Forum Member

Default What are my Chances?

When I was a juvenile, 4-5 years ago I had made the mistake to experiement with alchohol and got charged with Underage consumption. I had went through all the classes i had to and expunged the record when I turned 18. I was wondering if this should be a concern to me when trying to get a FF job? and how i should deal with this on my applications.. it has been expunged and was when I was a juvenile but i would really like your opinion.

Glad to help.

Time is on your side. In this day and age it's not uncommon to see a candidate who has had an underage drinking. You probably did 25, 50 or more times, right? You were just caught. Fortunately you didn't get a DUI.

I was wondering if this should be a concern to me when trying to get a FF job? And how I should deal with this on my applications.. It has been expunged and was when I was a juvenile but I would really like your opinion.

You probably read my posting on Firehouse.com: http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=94027

Having it expunged doesn't mean it can't be found. Too many believe that if it happened when when you were a juvenile the records get sealed and no one can find out. Not true.

Here's the reality. The background packet will be asked in several different ways "Have you ever?". It will also ask if even if you had something expunged they want to know what you had expunged.

If the agency that offers you a job there it could be conditional on passing a medical and psychological interview with a doc. This is where the wheels come off a lot of candidates because up to 40% fail the psych. Most go in unprepared.

Your best day is take responsibility and reveal it. This solution might help to convince those making the hiring decisions that this will never, ever happen again:

This is who I was.

This is what happened.

This is what changed.

This is what I learned

This is who I am now.

Good luck.
    Last edited by CaptBob; 09-08-2007 at 08:43 PM.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

NYS states in their juvinelle consumption laws that it can't be used to bar you from public employment.

Forum Member

Default From the same candidate

But if the application I fill out asks about a criminal record or being arrested but does not
    happen to ask about expunged records what should I answer? LW

CB: This is not your fatherís expungement anymore. Computers donít forget. If you donít include it on your application and background packet and they find it you could be eliminated from the process because you didnít answer honestly.

A candidate went through a similar situation as you and was put into a diversion program for a year. He was told his record would be clear of any charges. He even called the DA in the arresting county and was told he didnít have to list the charge because there was not record. NOT! We he applying for AMR Ambulance and it turned up on his record. So he started listing it realizing if a fire agency found it he would be toast. The next agency he listed it but they did not find it. They complimented him on his honesty and hired him for a cadet position. The following year this agency hired him as a full time firefighter and sent him to medic school on their dime.

He applied listing the charge at two other agencies that found the charges and was hired after he passed the psych. So, thatís 3 fire jobs in four years. What do you think would have happened if he were eliminated by not disclosing the information early on in his pursuit?

LW: And do you honestly think that this will affect my chances of getting hired

CB: I donít think this charge will keep you from getting hired if you are honest and present your case in the right way. Stupid kid thing yada, yada, yada.

LW: Lastly are public agencies allowed to use juvenile or expunged records against you? Thanks you very much for your time!

CB: Most can and will. Happens all the time. Are you willing to take that chance when this incident will probably just be a speed bump in you pursuit?
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information