Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 61 FirstFirst ... 789101112132060 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

Forum Member

congrats eyeateus!!! super happy for you. you def earned that spot in the tower. hopefully soon we will all be getting the calls like you did. go have a beer tonight in celebration!!!

Forum Member

Default time line

Eyeateus, congrats on getting the call! you can finally breathe a little easy...at least until drill tower starts! how long did it take for you to get the final word back after your med? what was the date of your med and what was the official date of the phone call saying you are in the next drill tower?

once again, great job and congrats!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by millertime130 View Post
    Eyeateus, congrats on getting the call! you can finally breathe a little easy...at least until drill tower starts! how long did it take for you to get the final word back after your med? what was the date of your med and what was the official date of the phone call saying you are in the next drill tower?

once again, great job and congrats!
    Thanks! Let's see...I took my med/psych exam on Sep. 10th and received a letter stating I passed on Sep. 29th. Then received a call from fire personnel on Oct. 10th with the actual job offer and drill tower date. Hope that helps!

Default Drill Towers?

Where are the drill towers now? I heard that they closed the Hotchkins center and San Pedro Tower. Anybody with any word?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by llim562 View Post
    Where are the drill towers now? I heard that they closed the Hotchkins center and San Pedro Tower. Anybody with any word?
    The San Pedro tower is still there. The other tower is at 81's in Panorama City.

MembersZone Subscriber

Is it true that LAFD gives you a polygraph exam as part of the hiring process? If anyone knows for sure, please reply.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sacrifice2008 View Post
    Is it true that LAFD gives you a polygraph exam as part of the hiring process? If anyone knows for sure, please reply.
    It is la city fire; they can do whatever they want. It is not standard for every applicant to get polygraphed, but it can happen if they feel you are being deceptive. If you read this entire thread you will learn a lot about the hiring process. Hope that helps.

Forum Member

Well, I just received the official call today as well. Academy starts 1st of Dec @ Tower 81. It's crazy to think back of all the sacrifices taken to get here. All of them worth it in the end.

For all those in Final Panel for the Dec. Academy, let's keep in touch.

Forum Member

Congrats emmex. Awesome news.

Forum Member

Default medical

to all the guys who have completed the medical,

I have my medical in a couple days and was wondering if you could fill me in on what to expect. what was your experience? was it difficult, easy, relaxed? does it really take 5hrs to complete? I think I have a small idea of what to expect, but just curious...

Thanks

Forum Member

Congrats everyone.
    Last edited by Coastalwarvet; 11-24-2008 at 02:47 AM.

Forum Member

I pretty much got hired.. I'm taking the written tomorrow

(joke)

Good times, and congrats to all those who are nearing the end!

Forum Member

to all the guys who have completed the medical,

I have my medical in a couple days and was wondering if you could fill me in on what to expect. what was your experience? was it difficult, easy, relaxed? does it really take 5hrs to complete? I think I have a small idea of what to expect, but just curious...

Thanks
    It's not really a matter of hard or easy. The medical is just a routine medical - blood work, urine, hearing, vision, and a physician checks you out. The long part is the psych exam. Expect to be there at least 6 hours. But it looks like you are on your way...good job and hopefully, we'll see you at orientation.

Forum Member

Hey guys, congrats to all of you, I just went in for my background last thursday. So even if everything works great, i still wont make it to the dec1 drill tower, but maybe to the next one.
    My question is, does anybody have a rough figure on average percentage of applicats failing backgrounds? The reason why I am asking is , I know that LAFD is hiring about 250 applicants per year, however I had a background interview on september 18th, that I had to reschedule for october 16 th. I had it done at 11.30, a friend of mine went in at 8.30 am. There were about 40 people at the personell building, which tells me there was at least 160 applicants just on sep 18 and oct 18 backgroudn dates. The number maybe greater if they are holding background interviews more than once a month.
    I may be reading too much in to this but to me it seems like there is alot of people in the process right now.

