Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone here ever interview for a second time? I passed my interview last Feb, but was dropped out after the Initial Panel. I know that if you pass the interview and get dropped out after that, you can come back a year later without taking the written again. If anyone did this, how do I go about it? Would I just call a recruiter? Or HR?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    Anyone here ever interview for a second time? I passed my interview last Feb, but was dropped out after the Initial Panel. I know that if you pass the interview and get dropped out after that, you can come back a year later without taking the written again. If anyone did this, how do I go about it? Would I just call a recruiter? Or HR?
    Is it standard that you get an official letter stating that you were dropped at the initial panel?

I've yet to receive notice that I'm going to backgrounds and though its only been two months, I want to start planning ahead for next year interviews if I was bounced.

Forum Member

I have heard that you are to re-apply on-line the way you did when you applied to the department a year ago. Personally, I would call personnel to check.

Quote Originally Posted by lamina007 View Post
    from what i've been told by other's about 7 business days. but from the people who work there at lafd they said it could take up to 3 weeks.

I took my written on Nov.15 2008 and still have not got my results back....Is there anyone I can contact?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TECHRAY View Post
    I took my written on Nov.15 2008 and still have not got my results back....Is there anyone I can contact?
    from what i've read hear, you'll just have to wait to get that letter. you may want to call the recruiting phone number off the lafd main website. try that out.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=DM1438;1016104]

Go to the mock interview! They will prep you and let you know what they are looking for. Visit 3 fire stations and ask questions about the dept. Know some facts and history of the dept. Know FF duties. This shows a real interest in your career. Google Los Angeles to find out information about the city. Population, demographics, square miles, government, etc. I stated over 750 high rise buildings, 2 airports, 100 hotels. Wear a suit. Be confident, professional, and have a positive attitude.
    great thanks for the heads up. i've already schedule to go down to a firestation this week. i'll look into the other info you talked about as well. are you already a fire fighter? Or are you still in the process of becoming one.

Forum Member

Lightbulb

jogehrig... turn your PM(private messaging) on.

[QUOTE=JOGEHRIG;1016496]
    Quote Originally Posted by bica2422 View Post

I'm in the same timeline as you. Took my test April 19, just got the call for psych test on Dec 24, Any insight on what to expect on psych test? med?

Women who called and scheduled the psych said next academy is mid Feb 09.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DM1438 View Post
    Took test 8-16-08. Had oral interview 9-30-08 100 score. Met with investigator 10-2-08 Notified I was placed on hiring list 11-4-08. Waiting to hear from investigator and final panel review. Hope to be hired for April 2009. Concerned about hiring freeze due to economy. FDNY and NYPD cancelled new recruit classes due to the economy. Anybody have new information about LAFD hiring? Thanks. Good luck to all!
    do you have your emt license already? will they hire you and put you in the academy if your still going to school for your emt cert? also, when in the academy do you go home, or are you stationed there monday through friday?

Forum Member

[QUOTE=lamina007;1016979]
    Quote Originally Posted by DM1438 View Post

great thanks for the heads up. i've already schedule to go down to a firestation this week. i'll look into the other info you talked about as well. are you already a fire fighter? Or are you still in the process of becoming one.
    I am a retired NYC firefighter and have applied to the LAFD.

Forum Member

do you have your emt license already? will they hire you and put you in the academy if your still going to school for your emt cert? also, when in the academy do you go home, or are you stationed there monday through friday?
    I am in the process of getting my EMT license. I don t think they will hire you unless you have your EMT license. I am pretty sure the academy is Mon-Fri 6:30am- 3:30 and you do go home at the end of the day.

Forum Member

Lamina007-

Your best bet to prep for the oral interview is to go to the mock interviews that are held at Hotchkins. I would call the recruiting office to see when they will be doing them. The other main and most important would be to go to a few fire station. Don't be afraid to go because they are all willing to help. It would be good for you to talk to the rookie as well and get his feed back. Going to the stations helped me out tremendously with my oral interview. You also need to have your EMT Cert in order to be accepted in the academy. You can move onto backgrounds, but will be put on hold for further processing until you have received your emt license.

