Default english reeve alternatives

In my area we usually use an english reeve setup in our highline operations and I was just wondering what all alternatives were in use elsewhere.

Thanks!

Forum Member

Default belay?

I was looking at an english reeve diagram online as I have never seen or used one, seems like a good set up, the one concern I would have is there is no belay line to the Pt./tender package so if you would have a failure (which I know is very unlikely) there is no system redundancy

Forum Member

Your belay for the attendant is in the form of the two prussiks on the pulley attached to the attendant. If any parts of that vertical control assembly fail, the prussik will catch.

Forum Member

Default Safety

Well I can see how that would work if the line broke between the anchor and the carriage pulley, however if you would have a line failure (which again I know is highly unlikely) between the prusiks mounted on the 2:1 pulley which was stated would catch the load, then your tender and Pt. would slide right off the end of the rope, if this is incorrect let me know again I've never used this system before but that seems how it would work, and I'm certainly up for trying a new system out

Forum Member

It seems many fire rescue departments use a norwegian reeve. The difference between it and the english is that the lowering MA is only operated from one side.
    Last edited by jmatthe2; 09-20-2007 at 09:29 PM.

Forum Member

I thought the benefit of the English Reeve was that the vertical control line did not have to be attended to (other than the attendant prussiks) while moving horizontally. It could essentially be locked off until needed for vertical movement.

Forum Member

Here is a picture of how we set ours up. We use a haul/lower line to both sides independently for horizontal movement. I know that some teams will use on continuous rope for the same thing. The red line in the picture is the reeve line. If necessary you can run the reeve from either side. A norwegian reeve dead ends into the carriage on one side.

http://www.hasrt.com/SNV30591.JPG
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Default Our normal setup

Normally we use the traditional english reeve setup since it allows us to perform a lower and raise from either side. Most of the time we try to set up our lowering team on one side and the raising team on the other side. It requires a good bit of rope since it is payed out for the lower on one side and then taken back up by the haul on the other side.

That is the primary reason I am looking for alternatives.

Thanks for the responses!

Thread Information