buy a 50 cent non-locking carabiner (like the cheap key-holder style), and clip it to the shoulder strap of your SCBA. When you aren't wearing the mask, clip the top of the mask/hairnet into the little beaner. It holds your mask upright, and keeps the junk/water out. Since it stays attached to your pack when you are going to don the mask, it can't interfere with your hood, coat, helmet strap, etc, and it can hang all sorts of goodies too.

Right on! It works like a charm and is easily obtainable. Not to mention cheap!
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

Or you can get a mask bag that clips to your harness. Orr you could do like I do and just unbuckle your waist belt and put your high pressure line under the waiststrap and rebuckle it. Your mask wont flop around and u just have to unclip your waistrap to get your mask back on.

Great tips. Thanks a lot guys!!

Forum Member

what kind of pack are you wearing?

Most packs should also have a hook coming off the shoulder strap that you can clip your tensioner ring into. thats where i keep mine. I ditched the strap because it hung down and got tangled in everything. when you wear it around your neck, its like a basket for everything to fall into.

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherHed4Life View Post
    what kind of pack are you wearing?

Most packs should also have a hook coming off the shoulder strap that you can clip your tensioner ring into. thats where i keep mine. I ditched the strap because it hung down and got tangled in everything. when you wear it around your neck, its like a basket for everything to fall into.
    We use Scott 2.5's, but I havent really noticed if there is a clip. But I do have a small ring on the front of my coat I could use the clip and keep it there when not in use I guess.

Banned

We use ISI's and they come with a clip for the face piece. But I can don the mask and not go on to air as well. All i need to do is flip a little switch and a way I go.

Forum Member

I use Scott also. If I am wearing the pack I wear the facepiece while leaving the MMR disconnected. It acts as primary eye protection even if not being used for resp. protection. People laughed at first, until someone went to the hospital during overhaul for crud in the eye. Also found it eliminates the "helmet dance" when I have to start using air. Never found a reason NOT to wear the facepiece, therefore, never needed a strap. Even with our "antique" MSA's with the low pressure "elephant weiner" I just tucked the "wang" in my chest pocket. Never had a problem breathing.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Huh??................

You people actually use these things??...... I hang one on my back to impress the ladies that are watching in the crowd, but breathe air out of it??...... Nah, ole Leatherlungs will be OK......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KevinFFVFD View Post
    We use Scott 2.5's, but I havent really noticed if there is a clip. But I do have a small ring on the front of my coat I could use the clip and keep it there when not in use I guess.
    We have the Scott's too. I use the clip my mask to that hook with the top left D ring on my mask. Since they are the same hooks that are on bunker coats you can get your mask off easily in the dark and with gloves on. I tried a carabeener and found it harder to open up with gloves. Just practice with that hook and it should work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    All i need to do is flip a little switch and away I go.
    Where is that switch, and why have you not flipped it yet???
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by Binaroundawhile View Post
    I use Scott also. If I am wearing the pack I wear the facepiece while leaving the MMR disconnected. It acts as primary eye protection even if not being used for resp. protection. People laughed at first, until someone went to the hospital during overhaul for crud in the eye. Also found it eliminates the "helmet dance" when I have to start using air. Never found a reason NOT to wear the facepiece, therefore, never needed a strap. Even with our "antique" MSA's with the low pressure "elephant weiner" I just tucked the "wang" in my chest pocket. Never had a problem breathing.
    When I was a probie, and "everybody was doing it", I masked up in the truck, thinking it would save time, blah blah blah. After perusing sites like this, and the other site, as well as my own personal research (see trial and error), I have found out, especially while attempting to look down, my vision is HEAVILY obstructed, thus making wearing my mask a significant vision hazard. It may be my brand of SCBA, (Draeger), but I feel wearing it while NOT in an IDLH zone is a hazard unto itself.
    That being said, our masks come standard with a neck strap. It seemed like a good idea, but having the mask hanging down invites debris, water, etc to fall down into it, as I found out. I will be trying the beener trick now.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Well as far as eye protection is concerned, I am about to buy a new helmet that will take care of that problem. On our department, the majority of EMS people on our department are First Responders, basically because the county does not have their own med-control. Anyways, I just got my EMT-B, and on our departments EMT-B’s and up can have a blue helmet. The kind they issue us are the modern style, and I want the traditional style, so I am going to buy my own. Anyways I am going to buy the type with the flip down eye shields and goggles.

Lots of goof information. Thanks everyone.

Forum Member

goggles are your best friend when it comes to eye protection. It looks like the scotts have a better field of vision with the mask on, which is also sufficient protection.

When im on shift tomorrow ill snap a pic of my pack/mask.

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    ROFLMAO !!!!!!!!!! I am SO glad I wasnt drinking anyhing when I read this.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1 View Post
    ROFLMAO !!!!!!!!!! I am SO glad I wasnt drinking anyhing when I read this.
    Yea, he just kinda set himself up for that, and I couldn't resist.

Lord, I apologize, and be with them starving pygmies......
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    HAHA, I finally got it!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinFFVFD View Post
    HAHA, I finally got it!!!!!

Pardon me sir, but

DEE DEE DEE
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Thread Information