Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fmr0311Sgt View Post
    I was with an Anti-Terrorist unit over in Europe and Africa then I was with 2/1 G. Yourself?
    Congrats on getting the call. See you on the 17th.
    I was with 3/1 Weapons. Congrats as well, look forward to meeting everyone.

EYEATUS- I'll be staying in huntington beach so I would definitely be up for carpooling.

Forum Member

Default preparing for the tower

hey guys, well, i thought id get some feed back on my training i've been doing to prepare myself for drill tower. just curious on what everyone else has been doing to keep fit. my week is something like this.

mon: run 3 miles, after run i do push ups sit ups and pull ups.

tues: run 5 miles, stretch

wed: yoga, easy jog

thurs: run 5 miles, push ups, sit ups, pull ups

fri: run 3 miles, stretch

normally i take it easy on the weekend, i rock climb, so i normally go climbing or i might do some more yoga, but thats sorta my training schedule. i do mix beach sprints into my schedule about once a week as well. i used to go to the gym, but have not for quite sometime. not to worried about my strength but, more just focusing on aerobic stuff.

any feed back? whats your training like?

Forum Member

Whats up guys and girls, I am in the the process/initial panel reveiw. I noticed alot of people on here got picked up. I scored a 95 on the oral and was wondering how many people who got hired who scored the same.

Forum Member

hey whats up fellas? i heard from someone that the Dec academy might get pushed back until January since they havent filled all the positions up yet.... have any of the guys that are due to start Dec 1st heard anything about this? This is just what I heard and i just wanted to check if it is a rumor or if it has any validity. have a good weekend everyone

Forum Member

Congrats guys. My brother has been an LA City FF for a few years now and loves it. I just got medical clearance for LA County yesterday so it's game on! Sorry, there's no County thread... haha.

As far as physical prep, I've been doing something very similar to you, millertime130, but I'm spreading the running out a little more and doing more condensed strength training. I've been a runner for years so the cardio isn't my biggest worry. I take a Fire PE class at Mt. Sac every semester. It's two days a week but I sometimes go a third day with another section. On Saturdays, I run either a 5 mile steep trail run or a 10K around Lake Puddingstone and then hit the gym.

I'll probably have to wait until at least Spring for my County Academy so I'll start compressing my workout into the 5-day work week once I quit my current job as that time nears.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bica2422 View Post
    hey whats up fellas? i heard from someone that the Dec academy might get pushed back until January since they havent filled all the positions up yet.... have any of the guys that are due to start Dec 1st heard anything about this? This is just what I heard and i just wanted to check if it is a rumor or if it has any validity. have a good weekend everyone
    Haven't heard anything. I heard a similar thing with July and Sept.'s academy but both started on schedule. I think the people that start those rumors are guys that want to get in and "hope" they get pushed back.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks emmex for the info. I am relatively new to this thread and hiring process and didn't think that people would start rumors like that. Now I know. Take it easy guys. Enjoy the weekend.

Default I'm In

Hey Guys, I got the call about two weeks ago and I'm pumped for Dec. 1. I live out in Santa Clarita so if anyone wants to carpool or go running/hit the weights let me know! All I have heard from anyone is to make sure that you are doing PUSH UPS and PULL UPS. See you guys next week!

Hey everyone....I know we will all talk on family day, but just trying to give a heads up....For our own orientation (18TH)day I was going to see if all of you had black slack bottoms and a white long sleave top...maybe with a tie. I am trying to spread this so we can all be on the same page and look like a team. Also we all need to have the same length in hair. I am keeping my regular hair for family day, but shaving it for the next day. like a 1 or 2....What do you all think? good idea? --mark

Forum Member

Just got the Call I made the December class!! If you guys plan on meeting up let me know.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rugaluga View Post
    Just got the Call I made the December class!! If you guys plan on meeting up let me know.
    Congrats! Hope to be there soon.

Forum Member

congrats rugalugar! you must be stoked...its a good feeling are you going to orientation? if so, see you there!!

congrats again...

