Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default The Anger Never Dies

I know that a few of you don't like him, but this Op-Ed was in today's Daily News. It is written by Dennis Smith. It is a timely and thought-provoking piece.

The anger never dies...
    By DENNIS SMITH

Monday, September 10th 2007, 4:00 AM

Six joyful summers and six hopeful springs have passed since so many good people were slaughtered by Islamist radicals in 2001. When I think of the summer games played by the victims' children and the annual spring rituals of their widows and widowers, I take some satisfaction in our human capacity to take life by the hand and go forward.

But I also cannot forget the agony of that day and the profound pain we the living endured as we attended the funerals and comforted the survivors. Indeed, my anger, our anger, is not only a memory. It is a living, breathing, seething thing.

Six years ago tomorrow, we found out there were hundreds of thousands, perhaps more than a million, radical Islamists bound by a pathetic ideology and determined to have as many of us killed as possible. Nineteen of them made it to our shores, in the worst way imaginable. I lost 343 Fire Department brothers.

Now, my unrelenting anger surprises me. I was never an Ivy-League English professor type, a romantic who thought the world to be inhabited by people who want to get along. I am a fireman from the South Bronx. I have always been a realist. I have witnessed many terrible things in my time. I have been shot at and stoned.

Yet all these years later, I find I am still angry. I'm still surprised. I try, to whatever extent possible, to channel that anger into positive passions. But physically and psychologically, my life has changed.

And there are many like me. My friend and fellow FDNY veteran Lee Ielpi and I worked so many days together on The Pile. We have both kept busy since and, at least outwardly, succeeded. We have tried hard to show them - the terrorists - that they haven't cut deep enough to bring us down.

In fact, despite struggling with a serious medical challenge directly related to 9/11, Lee remains perfectly committed to honoring the memory of his son Jonathan, who was found 93 days after 9/11, directly in line with where the south tower stairs had been.

I, too, have endured the most painful throat radiation possible due to the poisonous air I breathed at Ground Zero, particularly on that first day. But what's done is done. The air came with the territory. They, the terrorists, made us breathe it.

Yet that is only one of the reasons I am filled with rage. I cannot put to rest the questions that pulse relentlessly through my bloodstream.

Why, for starters, do we plop down millions of dollars to see movies featuring Hollywood stars who travel the globe undermining the interests of our State Department and our nation? And, why does our culture publicize Lindsay Lohan's petty addictions with as much passion as it does Osama Bin Laden's murderous intentions?

What have we really learned from the Islamist bombings in Spain and England, and the recent arrests of Islamist terrorists in England and, just a week ago, in Germany? I want answers.

Why do we still let hundreds of unaccounted for strangers enter our country illegally every day, and why do we continue to appoint political hacks to vital positions in our offices of emergency preparedness and homeland security organizations? And why are the many good and honest Muslims in our country letting thugs and killers usurp and stain their religion before their very eyes?

The crack in our Liberty Bell in Philadelphia symbolizes how fragile our democracy can be. And we have far too many political leaders who mistake boasting for bravery.

The future safety of the United States is undeniably tied to the defeat of radical Islam, a corrosive ideology that knows no borders and has no morals.

Yet our own senators want to give sustenance to our terrorist enemies by pulling unceremoniously out of Iraq. Our own senators, evidently, do not know the lesson of the Liberty Bell.

I am angry. Are you?

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

Never forgive, never forget. God Bless the 343.

there is a very simple answer to that....

Because human's will never be able to get along with one another. And because of that, you will have the Castro and the Kennedy, the Hitler and the Churchill, the Huttu and the Tutsi, the Kim Jhong Ill's of the world, the Hugo Chavez's of the world, and the Bin Laden vs America.

You wipe out one evil and an even more sinister one comes in behind it. After Hitler there was Stalin. After Stalin there was Pol Pot and Mao. Following them came the Muslim extremists. When they are gone, another evil will soon follow.

We are evil in their eyes and they are evil in our eyes. And while they are fighting us, we are fighting ourselves. We cant even make up our minds on how to provide health care for our citizens, let alone protect our borders. We cant even decide how to help the thousands of 9/11 workers who are now getting sick. So, with that being said, tomorrow is a day of remembrance. Many lost their lives while trying to save others and that is the ultimate sacrifice.
    Last edited by JHR1985; 09-11-2007 at 11:41 AM.

if you are angry,you are alive.that is just a human feeling,and it "helps" some people to live.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

MSNBC ran the coverage from 6 years ago this morning. The same NBC coverage we watched from our firehouse that terrible day. The anger and sadness is still there. I will never forgive and I certainly will never forget.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Not sure that I can call it anger. I'd say that after six years all of the initial anger has evolved into pure frustration. There's just still that lingering feeling that they (the bad guys) got away with it. Our generation's "Sleeping Giant" seems to have narcolepsy.

