MembersZone Subscriber

Default Impersonating a Firefigher

No, I am not making fun of truckies....But this is disturbing. I know we always talking about making sure something like this does not happen whenever we have people on here asking to trade patches, etc....

-------------------------------------------------------------------

HUNTINGTON BEACH, Sept. 8, 2007 - James Campbell seemed to relish being a firefighter, showing up in uniform at the World Trade Center, train wrecks, the aftermaths of hurricanes including Katrina and wildfires.

The problem is, authorities say, he was never a firefighter.

Police arrested Campbell on Friday on suspicion of impersonating a firefighter, possession of stolen property and being a felon in possession of firearms.

Inside his apartment, officers said, they found a pile of official gear: dress uniform, flight suit, yellow firefighting suit, department patches, fire helmet, wallet badge and an L.A. County Fire Department radio. On Campbell's walls were hundreds of framed photos of him at disaster sites in uniform, authorities said.

"This is a guy who really wanted to be a firefighter. He wanted to act as a hero," Orange County Deputy District Attorney Andre Manssourian said.

Campbell even created a DVD of some of his firefighting excursions, which may have been used to promote his business, Frontline Safety Products, which sold safety equipment and taught first aid courses, mostly to construction companies and government agencies, Manssourian said.

Despite his efforts, Campbell had no chance of being a real firefighter. While working as a paramedic in Arizona, he was convicted of credit card fraud in 1987. His paramedic's license was revoked and the felony would have prevented him from joining the Los Angeles County Fire Department, authorities said.

"The public puts a lot of trust in firefighters," said Fire Department spokesman Sam Padilla. "People don't think twice about an unknown man with big baggy clothes or a uniform. It's a shame that someone is pretending to be a firefighter to take that trust and bend it, distort it."

Copyright © 2007 KABC-TV and The Associated Press (AP). All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Forum Member

in this case,this man is sick:mythomaniac.i'm sure that "in his head "he is a firefighter and he could not say he is not firefighter,part of his sickness.

but when you trade patches(i traded some with american ffers),i know that i'm not firefighters,just for fun.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe he still has a chance with the Bridgeport Fire Department. They are hiring felons.

Forum Member

Unhappy

Sad story. Sick person. Unfortunately, it happens. Won't stop me from trading, but sad.

MembersZone Subscriber

Clarification:

I did not mean to post this as an effort to stop trading. A small part of the reason why I posted this story is because some people get upset when we ask them for "credentials" when we trade patches. I meant it to help show why it is good to be careful. (I love to trade patches, and spend to much money buying extra duty shirts to trade on vacation, outside trainint, etc...)

The main reason I posted this story is because of the story. It's sad to see stuff like this, and kind of scary how somebody was able to infiltrade a "Crime Scene (9/11). If he had bad intentions, he was in a position where he could do some damage.

Forum Member

Default it a felony

I don't know if our state had this problem, of just stories like that finally fed up legislation, but now Michigan has made it a felony to be in possession of anything that would allow you to look like or impersonate a Fire Fighter (badges, patch, gear) unless it in a displace case/setting. so if our state feels that its that bad maybe we all should help to take part and start better policing our selves.

Forum Member

I impersonate a firefighter every third day! And the crazy thing is.... they pay me!!!!
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

We had something like this happen in our county a few years back. This same guy kept showing up on large fires where several dept's were involved wearing full PPE except for SCBA. Finally one day on a large commercial structure fire on the outskirts of the city fire fighters on scene noticed that there was a fireman walking around the exterior of the structure wearing totally different style turnout gear than everyone else. They figured he was just from a different department that didn't get paged out and was there freelancing. They pulled him back and when none of the officials on scene recognized him they had him detained. The police found a stolen county fire fighter ID card that he had been using to gain access past the fire line and later determined that he had somehow came across some old turnout gear from a neighboring county.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm with Chicago. I pretend to be one every third day. I go to work with my uniform on and it says :firefighter: and I grab my gear and then I hop on an ambulance....

MembersZone Subscriber

The one story you'll never hear or see though:
    Firefighter caught impersonating a Paramedic!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    The one story you'll never hear or see though:
    Firefighter caught impersonating a Paramedic!
    I don’t even know if that is a crime. Having said that I have heard more than once “I’m a medic”. Really, paramedic? No..um..EMT. Oh..ok.

This guy proves the theory that awareness on scene is king. It isn’t a huge leap to go from this guy to a guy with a belt bomb walking in to your scene.

Truckie

There has been people impersonating firefighters since the advent of these forums....
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    There has been people impersonating firefighters since the advent of these forums....
    ROTFLMAO!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information