Forum Member

Well I have a question to you all that are going to the dec. academy. During your background, did your investigator actually showed up to your work and previous residences and asked people about you etc?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mmawonder View Post
    Well I have a question to you all that are going to the dec. academy. During your background, did your investigator actually showed up to your work and previous residences and asked people about you etc?
    For me, my investigator just called my work, neighbors, family, etc. But my buddy who also got selected for the Dec tower his investigator went to his neighborhood, schools, work, etc. I think each investigator operates differently.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by millertime130 View Post
    congrats rugalugar! you must be stoked...its a good feeling are you going to orientation? if so, see you there!!

congrats again...
    Hey thanks millertime! Big congrats to you as well! Looking foward to meeting you and the rest of the dec class..

Forum Member

my background investigator showed up at my place of employment and spoke to my supervisors as well as came over to where i lived and checked my place out...and spoke to my neighbors. my investigator was really nice. he came around and had a chat with me for about 20min or so, then he knocked on all of my neighbors doors and spoke to everyone...he only asked them a few questions. like, is he a good guy. does he speed down the street, does he get along with all the other neighbors, etc...

Man congrats to all of you, and train hard for that drill tower! Can't wait until i get to start applying in '09.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeatyDH View Post
    Hey Guys, I got the call about two weeks ago and I'm pumped for Dec. 1. I live out in Santa Clarita so if anyone wants to carpool or go running/hit the weights let me know! All I have heard from anyone is to make sure that you are doing PUSH UPS and PULL UPS. See you guys next week!
    Dan that you? This is Mike. Your private message is off. Are your parents going Monday night?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MZIZI7 View Post
    Hey everyone....I know we will all talk on family day, but just trying to give a heads up....For our own orientation (18TH)day I was going to see if all of you had black slack bottoms and a white long sleave top...maybe with a tie. I am trying to spread this so we can all be on the same page and look like a team. Also we all need to have the same length in hair. I am keeping my regular hair for family day, but shaving it for the next day. like a 1 or 2....What do you all think? good idea? --mark
    i'm pretty sure in the info we got on our orientation it says business casual dress for the 18th. wasn't planning on wearing a tie. i'm all for dressing similar, however, i'm drawing the line at shaving my head your on your own with that one! haha

as for the other guys who asked for a timeline on the process, if you go back to previous posts, ive posted a timeline of my process also, take note of the dates on the posts, that will give you a good idea of what your faced with...

last thing, does anyone know if we are being served dinner on monday nite 17th nov? i'm going to call up today and find out for sure, but was wondering if anybody had heard anything...

once again, i still cant get the smile off my face that its almost game time!

Forum Member

last thing, does anyone know if we are being served dinner on monday nite 17th nov? i'm going to call up today and find out for sure, but was wondering if anybody had heard anything...
    I was wondering the same thing. When I got my call They didn't say anything about a dinner, and in the packet it doesn't mention it either. I'm gonna grab a bite before just in case but if you call and get a straight answer let us know. Thanks.

Forum Member

Default emails

I am trying to get everyones emails together for a database for when the tower starts so we can spread the word around faster and be able to help each other out. so far I have eyeateus, MZIZI7, nmortaza, and emmex510.

If there is anyone else on here that got selected for Dec 1 shoot me an email to mgross@sct-usa.net with your name and location where you will be commuting from. maybe I can start setting up some carpools or something. I'll try to make a spreadsheet or word doc and get it back to everyone that is going. I figure the more ready we are for the tower the better it will be for all of us. Thanks guys!!!

Forum Member

i'm all for dressing similar, however, i'm drawing the line at shaving my head your on your own with that one!
    Uh-oh, looks like we have deviant! Sorry to say, but you might be the only one with a full head of hair come drill tower. Shave that dome! At least a buzz!

Forum Member

I rang up and asked if any type of meal was being served on monday night and was told that there wasn't going to be anything...

just thought i'd pass on the info...

Forum Member

I'd recommend a suit and tie, guys. "Business casual" usually means go a step beyond business casual. That was the dress code for the county background orientation I went to and people who weren't wearing suits were singled out.

If possible, find someone who's been through it before to make sure.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SansMustache View Post
    I'd recommend a suit and tie, guys. "Business casual" usually means go a step beyond business casual. That was the dress code for the county background orientation I went to and people who weren't wearing suits were singled out.

If possible, find someone who's been through it before to make sure.
    That's a good idea to ask someone who's been through it already. But the orientation diner is business attire and the next day it is business casual. So dressing up suit and tie can be a sign of not being able to differentiate between the two and maybe even demonstrate a lack of attention to detail. Or maybe, just maybe...we're looking far too much into it.

Thread Information