Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Leaking Cascade Fill Station -- Brand New Unit

Help! We were told that leaks from our cascade fill station aren't covered under warranty, that anything coming from sea level to other altitudes will inevitably leak, and therefore, we are responsible for fixing leaks coming from our new compressor. I've been working to get the leaks fixed, mostly just tightening from the source right now which does seem to help (temporarily) as we were told by our vendor that we might have to buy teflon tape.

Is this routine and normal? The reason I ask is because I'm so tired of excuses, vendors know them all. The leaks cause it to loose about 1000 psi every 7 days, so to keep those filled up to 6000 psi will be impossible.

Oh and another problem...When I hit the panel lights, the whole system faults and shuts down. Is this a possible wiring problem, maybe we need another breaker switch? I'm willing to own this one, hoping someone else might have had a similar problem.
    Last edited by msgogeke; 09-10-2007 at 03:34 PM.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Angry Do What??...........

HAVE YOUR LAWYER CONTACT THE MANUFACTURER!!

I've never heard of such a thing. If it leaks at sea level, it leaks at 10,000 feet. Or backwards. Someone's messing with you, big time. You bought it, It has a Warranty, THEY have to fix it. Period!! No Excuses.

I just read that reference to Teflon Tape again. Why did anyone put something together without Teflon to begin with?? EVERY Threaded Joint gets Teflon. Any Joints that were assembled at the Factory should have Teflon on them to start with, and any that were put together at your location should also have it. Who put the system together?
    Last edited by hwoods; 09-10-2007 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Second Thought.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Our 20 year old cascade system doesn't leak a drop. Where is it leaking? At the tanks, or somewhere else in the system? Do you leave the tanks open at all times, or only open those valves when in use?

Forum Member

Default Leaking Where?

One of the Cascade bottles leaks from the bottom of the bottle, there is a bleeder valve of some sort, I can't get a really good view of it, I just know it is still leaking after I tightened it. The unit is pushed up against the wall pretty good so it is not an easily accessible site to take it entirely off and replace the teflon. The other location is somewhere in the filtering system, I think that only leaks until all the air is purged out from that side but the biggest problem is the leak from the bottle.

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, all the joints do have teflon tape, we were just told this would need to be replaced, by us, if it leaks. It was explained to us that this is a common occurance and not covered by warranty.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LawFires View Post
    Our 20 year old cascade system doesn't leak a drop. Where is it leaking? At the tanks, or somewhere else in the system? Do you leave the tanks open at all times, or only open those valves when in use?
    We close the tanks when the unit is shut down

Sounds to me like your getting jerked around by the company you bought it from.

A new product should have warranty. No excuses for it leaking...especially that over-seas bull ****. Man did I laugh at that.
    I hope you guys didn't buy it.

P.S. Do you have a lawyer? If they won't honor their warranty I'd be suing right about now.

I'd also take the system back, demand a full refund and buy another product from a better company.

It shouldn't be up to you to go tightening everything and replacing teflon tape, etc.

Obviously they didn't do one of two things.....

Test the product at the manufacturer, or failed to correct the leak issues and just shipped it out anyway.

Judging by their attitude, they know about the leaks. I'd say it failed manufacturer testing and they shipped it out anyway. Because they don't care.
    "You see things and you ask, 'Why'? I dream of things that never were and I say, 'Why not'?

"I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place."

"When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire."

So are you going to say who the manufacturer is?

So that other Brothers do not get jerked around the same way.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm thinking I'd chat with my lawyer. Depending on what he said, someone would be coming to either fix it, or pick it up. If they picked it up, they better have a full refund check in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by msgogeke View Post
    Help! We were told that leaks from our cascade fill station aren't covered under warranty, that anything coming from sea level to other altitudes will inevitably leak, and therefore, we are responsible for fixing leaks coming from our new compressor. I've been working to get the leaks fixed, mostly just tightening from the source right now which does seem to help (temporarily) as we were told by our vendor that we might have to buy teflon tape.

Is this routine and normal? The reason I ask is because I'm so tired of excuses, vendors know them all. The leaks cause it to loose about 1000 psi every 7 days, so to keep those filled up to 6000 psi will be impossible.

Oh and another problem...When I hit the panel lights, the whole system faults and shuts down. Is this a possible wiring problem, maybe we need another breaker switch? I'm willing to own this one, hoping someone else might have had a similar problem.
    the BS meters are pegging into the red...

The problem isn't with the manufacturer.. it's with the vendor who sold it and installed it.

The sea level to altitude line is complete BS... in theory then, a cascade system installed in Death Valley will never leak...

Fact: They should have done the proper installation. They should have come out to your station, checked the wiring to see if there was enough power to properly run the unit.

Fact: I would contact other FD's who bought a system from the same vendor and ask them if they have any problems. If they are being fed the same line of BS, I can feel a class action lawuit coming on.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 09-11-2007 at 08:26 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Thumbs down ???????