DM1438-

After talking to a few recruits in the academy, you report at 0530 and usually head home around 1600-1700. Why do you want to get back into the service if you are already retired?

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by stihl9154 View Post
    Lamina007-

Your best bet to prep for the oral interview is to go to the mock interviews that are held at Hotchkins. I would call the recruiting office to see when they will be doing them. The other main and most important would be to go to a few fire station. Don't be afraid to go because they are all willing to help. It would be good for you to talk to the rookie as well and get his feed back. Going to the stations helped me out tremendously with my oral interview. You also need to have your EMT Cert in order to be accepted in the academy. You can move onto backgrounds, but will be put on hold for further processing until you have received your emt license.

DM1438-

After talking to a few recruits in the academy, you report at 0530 and usually head home around 1600-1700. Why do you want to get back into the service if you are already retired?
    hey guys and gals,

thanks for all the great info. this is one of the reasons i believe being a fire fighter would be so great. the fact that everyone is selfless and willing to help, even if we are still going through the same process. i believe all of us who help each other can reach our ultimate goal together. Thanks again and happy holidays. I'll keep everyone posted on my findings and the process

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TECHRAY View Post
    I took the Written Nov. 15th as well. I waited 3 weeks and eventually called Personnel last week. They were able to tell me that I passed but couldn't tell me when they would send the letters out. I imagine that with the number of applicants and the holiday they are pretty backed up. I'm just wondering if the Orals will be pushed back because of the delay. The PDF above said Dec. 11th - 30th and if we haven't received our letters yet if might be tough to interview by the 30th.

Forum Member

I don't believe that LA will go into a hiring freeze, but some talk around the Personnel department the other day stated that the new management is thinking about upping the entry requirements to compensate.

Forum Member

Lamina007-

DM1438-

I am only 41 years old and still in great shape. Good jobs are scarce in this economy and a second pension would be great. Going to the LAFD would be a great new experience for me.

Forum Member

Lamina007-

DM1438-

The next interview seminar is on Monday 22nd December.

On a side note, I just took my written test last week, anyone have any idea how long before you get the results? Also, I was wondering if being in my thirties and coming from England harm my chances? I am a legal resident of the US now and have a family here.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Congrats to all that got in the December class im in my final panel review and hope to hear from them soon to get in the Feb class can anyone tell me what a typical day at the drill tower is like or if eh towers are ran differenrtly? thanks

Forum Member

How does one dress to an exam with L.A. City? I noticed when I tested with Oxnard, everyone wore t-shirts and jeans. I wore a shirt and tie, would that be appropriate? Just for the exam, of course.

Default Another Timeline Question

OK...I had my Initial Background Interview (questionnaire and short chat with a background investigator) on Dec. 11. Told me I wouldn't hear anything until at least the middle of January; whether I go on in the process and get a background investigator, or go back and try again next year....Anyone in the same boat as I am? And does anyone know when the next Tower starts...I heard April.....Thanks in advance, Kev

Default LAFD drill tower

Congrats on all the people in the Dec tower I am in my final panel review looking for any suggestions on teh tower if somebody can post what life in teh tower is like would appreciate it

Forum Member

Default LAFD Feb Academy

Hey all,

Just talked to Capt. Lewis who works at 40s academy. He said the academy starts Febuary 16th and orientation is Feb. 2 and 3rd. Goodluck to everyone going through the process...

anyone else in the feb academy send me an email. itd b cool to meetup before. im in Huntington beach.

Forum Member

Default LAFD Feb Academy

Hey all,

Just talked to Capt lewis who works at 40's tower. He said that the Feb academy starts Feb 16th and the orientation will be Feb 2 and 3rd. Goodluck to everyone in the process. its a long and stressful process but itll all be worth it once u get that badge.

if anyone is also in the feb academy congrats and hit me up. Itd be cool to meetup before the academy. Im in huntington Beach,

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I got the letter stating I passed my medical eval and psych eval. Just got to sit back and wait for the phone call.............

Forum Member

Next academy Feb 9th?

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bica2422 View Post
    I got the letter stating I passed my medical eval and psych eval. Just got to sit back and wait for the phone call.............
    hey man congrats. i'm still waiting on my results for the written.

Thread Information