Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber SFDredhat126's Avatar

Default Collinsville FD testing soon

Collinsville's city council is expected to approve the creation of five new positions in a meeting tonight. Since the current hiring list has just one candidate on it, the Police & Fire Board is expected to decide to start the process of creating a new list, beginning with their meeting on Sept. 18. They hope to be able to arrange the written test to take place in mid-to-late October.

Our chief's position is now open, so if they promote from within, we could hire SIX in the coming months.

Paramedic license will be required.

I will post more information as it comes my way. I just wanted to get the early word out there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Question

Do you have to have a Medic license in hand or will they let you test if your in medic class?

Quote Originally Posted by jake2415 View Post
    Do you have to have a Medic license in hand or will they let you test if your in medic class?
    You had to be licensed to take the last test, but I'm not 100% sure if they will do that again. I'll let you know when they decide.

Forum Member

Hey hows it goin?

Did the council approve the 5 new slots?

Is this from SAFER?

Get rid of that medic to test req. and Im in. I know Granite has this too (got to have a medic lic. and live there).

What about residency?

What is your current staffing and duty schedule and with the 5 new slots what would the staffing table look like?

Is Collinsville testing again with Eville or will this test be just Collinsville?

Lots of questions; Im POC at Godfrey Fire and don't hear much about Collinsville.

Yeah I know, I'd be there if it wasn't for that medic lisence thing. I'm working on that though, or will be next winter.

Quote Originally Posted by GFPD2005 View Post
    Did the council approve the 5 new slots?

Is this from SAFER?

Get rid of that medic to test req. and Im in. I know Granite has this too (got to have a medic lic. and live there).

What about residency?

What is your current staffing and duty schedule and with the 5 new slots what would the staffing table look like?

Is Collinsville testing again with Eville or will this test be just Collinsville?

Lots of questions; Im POC at Godfrey Fire and don't hear much about Collinsville.
    The council did approve the five new positions.

It is NOT from SAFER, although we also have submitted a SAFER application, which could lead to more positions.

Must live in the fire district (we cover some areas outside of the city limits).

Current staffing: 7 per shift/6 minimum, will become 8/6 min.

The next test will be only for Collinsville; Edwardsville is not included in this one.

Sorry about the medic requirement, but that's what the city officials now demand. They say it simply became too costly to send the guys through class.

I haven't heard any details, but one of our guys heard that the applications will become available in mid-October. I will post when I found out more......

Default Update

I admit that my initial post turned out to be a little premature, but here's the lastest:

Collinsville FD has exhausted its current eligibility list, as the last person on it will start the first week of January. The latest info I have is that the Board of Police and Fire Commissioners will begin the testing process in late January.

I will post more info as I get it. The city's tentative plan is still to add the new positions on or around May 1.

If you or someone you know may be interested, you can contact the Asst. City Manager at (618) 346-5200 ext 135.

I was told that the written exam will be February 1 at 1830 hrs at the Gateway Center. That's all I know at this time.

I would suggest calling the number I posted above if you are interested.

Default Applications are now available

The applications are now available. Here is the cover page of the app:

The city of Collinsville, Illinois is now accepting applications to establish Eligibility Hiring registers for the position of Firefighter/Paramedic. Excellent annual starting salary. Complete medical, life insurance and retirement programs are furnished.

Selection Requirements:
    • Be a US citizen
    • Possess a high school diploma or equivalent
    • Be at least 21 years and less than 35 years of age. Applicants 20 years of age may apply provided they have successfully completed two years of fire-service related studies at an accredited college or university
    • Paramedic certification is mandatory at time of testing.
    • Submit to rigid agility and physical testing, extensive written examination and an in-depth character background check, medical screening and psychological investigation.

To Apply:

Application packets may be obtained at either the Collinsville City Hall, 125 South Center Street, Collinsville, or at the Collinsville Fire Department, 130 South Clinton Street, Collinsville.

In order to be considered for Eligibility Testing, applications must be received by mail or in person before 5:00 pm, Friday, January 18, 2008 at either location. Mandatory orientation and written testing will be conducted Friday, February 1, 2008 at the Collinsville Gateway Convention Center, 1 Gateway Drive, Collinsville, IL,, beginning at 6:30 pm. EOE
    -If you call (618) 346-5022, ext 2, you may be able to have an application mailed to you if you live too far away to pick up an app in person. They have done this in the past.
    -If anyone has any questions, post them and I will answer ASAP. Don't hesitate to send me a PM if you'd like.
    -I've looked at the application, and it's 12 pages long. Don't hesitate if you plan to apply, since the application deadline is on the 18th.
    -A minimum of five hires are planned to come of this list in the next few months.
    Last edited by SFDredhat126; 01-06-2008 at 11:42 PM.

Default Residency?

Are you sure about the residency requirement? I heard a rumor that you could live in Madison or St. Clair Co after your employment. More details would be greatly appreciated!

Default ?

I don't know if my last reply went through. Are you sure about the residency requirements? I heard you could live in Madison or St. Clair Co. Any more info would help! Thanks

Thumbs up Again

I'm new here, but my replies are slow to post so I'm gonna try it again. Are you sure about the residency rule?

I've been checking here about once a day and did not see these questions earlier. But the residency requirement currently is within the fire district, which is all the city limits and some small areas just outside the limits.

Thread Information