Thread: Charlotte

Forum Member

Default Charlotte

I was in a city on the outside of Charlotte recently for a class and drove into the city one night and I LOVE it up there. I have looked at the CFD and they seem to be a damn good department and hard to get on as well.

My question is what is the written test like? I have a GED would that hinder me from getting on with them?

Thanks in advance

Forum Member

I personally thought that the written test was a bear if you aren't use to civil service tests.

Forum Member

what is a civil service test to be exact? Is there any books I should purchase to use to study? I have taken a general knowledge type test that show how well your math, grammer, and logic skills are. I have also taken a modified CPAT.

I am going to purchase a weight vest and start training now so come time to test I will not strugle with it.

Forum Member

It's basically a general knowledge test. It's not hard at all. Beating out the other 3000 people that applied is the hard part.

MembersZone Subscriber

what kind of advantage does someone coming out of the military have when it comes to applying for a department such as Charlotte. How often do they hire?

MembersZone Subscriber

The written exam is a common knowledge exam. The hardest part is the "listening" part. Any that has taken it, knows what I'm talking about. I wouldn't say you have an advantage being military but it is a great resume builder.

Forum Member

Welcome back to the civilian life. WE have NO advantage whatsoever.

MembersZone Subscriber

Their written test isnt too bad...the worst part is the listening section, in my opinion. They play a tape and you have to follow directions based on what the tape says, and how it corresponds to a chart in front of you. It must not by too bad, though. I passed it last year and this year. Looks like I'll be there for 2008 too.

Also, the weight vest is an awesome idea. I bought one this January and used it until my test date. I used an 80 lb vest on the stairmaster for 6 minutes, then ran a half mile. As long as you can come off the stairmaster during the actual CPAT and not have jello legs or be totally out of breath, you should be fine.
    Last edited by TED1435; 09-09-2007 at 11:50 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfirefighter12 View Post
    what kind of advantage does someone coming out of the military have when it comes to applying for a department such as Charlotte. How often do they hire?
    The only advantage I know of is that you've taken the test before since it's very similar to the ASVAB.

Annually
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Default Military experience DOES help.

I have been in the military for 7 years. I have served oveseas, and I have up to this date one month a 3 days worth of FF experience. I just by luck found carrboro nc's website and was looking for jobs. They were accepting applications. I was in the area a few days later and brought in my application and talked to the fire cheif about the job. I came by the station a few more times in between the the CPAT and interview. One day later the cheif tells me I placed second and got the job. Now remember I at that point had NO FF experience and nothing work related. All I had was my military experience. Now I am employed with carrboro fire rescue and they are paying me to go through school. Later I found out that bringing in my app by hand and military experience, with a great interview got me the job. Be aware that the FD knows who and what they want before the app process is even posted. Keep trying if I can do it I know others can. I know this was long but keep faith....

Keep your military pride

Go ARMY!!!!! 3rd ID

MembersZone Subscriber

I have 6 years prior FF experience as a volly as well and also will have my degree in Fire Safety Engineering Safety and Technology when I start applying.

MembersZone Subscriber

Past experience doesn't really give you an edge. They don't even ask for your firefighter certifications during the hiring process, but they will ask for a copy of your EMT. If you're national registry, you should be great. Otherwise, look into the NC/SC reciprocity agreement. Also, you can't turn a CFD application by hand...everything is online, from signing up for the written test, to the pre-polygraph exam.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have been contemplating picking up my EMT before I get out of the Military and start applying

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know details about CFD's shift schedule or retirement system?

MembersZone Subscriber

24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 48 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on 4 days off with a kelly day or night built in every month. Not sure about Retirement. Talking to the guys in Charlotte, most of the hiring process is based on how you do on the exam, the background, the polygraph, and the interviews. It is NOT about who you know. I know guys on the job that had Fathers on the job, and took the test 5 times to finally get on. They say it is a great job, if you can be patient to take the time to get on.
    Last edited by jwboudreau55; 11-29-2007 at 10:23 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

***sorry, mispost***
    Last edited by Paratrooper; 12-31-2007 at 06:40 PM.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Fire/Home.htm... some info on ret. is on the website

Thread Information