Forum Member

mmawonder,

sounds to me like you just completed your intial background check where you go in and fill out a packet and have a detective go over everything with you. i'm not too sure about the percentage of getting thru from this point, but i think throughout the process there are two times where you are faced with being in the "hot seat".

the first is the interview, you must get a high score or thats it. and the second where you are at now. you answser a bunch of questions relating to your character and past and then everything from your interview score to the paper work you filled out gets evaluated. including your past experience/achievements (did you finish high school, do you have a college degree) they look at all that and then select people to go on to the field investigation. if you get selected to go into the field invest you are situated good i think, because you've impressed them, they like what they see on paper, now they wanna verify what you've told them to make sure it all checks out...i'm not sure if i'm right or wrong about this, but thats what i think, and really, i guess until you get that final call telling you your start date, you can never really relax. i know that its a really nerve racking experience because each step could bring bad news,but hang in there and all your hard work will pay off. good luck

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mmawonder View Post
    Hey guys, congrats to all of you, I just went in for my background last thursday. So even if everything works great, i still wont make it to the dec1 drill tower, but maybe to the next one.
    My question is, does anybody have a rough figure on average percentage of applicats failing backgrounds? The reason why I am asking is , I know that LAFD is hiring about 250 applicants per year, however I had a background interview on september 18th, that I had to reschedule for october 16 th. I had it done at 11.30, a friend of mine went in at 8.30 am. There were about 40 people at the personell building, which tells me there was at least 160 applicants just on sep 18 and oct 18 backgroudn dates. The number maybe greater if they are holding background interviews more than once a month.
    I may be reading too much in to this but to me it seems like there is alot of people in the process right now.
    Ok there are 2 parts to the background. The first part is the initial background investigation that can take up to 4 hours. Once you are finished with that day.. every applicant's background packet gets sent to the initial panel review for qualification review. In this process is where most applicants get turned away. They can't process everyone into field investigations and only select a certain percentage to move on. I don't know what that percentage is, and I imagine it is a dynamic number everytime as well. Even if you have an extremely clean background.. the panel is also looking at how well you will be an attribute to the department. If you have an extremely clean background, that comes into your favor pending you pass the initial panel review (selected to move onto field investigations).
    Also, realize that everyone in the personnel building taking tests aren't just for fire. The building is for LA City employees as a whole. The other day I was there and everyone in there was for LAPD. So you never know. Anyways, good luck to you in your process.. its a very long road still.

Forum Member

Thumbs up finished

well, i just got home from the last step, the medical. wow, what a long morning! was pretty normal medical, but at the end with all those questions, wow, my head is sore. i'm pretty sure all went ok, keeping my fingers crossed that i get the call soon. thanks to everyone who's helped me out thru this process from this website and if anybody has any questions just ask away. i'd be more than happy to try and help. as for the guys who have already got the call, when is orientation and once you get the final call is there anything else that we need to do? hopefully i'll see you there...

Forum Member

millertime. i tried sending a pm, but it is disabled on your account. congrats on reaching the final lap of the race. ill keep my fingers crossed.

Forum Member

mmawonder,

sounds to me like you just completed your intial background check where you go in and fill out a packet and have a detective go over everything with you. i'm not too sure about the percentage of getting thru from this point, but i think throughout the process there are two times where you are faced with being in the "hot seat".

the first is the interview, you must get a high score or thats it. and the second where you are at now. you answser a bunch of questions relating to your character and past and then everything from your interview score to the paper work you filled out gets evaluated. including your past experience/achievements (did you finish high school, do you have a college degree) they look at all that and then select people to go on to the field investigation. if you get selected to go into the field invest you are situated good i think, because you've impressed them, they like what they see on paper, now they wanna verify what you've told them to make sure it all checks out...i'm not sure if i'm right or wrong about this, but thats what i think, and really, i guess until you get that final call telling you your start date, you can never really relax. i know that its a really nerve racking experience because each step could bring bad news,but hang in there and all your hard work will pay off. good luck
    Thanks for the insight. I am actually at the background interview portion in a couple weeks. Any info on that, like what to expect that day and what I should be looking for after that? Thanks

Forum Member

well, i just got home from the last step, the medical. wow, what a long morning! was pretty normal medical, but at the end with all those questions, wow, my head is sore. i'm pretty sure all went ok, keeping my fingers crossed that i get the call soon. thanks to everyone who's helped me out thru this process from this website and if anybody has any questions just ask away. i'd be more than happy to try and help. as for the guys who have already got the call, when is orientation and once you get the final call is there anything else that we need to do? hopefully i'll see you there...
    When you get the call, all of those questions will be answered.

Thread Information