Thread: Orange County

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Orange County

I recently took the test for Orange County and was wondering if anyone had any info. Has anyone heard back from them? Do you know how many took the test or how many they are hirring? Any of that good info, thanks.

Forum Member

Default Orange County

Hi

California or Florida? I took OCFA CA about 2 weeks ago. I heard it would be 3 weeks before we heard anything. I believe its the top 8% out of 4500. They have roughly 66 stations, so I am sure they will hire quite a few.

Kev

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry I should have said it is Orange County, CA that I am asking about. Thanks for the info.

Forum Member

Basically same info as above, they limited it to first 4500 apps and we should hear within three weeks, so hopefully by this weekend. Howd u guys think u did? I thought it was pretty easy... all basic stuff.

MembersZone Subscriber

yeah I feel also that it was prety basic. I was finished in like half the time that they allowed. It was not unlike alot of the other entry level tests.good luck

Forum Member

"I was finished in like half the time that they allowed"

When I was testing, I did that several times. I found many of the tests to be quite basic. After a while, though, I became a little more focused. I decided that if this was going to be a 30 year career, it would be worth putting in an hour or two of extra work. So here's what I did: when I was done with the test, instead of leaving, I would take it again, writing the answers on my scrap paper. I would then compare my two answers sets, and address any discrepancies.

Of course, this was a lot of extra work, but if they were going to give me four hours to take a test, I was going to use every second of it (unlike so many other candidates who would leave as soon as they could). One percentage point is often the difference between a badge and no badge. I would often find about 2 or 3 questions that I had answered incorrectly. On a 300 question tests, this 1% could save me.

Sorry this is a bit long winded, but it's some advice that worked for me, and hopefully it will help some of you guys.

Forum Member

I kinda agree with the above in a way, but at the same time i find i usually change more answers that wouldve been right in the first place when i do that. Guess it works differently for everybody...

Edit: anybody hear anything back yet? I know im still waiting...

Forum Member

Default Orange County Fire

Nothing yet. I have heard that bad news usually travels faster than good. So not hearing anything could be a good sign. We should hear back this week.

Stay safe,

Kev

Forum Member

Yeah hopefully thats the case, atleast thats what im thinking. Knew it was the same with LB, heard from a couple guys who got their letters, but didnt pass, and then i got mine like 2 weeks later that i did pass.

Forum Member

Default Ocfa

We shall see. I honestly thought the results would be sent within 2 weeks. Pretty sure the results will be sent to each canidates email.

Its just a waiting game now.

Kev

jl
    Forum Member

OCFA interiews are starting soon, if not already.
    It is part oral panel and then a presentation portion. I have never heard of interviewees giving a presentation as part of the interview portion of the process. If anyone has any insight into this and can share what might be expected, that would be greatly appreciated.
    What other depts use this type of "interview"?

Permanently Removed

ORCO did make the candidatre do oral presentations back in the early 90s. What has changed then and come back, I dont remember.

jl
    Forum Member

CALFFBOU--do you remember at all what it entailed, or topic?? I realize that is a long time ago, but any info might be helpful.

Forum Member

Default oral presentations

I have a friend who sits on the oral panel with ocfa. He said the presentations are 5 minutes and they will give you a topic and time to make notes. I believe they give you a booklet with info to take notes from. he did say that lots of people walk out because they are so uncomfortable. He said just go up and say something. I know the topics are pretty basic ones, like extinguisher classes or smoke detectors.
    I know 1 person that was reffered to the oral board, so if you have not heard back yet, you probably did not make the cut. He got a 121 out of 128.

Kev

jl
    Forum Member

5 minutes, that's not too bad. For some reason, I had it in my mind something along the lines of 15-20 minutes (now that I think about it, that doesn't make much sense, seeing as how many people they are interviewing).
    Thanks for the info.
    ARFF42-PM me if you can. I'd like to maybe pick your brain a little bit, if that is OK with you.

Forum Member

JL

What is your email? I can answer anything you want about OCFA. I was a Paid Call there for about 9 years.

Kev

jl
    Forum Member

ARFF42--I sent you a PM thru this site (thru the admin). If you could, enable your PM on this forum so I can email you there. Thanks!

Forum Member

JL

Just send your message here.

jl
    Forum Member

ARFF42--my email:

lastjo@gmail.com

jl
    Forum Member

So, I had my interview last week.
    On governmentjobs.com, under application status, it now shows, "eligible list placement". No ranking, dates or other info. Every other time it was updated, there was a date/time (for written and interview). So is this the generic message telling me I am on the list, but not high enough to go to the PAT? Didn't get the form-email either.
    Anyone else in the same boat?

Forum Member

I took mine on friday and at governmentjobs.com it says the same as yours, so your guess is as good as mine.

I just got my results through e-mail today, so if you guys haven't heard already, it should be coming soon. My application status on governmentjobs.com still shows "eligible list placement" even though I got my results already.

Good luck everybody!

Default Never give up, Never quit

I just retired after 32 years with OCFA and I'm sorry. It is the greatest job in the world and test everywhere and don't get discouraged. If you want it bad enough, you will get it. Good Luck

Default OCFA test

Hello im taking the test this month on Oct 25 at 1245 was wondering if anyone knows what the math part is all about or the test in general thanks for your time

Forum Member

Default Test

Bombero...You'll find on these formats when you ask a question like you have most are mum about them. They will not tell their compitition how to answer the questions. You need to research on where to look for the answers i.e. books or web sites. Good luck with your testing and remember.....hang in there.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Thread Information