Thread: Ski Season

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ski Season

Does anyone have any traditions that mark the official start of the ski season?

Each year, there is one event... and only one... that signifies the official start of ski season for me and my friends... the annual Warren Miller Film. Every year we make our annual "Mecca" to the Paramount to have some drinks, get rowdy and watch the magical WM moments caught on film.

Last year, I missed getting seats for the Friday and Saturday shows because I didn;t know that they were on sale. I won't let that happen again!!! This year, I've been checking the WM website daily, and tickets are starting to go on sale already. This year's movie looks great. It's called "Playground", and should be the best WM film yet. Check out www.warrenmiller.com for more info.

For all of the Denver fans... tickets to the Paramount go on sale Saturday 9/15. Tix include a free pass to Copper, a pass to Winter Park/Mary Jane, one to Steamboat, and more. I can't wait!!!
    "...there isn't a firefighter in the free world who is forced to join this profession." -John Norman

MembersZone Subscriber

Ski Season,

What would I know about that?

My personal "Seven Steps to a Succesful Ski Season."

1. Play your last round of Golf, Bike, Hike, Camp, Play Tennis, or whatever else you have to do to get summer out of your system. If you complain about the "cold" even once after September 15th, your friends have the right to fill your bed/locker/car with ice cubes (with you in it of course ).

2. Cash your paycheck, and buy every single new ski/board mag on the shelf. Read voraciously, and rip out the best shots for the fridge or your school/work locker. Carry one with you everywhere (even in your briefcase) until the snow falls.

3. Hit the ski swap, and buy some rock boards and a neon 90's jacket for early season. Points for retro straight sticks (and being able to ski them too ).

4. Road trip to see the new Warren Miller flick, or a Snowboard movie. If you can't make a trip, rent Blizzard of Ahhs, and watch it three times in a row. Say "I'm Gren Phrake" three times fast, and jump off the shed roof into a pile of shredded ice cubes.

5. Speed test your new helmet and goggles by mounting your skis in your roof rack and... (No don't do that, really ).

6. Throw an Ullr party to get the snow falling. Take a few old skis and get a good bonfire going. Dance around said fire spilling copious amounts of alcohol in and around the pit (and in your mouth of course ).

AND LUCKY STEP NUMBER SEVEN:

7. If the party was half assed decent you will sleep late the next morning, only to realize you missed the first huge dump of the season. After awakening your other drunken buddies with a loud succession of expletives, grab your rock boards and go ski something.

Lather, Rinse, REPEAT!
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Was hoping to get one last kayak trip in but I guess not. . . OK, bring on the powder.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    Was hoping to get one last kayak trip in but I guess not. . . OK, bring on the powder.
    In Jersey, you may still have some time to hit the water... we'll be skiing in less than a month in Colorado.
    "...there isn't a firefighter in the free world who is forced to join this profession." -John Norman

Forum Member

deleteddeleted
    Last edited by charlie82; 09-16-2007 at 06:30 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Another 10 degree drop in temp and Mammoth Mountain California can start making snow
    Slop sink, Flags and pump 150
    Getting there is half the fun

Forum Member

We ski all year round down here...Oh, you mean snow skiing...
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Stock up on pain killers, ace bandage, and ice packs..... for myself.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Our only traditions are watching for our daughter's NHARA and USSA packets in the mail. This is the first year we're watching for two packets. Our little girl is going to ski club this year. She's so sick. Then their ski club packet and the ski club sale first weekend of November. By then, it's cold and they are usually making snow so the whales are sitting on the hill.
    Then, make sure the horse is somewhere with an indoor arena and watch the Gunstock website for when the hill opens. Oh, and dryland training. I always hated it. LOL!

Not to change the topic but I ski and snowboard. I learned to ski on straight skis. I tried the shape skis and hated them. I bought a pair of K2 fours from about ten years ago (still in plastic! YES! LOL!) a couple years ago. My in-laws and hubby like the shape skis but I feel like I don't have to do a bloody thing with them. Same with my snowboard. I have the same board from ten years ago because I can't find any just like it. A big red race board, super stiff, just a fun board. I like to work when I ride or ski. I've found newer boards I've ridden are super soft. I end up going over the nose. Or they are super squirrelly.
    So, my questions: Do you prefer the older straight skis or the newer shape skis? And, for the snowboarders, do you prefer the new boards or the older boards?

MembersZone Subscriber

www.bomberonline.com try it you'll like it.
    Gravity, not just a good idea....
    Its THE LAW!

Sanity is not statistical.

Thread Information