Cool From another non-smoke eater

Hello all! Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Kathleen, and I am not a fireman, nor related to a fireman (although my dad was a volunteer fireman when I was a kid). I am actually a writer. I write romantic suspense and my current project deals with a serial arsonist. My background and training is in clinical psychology, so I have a fairly good grasp of the psychological profile of arson, but my knowledge of firefighting in general, the physics and chemistry of fires and arson is woefully lacking. I've got a stack of articles and books that I'm working my way through, but I figured it would be useful to cultivate some acquaintances with some real-life firefighters who might possibly allow me to pick their brain! Hope I don't make a nuisance of myself or bug anybody. I look forward to getting to know y'all.

Forum Member

Bouncin between the rust belts mitten and Charm City on the Chesapeake

This may or may not be of use to you, but I know that there was a book in the 70s....a really good book I read awhile back about a serial arsonist and a string of fires he started....it also has a seperate romance side of the book....it was really good and as soon as I get home, I'll check the title on it for you....

Zach
    Quote Originally Posted by jedch47 View Post
    You like me are probably just a small player in this big EMS game. I am sure that it all makes sense to the people in charge. I am under the impression that when you start in upper level managment you lose the majority of your common sense.

Forum Member

Cool

welcome aboard.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are a handful of "true crime" nonfiction works written by arson investigators or compiled from interviews with them that might be helpful, they would present some real-world investigative context with a fair amount of firefighting practices and procedures. A search at Amazon will turn them up.

Obviously, reading stuff like that won't make you an expert by any measure, but will provide you with enough awareness and jargon to enable you to fool the average individual with no prior knowledge of the field.

If you have any specific questions on firefighting tactics or practices, you will probably get at least nineteen different opinions from this board. However, asking questions about investigative techniques is likely to go nowhere or may result in some hostility. Assuming your intent is positive, remember that there is no doubt that others with less-than-honorable intentions are reading this board daily.

Good luck.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

Hello from Indiana and welcome to the forum.

Thread Information