You have a bleeder valve on a cylinder??? does this thing have an air dryer?
    I second (or third ) the bring a check and pick this POS up now!! Then look around for a reputable dealer.
    I work in the industrial gas industry and the bleeder on a 6000 psi cyl. just don't compute!!!!
    Alan

leaks around teflon do happen, but their problem not yours. Teflon is not a sealant it is a lubricant to make tightening easier, and has been proven to cause leaks.
    Last edited by ARH176; 09-10-2007 at 11:07 PM.

Forum Member

Apparently this is not a DOT cylinder, but an ASME cylinder. ASME cylinders do indeed have a bleeder on them, as well as a relief valve. It is either leaking thru the bleeder, or at the threaded joint. Either way, I would insist that the vendor deal with it. Any problems with the purification on the compressor should also be dealt with by the vendor. Is this dealer an authorized warranty repair center? If not - I would find one. Either way, any repairs should not come at any cost to you. The "sea level" theory is absolute B.S. If I treated my customers this way I wouldn't have a job for long, and my employer probably wouldn't be a vendor for long.

One more thing - all threaded joints do not necessarily get Teflon. A compressor contains dozens of JIC fittings, o-ring fittings, and flared-tube fittings, none of which require Teflon.

I'm glad you brought that up.Depending on the type of joint,many DO NOT require teflon or sealer.As to the unit,I would give the vendor two options.Fix it to MY satisfaction or bring me a check for the FULL purchase price and we'll get a unit that will operate correctly.Of another brand.Never heard of a bleeder on a hi pressure tank and I can't imagine on a 6000 psi unit why you would have one on the TANKS,After all this is multifiltered DRIED air.We have DOT tanks,so I can't speak to the ASME versions.T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 09-11-2007 at 12:55 PM.

Forum Member

Default Manufacturer?

I don't want to say who the manufacturer is, from all indications they are very reputable and good compressors. They are made in the U.S.A. and it is a very reputable company, I have no complaints at all aside from the system faulting when the panel lights are turned on...and the frustrating leaks.

They are ASME bottles, it has been very helpful to hear some of the things you all would do, I just didn't know if I was being unreasonable to think it ridiculous we fix our own leaks, and how tight etc. to torque the different areas that are leaking, this isn't our expertise. I feel that if the bottle leaks today, something within the compresser will leak next month, and so on and so forth....

Quote Originally Posted by msgogeke View Post
    I don't want to say who the manufacturer is, from all indications they are very reputable and good compressors. They are made in the U.S.A. and it is a very reputable company, I have no complaints at all aside from the system faulting when the panel lights are turned on...and the frustrating leaks.

They are ASME bottles, it has been very helpful to hear some of the things you all would do, I just didn't know if I was being unreasonable to think it ridiculous we fix our own leaks, and how tight etc. to torque the different areas that are leaking, this isn't our expertise. I feel that if the bottle leaks today, something within the compresser will leak next month, and so on and so forth....
    Judging by the number of problems you are having with this unit the manufacture of the unit is not that reputable. Or they just dont do that good of a job putting together compressors. We bought a compressor last year and nothing leaked and it came from overseas to the US. The vendor installed the compressor and did a complete check of the system once he completed the installation. You sir are getting hosed by your vendor and the manufacturer. I would be demanding full repairs to my satisfaction or a full refund. For the amount of money paid for the system you shouldnt be doing any sort of work like that on it.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

MembersZone Subscriber LFD1MICHAEL's Avatar

Thumbs up lynch mob forming

Who is the manu. ??

Who is the BS'in dealer??

We want names!!

What up Shawn, long time no see

Years ago, we had a Bauer compressor. The machine itself, was good. The service company, was not. When it came time to replace the machine, that brand was not considered due to that being the only service company. I liked the machine, just not the company.

And based on what you have had to put up with, the machine would have been returned. There is no excuse for them not fixing the issues.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by LFD1MICHAEL View Post
    Who is the manu. ??

Who is the BS'in dealer??

We want names!!

What up Shawn, long time no see

Limpin along through life. Long time no see to you too. Hows life below the hill treating ya?
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Sounds to me like this is an installer issue. Who built the truck? Call the salesman up first thing tomorrow and tell him he better communicate with the factory or you'll have your town's solicitor do the communicating for you.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I have had dealings with a most manufacturers in the U.S., and found most of them very helpful and easy to deal with, especially the major ones. ( Mako, Bauer, Eagle, etc) On the other hand, there are some real questional dealerships out there. Getting complaints from the end-user is the only way the manufacturers can police their own ranks and take action against these sub-standard outfits. In a competitive market, they can't afford dissatisfied customers. Call your manufacturer and complain - loudly. The squeeky wheel gets the grease.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MEAN15 View Post
    I have had dealings with a most manufacturers in the U.S., and found most of them very helpful and easy to deal with, especially the major ones. ( Mako, Bauer, Eagle, etc) On the other hand, there are some real questional dealerships out there. Getting complaints from the end-user is the only way the manufacturers can police their own ranks and take action against these sub-standard outfits. In a competitive market, they can't afford dissatisfied customers. Call your manufacturer and complain - loudly. The squeeky wheel gets the grease.
    I got to thinking about that just today. Is it a dealer/install issue or a manufacturer. If it's the prior, go above their head to the manufacturer. I doubt any reputable manufacturer wants to have their reputation blemished by some POS dealer.

Thread Information