In the mean time, I saw on CNN today that Castro tried to re-open the conspiracy debate about the Pentagon not actually having been hit by a hijacked airliner. I'm about ready for him to die of old age but he just keeps on living the retired life of an oppressive dictator. Not that anyone with any sense will take him seriously, like Hugo Chavez, or Danny Glover.
    "Yeah, but as I've always said, this country has A.D.D." - Denis Leary

http://www.lettertogop.com/

MembersZone Subscriber tomlaumann's Avatar

Default It makes us stronger

All through my life I faced my personal issues, lossing a job, lost of freinds and family, and I made it through stronger. I can't remember who said to me first "If it doesn't kill you, it will make you stronger". 9/11 made all of us stronger. Now after 6 years some have forgot, I never will. We need to make sure our children and grandchildren are told the truth about 9/11 and the brave men and women who gave some or gave it all that day.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I have been watching some of the shows about 9/11 and the same emtions still flood in, disbelief, horror, sadness and then anger and the need for retirbution.

Still angry? You bet. But I will join in with I feel frustration that this entire issue has beconme another of the idiotic political games our politicians play. Find the terrorists and kill them. It seems so simple...until all the nonsense of politics gets in the way.

Forum Member

I still can't watch video of the towers burning and collapsing without getting so mad I have to leave the room.
    What I don't understand is why people are moving on from how angry they were when they heard the planes that hit the buildings had been hijacked and intentionally flown into them.
    How is it that people can just move away from such things and start to act like it never happened?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    I still can't watch video of the towers burning and collapsing without getting so mad I have to leave the room.
    What I don't understand is why people are moving on from how angry they were when they heard the planes that hit the buildings had been hijacked and intentionally flown into them.
    How is it that people can just move away from such things and start to act like it never happened?
    I feel the same way. If it wasn't for the pain that it would give the families of those lost, I would say show the videos every day.

Time heals all wounds, it is said, but it eases the pain, and never takes it away. As for "moving away", while never forgetting the event or those lost, we still have to pick ourselves up by our bootstraps and keep on keepin on.

How many of us watched a loved one die of cancer, who smoked when it was socially acceptable, and heard survivors then say they would quit smoking, but shortly thereafter light up again?

I know that situation is totally different from 9/11, but it is, in a way, moving on. Human nature.

Where I agree with your statement, its the politicians, who we elect to run our government effectively (yea, ok), and ensures the military defends us, are dropping the ball. They are afraid of upsetting the PC cart. They can't or won't make English the national language, deport illegals, or seal the borders.Yet because of PC, we hear and kowtow to organizations like CAIR, who tried to demand the names of those who reported the 6 muslim "holy men" who acted erratically and made similar requests that were made 9/11.

While there may be muslims who are not terrorists, their silence as a whole has been deafening since 9/11. When they were dancing in the streets of THIS country 9/11/01, showed me and many other what they thought of this country. Add the Lancaster, NY 6, Jose Padilla, Richard Reid, the Ft. Dix 6, the plot to take down the Sears tower, and the plot to repeat 9/11 on the west coast all had one thing in common... muslim. So forgive me if reading about these incidents, the attacks, and my many days at the WTC recovering victims remains doesn't make me PC when I say or hear; "Everything I need to know about Islam, I learned 9/11/01."

I read somewhere that Ted Kennedy's driving skills killed more people than the camps at Abu Gharib and Gitmo. Yet we released known terrorists who have vowed to destroy us under the "I won't do it again" program, yet we have recaptured them for fighting and killing our soldiers again. They should have been shot on sight when identified, no questions asked. And we kissed their asses when the pics of the soldiers walking them on a leash were released.

These same terrorists and there supporters demanded action, yet were silent when American soldiers and contractors bodies are hung off bridges, or mutilated and show on TV. Very silent when kidnapped people are beheaded and shown on al-jazeera. But we have to let them take pictures with their bedsheets on for DMV pics, and this "religious protection" let a wanted terrorist escape Britain disguised as a female.

With the Geneva convention, we are fighting a group who does not respect this agreement. IMO, all bets should be off. Start dipping bullets in pig blood, Spam or anything pork, and fire away. Take the Koran away and burn it in front of them. Many of their claims at Gitmo were unfounded, so give it back. With reports of OUR soldiers having human waste thrown at them, well time to throw a nice Smith Premium ham right back at ya.

We can agree to disagree on the Iraq/Afghanistan situation. While I do believe there are sleeper cells here, with the above incidents to prove it, if we were not fighting them there in those 2 places, we would be fighting them here. Our in house bickering is one thing they use to their advantage.

