1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5

    Default Use of safety glasses on a medical scene

    We have had this policy for a couple of years and I just wondered if this was very common. We have to wear safety glasses for every medical run. Has anyone else put a policy like this in effect and does it get enforced?

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,439

    Default

    We have the same policy, but enforcement varies.

    It is a great routine to get into. I have had many a patients spit bloody sputum in my face, cough at my face, sneeze at my face. I keep a cheap pair in a soft pouch in my pants to keep from getting scratched.

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Yup, that's what we've got as well...

    A neighboring dept probie wasn't wearing his on a call, a male was having a seizure and his "partner" was standing there. The guy started spitting, and the probie got some spit in his eye. Turns out the guy was HIV+, and the probie had to go on the AIDS cocktail of drugs...

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    BKDRAFT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    1,146

    Default

    Yes we are required to wear then on every EMS call.

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber
    fyrmnk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    519

    Default

    We are issued them. We take them in on every call, and most have lanyards to keep them around our neck so when we need to put them on during a call, we have them easily accessible. We don't have to wear them constantly on every medical.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

  6. #6
    Good thing's happening

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NYC to NC to NY
    Posts
    486

    Default

    we have them but they are tinted safety glasses which makes them pretty bad at night. We have to wear them to all medical calls including wrecks.

    Rob

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by almsfan22 View Post
    Yup, that's what we've got as well...

    A neighboring dept probie wasn't wearing his on a call, a male was having a seizure and his "partner" was standing there. The guy started spitting, and the probie got some spit in his eye. Turns out the guy was HIV+, and the probie had to go on the AIDS cocktail of drugs...
    wow that really sucks. Some guys wear them, and some don't. That is one of the greatest fear on a medical call, someone gets blood on you, or spits, and you get infected with a serious disease/virus.

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Dickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,112

    Default

    No, we do not have this policy.

    Only if there is a danger of something splattering or squirting do we wear them.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

    IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    engine13A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Portland,OR
    Posts
    76

    Default

    we wear em

  10. #10
    Border Patrol

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Where the Buckeyes meet the Wolverines
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Our policy is glasses & gloves for everything. Had a whacked out hypoglycemic diabetic that was spitting at us just a few days ago. I was glad to have mine on and so was my crew.
    "The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." - Vince Lombardi

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Weruj1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    7,857

    Default

    we just adpoted this and put it into action.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    firenresq77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Posts
    5,213

    Default

    We've had the policy for a few years. Not enforced as much as it should be, though.


    I wear a pair of indoor/outdoor safety glasses. They have a slight tint so they can work as sunglasses, but not too much of a tint so you can still see indoors and at night......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    MPVFD2046's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Swamp
    Posts
    89

    Thumbs up Glasses for EMS

    I wear my glasses for EMS and keep a second pair in my bunker coat. This has been very beneficial even though the rule is not enforced all the time.

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ChiefReason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Illinois-where pertnear is close enough!
    Posts
    5,636

    Default

    Why would you only be concerned with the eyes?
    If the mouth is exposed, you can still be infected with the patient's bodily fluids.
    Glasses only policy doesn't go far enough.
    In fact, the bloodborne pathogens regulations would require more than just safety glasses.
    Check on it.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

  15. #15
    makes good girls go bad
    BLSboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    On the beach, Fla/OCNJ
    Posts
    2,859

    Default

    I had a pt cough, and a glob of sputum flew into my eye. I intend on wearing mine on ALL calls here after. You can always take em off, and I wear the S&W shooter glasses, so they at least look kinda cool.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    BKDRAFT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    1,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason View Post
    Why would you only be concerned with the eyes?
    If the mouth is exposed, you can still be infected with the patient's bodily fluids.
    Glasses only policy doesn't go far enough.
    In fact, the bloodborne pathogens regulations would require more than just safety glasses.
    Check on it.
    CR
    Were not just worried about your eyes but more often that not your eyes are open a lot more than your mouth. Are you suggesting we wear masks on every EMS run?

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    BKDRAFT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    1,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
    we have them but they are tinted safety glasses which makes them pretty bad at night. We have to wear them to all medical calls including wrecks.

    Rob
    You know they make clear, yellow, and tinted ones you know? I find the yellow to work the best.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1

    Default Safety eyewear is cheap, eyes are priceless...

