Default What Do i Do Guys?

Hey guys, i'm 17 years old. I'm about to graduate high school, and my dream career ever since i was about 15 was to become a firefighter, the problem is i have NO clue what i need to know to become one. What kind of certificates do i need...to even THINK of starting to become a firefighter? I have been running, lifting weights 5 times a weeks so I am o.k in the agility and strength part, but i know it's not just about that, so i'm in need of some knowledge. The way i think i'm going to become a fire fighter is, Take a basic knowledge test, get in the top 20 and then pass a physical and agilty test then..i got the job, but from reading alot of posts it seems alot more dificult and i would just like the jump on things so i can get started with what i need to join this career right away, please help me with ANYTHING you think i need to know. BTW i don't know if it helps but i plan to be a firefighter somewhere in fort worth TX.

THANKS freddy

Forum Member

Find out if local collages offer EMT course that is one certificate you need. Then once you have gratuated that you should go onto firefighter 1 and 2. then apply.

Forum Member

Default What you CAN do

hey how's it going, well first of all its a long road to become a firefighter for a career... i would recomend some sort of college... Fire science degree is a good place to start then take your emt and if you get peramedic you can pretty much right your own ticket atleast thats the way up here in maine, are you on a voly department?? cause thats a good place to start to to get sertified Interior firefighter which youll need for career firefighting. up hear in maine they offer fire attack schools were you can take class' like advanced fire attack, street smart ladders. i myself started out as a junior firefighter on my home town department at the age of 16 did that till i was 18 when i first took my EMT basic class i then attended college for fire science and got a 2 year associates and at the age of 20 i had my Firefighter 1 and 2 certificats. soo i hope this gives you something towork for its a long road a head of you. im currentlly 21 and have a fulltime job at a big plant as a full time firefighter/emt/security officer and loveing it. so work hard and someday you'll get their, but dont expect it all to happen over night either you got your whole life ahead of you

Forum Member

First, I'd start by contacting locals FDs to see if any has a Junior or Explorer program. It's a great place to start and get your feet wet. I'd do the Fire Science degree... Most colleges include the EMT-B in the degree. Getting your Fire Science degree and your Paramedic will increase your chances of being hired.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

One tip that I know of: I don't know about the DFW area but Houston requires that you have 60 hours of college or 2 years in the millitary, just something to think about.
    I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. ~Edward F. Croker

IACOJ
    Jake

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1050major View Post
    One tip that I know of: I don't know about the DFW area but Houston requires that you have 60 hours of college or 2 years in the millitary, just something to think about.
    Good call. I heard of this before... maybe my fire instructor.

Freddy, it would do you best to contact the FD of your choice and find out their hiring requirements. That would be a good start.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Default thanks

thanks guys, i really appreciate your replies. helping me get where i want to go, is something im very thankful for thanks again!! I think i will locate a FD and ask for the requirments, thanks guys again very much!

Forum Member

Emt course, fire science, firefighter 1 and maybe firefighter 2 and a paramedic class if you want to be one. You sould join a rescue scaud or a volenteer department first, while you get some courses. Where do you want to work?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by explorer478 View Post
    Emt course, fire science, firefighter 1 and maybe firefighter 2 and a paramedic class if you want to be one. You sould join a rescue scaud or a volenteer department first, while you get some courses. Where do you want to work?
    478- Take the following advice as you will. If you don't care... carry on.
    Correct spelling (and grammar) make you look more professional and mature. FH isn't AIM or Yahoo!. Try using Firefox or downloading the spell checker.
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    478- Take the following advice as you will. If you don't care... carry on.
    Correct spelling (and grammar) make you look more professional and mature. FH isn't AIM or Yahoo!. Try using Firefox or downloading the spell checker.
    Gah, you beat me on the Firefox this time!
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KEEPBACK200FEET View Post
    Gah, you beat me on the Firefox this time!
    I'll stop saying Firefox then... I'll leave it to you...
    When you brought it up last time, I thought you were meaning to tell me to I should have said it also...
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

Haha, no problem Bro. We could both say it from now on for emphasis.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KEEPBACK200FEET View Post
    Haha, no problem Bro. We could both say it from now on for emphasis.
    Ok... good deal.
    Firefighter/EMT

Thread Information