Nancy Pelosi's trip to Syria undermined American Foreign Policy, whether you agree with it or not. Syria is a known terrorist sympathizer, and her going there to do any negotiations would have been like Sam Rayburn going to Paris and negotiating with the Vichy French. TREASONOUS, nothing more, nothing less. And an embarrassment to this government and Country, whether you care for the President or not.

Hopefully we will be out of those countries soon, and our troops make it home. Like firefighting, war is Hell and casualties and fatalities are expected. I wonder what the anti-war pacifists would have said when over 8,000 servicemen were killed in 36 days at Iwo Jima. "The Greatest Generation" did not forget Pearl Harbor, and let the military do what it had to do.

Dresden, Hamburg, Berlin, Tokyo and other cities were incinerated during WWII, with tons of incidiary devices dropped. Time to silence the pacifiers and do the same to the insurgent cities as well. And maybe take a few fire retardant planes and crop dusters, load them with pig blood, and drop a nice mist over them too. Since they can't go to "Heaven" and get those 72 virgins after touching a pig, they can't be heroes with suicide bombs.

Fight fire with fire. In more ways than one. Let the troops do their job. Time to show the world the "sleeping giant" is not a "paper tiger."

God Bless America, God Bless our troops. Never forget 9/11, but never forgive.

I think the anger will only die when it is allowed to. Pardon me for my cynicism, but I feel it is deplorable that the media is still living and thriving off of this. Off of the suffering and deaths of thousands of people, heroes and average joes made into heroes by their actions of that day.
    I am angry that this happened and was allowed to happen. But am I angry at an entire nation? No. I am angry at the radicals and the regimes that allowed this to happen and then covered up any knowledge of possible attacks.

You know what I do on 9/11? I shed a tear for the children who are living each day without a parent, the parents who are living each day without a child and say a prayer for those who exploiting them and hope they see the error of their ways. I also think of those who put all else aside and acted in heroism that may have even surprised themselves. The group on Flight 93 who did all the could to at least save the lives of many on the ground. I think of those poor people who knew of their impending doom and were helpless to stop it. And I think of those who rushed in, helped who they could, said prayers, carried the injured and returned day after day to search for survivors and then eventually search for anything to give the families.

I still say a prayer, and not only once a year, for those who are still suffering physically and emotionally from what they experienced that day and for the rest of us who support, sympathize and empathize.

I choose empathy over anger any day. And I agree, with the extinguishment of one evil, another comes forward to claim the spot. It's cyclical, there's always a group that is exploited or used and comes to exact revenge (whether it be real or perceived). The anger will never go away, I just hope people put it to good use and not more violence and hatrid.
    Vita brevis; terra larga.

Forum Member

The media doesn't thrive off of anything but keeping Americans distracted. My neighbor told me when I got in this afternoon that ten terrorists were arrested in Peru trying to board a flight to Los Angeles. I thought I might check it out on one of the three major news networks, and NOT ONE has anything on the story (at least none that were airing on TV). Want to know what was really important? OJ Simpson is making an *** of himself again and Congressman Craig's bathroom is now a tourist attraction. I guess we won't wake up until we're attacked again, and then our leaders will be too busy pointing fingers at anyone other than themselves, and Apple will have made I-Brain, the computer chip that directly embeds into your skull and provides hours of imaginary wonderful escape for the low, low price of your soul.

We need more yellow journalism. We need to be hearing everyday about what's really going on in the Middle East. What's the situation in Afghanistan? Does anyone have any good news from Afghanistan? Even any bad news? Stories about how our troops are carrying out missions successfully or failing and yet bouncing right back up should be headlines, not tickers at the bottom of the screen right before a cut to commercial.

Want to know why we won WW2? Aside from the obvious sacrifices of millions of brave young men, there were news reels on the evening radio broadcast. Families gathered around the radio after a hard day's work on the farm to see how their boys did in Sicily. There wasn't any of this Britney Spears bull crap. The fact that such stories get airtime when so many more important events occur during this, whatever the hell we should call it, anti-terror retaliatory conflict, just shows what is considered more important. Maybe we should reinstate the draft, maybe things would hit a little more close to home for some people. Maybe we could then actually take up an interest in what is happening around us. I'm not excluding myself from falling prey to this misfortunate condition. I can't give the name of one currently serving member of the Armed Forces to save my life, yet in the Summer of 1944 nearly every household in the United States knew of someone who was fighting overseas. Maybe we just haven't found the right leaders to get us through these times, to keep us focused, to drum up the morale and give truly encouraging speeches that last more than a pee break. I'd vote for any one of the passengers of flight 93 for President of the United States if they were still alive, but I seriously doubt they'd want that demotion.
    Last edited by GodSendRain; 09-17-2007 at 09:45 PM.
    "Yeah, but as I've always said, this country has A.D.D." - Denis Leary

http://www.lettertogop.com/

Thread Information