    Do firefighters, emt's, etc. get safety eyewear provided to them? Or do they go out and buy it on their own at Home Depot? Do they have safety eyewear programs available to you?

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    pletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Holton, MI
    Posts
    55

    Default no

    My department doesent require us to wear any eye just gloves, however after reading these here post im getting a pair for myself, in the jump bag there only one pair so i think this is something i should address, Thanks

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    Weruj1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    7,857

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by browneyedgirl27 View Post
    Do firefighters, emt's, etc. get safety eyewear provided to them? Or do they go out and buy it on their own at Home Depot? Do they have safety eyewear programs available to you?
    we PROVIDE all personnel with a fanny pack, safety glasses, and a PPE case.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

  21. #21
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ChiefReason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Illinois-where pertnear is close enough!
    Posts
    5,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    Were not just worried about your eyes but more often that not your eyes are open a lot more than your mouth. Are you suggesting we wear masks on every EMS run?
    No; I'm saying that the standard says that you need to protect yourself from any potential exposure.
    If there is concern that a patient is going to shoot lewgies, you will need to protect wherever a bloodborne pathogen can enter; mouth, nose, eyes or any open sores.
    You don't HAVE to wear any of it, but your Hep B shots won't protect you from all of it, either.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

  22. #22
    Forum Member
    AZFF25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    571

    Default

    About 4 years ago I was on a Cardiac Arrest call. I was doing CPR on a 29 Y/O F (heroin addict). The medic that intubated her went to far with the ET Tube......into her stomach. Well......she projectile vomited and it went into my eye's and mouth and down from my shirt to my pants. It was the most disscusting thing that has ever happened to me in my life. I was NOT wearing glasses or a mask. The day after this call I went and bought a pair of Uvex (yellow) safety glasses and the pouch that I clip on my belt loop with a small carabiner. Also got a mask and put it in the pouch. It was the best $12.00 I ever spent. I have never ran a call since without my glasses. Don't wait for your department to provide them for you, go out and buy your own pair. You will be glad you did. I know I was.

    My dept just issued safety glasses to everyone last week. I've been the only one carrying/using them this entire time.

    PS-I did NOT catch HIV, Hep-C, or any other disscuting disease that is out there. I was very fortunate to say the least....not to say I didn't stress out for awhile.

    WEAR YOUR SAFETY GLASSES!


    AZFF
    Last edited by AZFF25; 09-10-2007 at 10:09 PM.
    __________________
    "Too many freaks and not enough circuses!"

  23. #23
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AZFF25 View Post
    About 4 years ago I was on a Cardiac Arrest call. I was doing CPR on a 29 Y/O F (heroin addict). The medic that intubated her went to far with the ET Tube......into her stomach. Well......she projectile vomited and it went into my eye's and mouth and down from my shirt to my pants. It was the most disscusting thing that has ever happened to me in my life. I was NOT wearing glasses or a mask. The day after this call I went and bought a pair of Uvex (yellow) safety glasses and the pouch that I clip on my belt loop with a small carabiner. Also got a mask and put it in the pouch. It was the best $12.00 I ever spent. I have never ran a call since without my glasses. Don't wait for your department to provide them for you, go out and buy your own pair. You will be glad you did. I know I was.

    My dept just issued safety glasses to everyone last week. I've been the only one carrying/using them this entire time.

    PS-I did NOT catch HIV, Hep-C, or any other disscuting disease that is out there. I was very fortunate to say the least....not to say I didn't stress out for awhile.

    WEAR YOUR SAFETY GLASSES!


    AZFF

    A good thing to hear that you didn't get anything!

  24. #24
    Forum Member
    ltkeith25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    70

    Cool

    We just put a policy in place, even if you wear perscription glasses you should have safety glasses on over them, unless you have sideshields. We have a couple of industrial facilities that are in our area and they require them for all visitors. Also when your working an MVA with extrication you should have them on. You only get one pair of eyes!!

  25. #25
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California
    Posts
    434

    Default

    I think it is REQUIRED for the employer to provide eye protection from bodily fluids on EMS calls. Somewhere in OSHA regs maybe?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 11-23-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-24-2005, 09:04 AM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 02-02-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-03-2005, 11:42 PM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 01-18-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 12:17 AM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 12-20-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-31-2004, 10:39 PM
  5. World Of fire Report: 03-19-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-20-2004, 04:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register