Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 61 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

Forum Member

Congrats on everyone going to the Dec. 1st academy

Was anyone in this group given a polygraph test?

ok so I was going through this thread, great stuff. I have my 2nd interview this month. I didnt have a chance to visit a LA station last year till after my interview because im from out of state and only had one day off work, but I have more time now. So which stations would be great to visit? Im also planning on visiting the Museum.

Quote Originally Posted by DM1438 View Post
    Does anyone know if the LAFD is cutting back on hiring due to the bad economy? In NY, the FDNY is cutting the academy to 17 weeks from 26 and cancelled the Jan. 2009 NYPD class. They are also closing 5 engine companies on the 6pm-9am tour. Also I hear the LAFD academy is super hard with a high failure rate. Can you get recycled into the next class if you fail? The wooden ladders are very heavy. Any comments? Thanks!
    LAFD is still hiring thru this fiscal year ending on June 30, 2009. They have two towers left in this fiscal year Feb 16 and April 27. The total of new hires between the two is 105. What going to happen next year is unknown.

I just got scheduled for my medical today. What are some of the disqualifiers? I know in the letter they send they want medical records for anything pertaining to the list of injuries or illnesses. To what extent do they become disqualifying?

Forum Member

Default LAFD Hiring process 2009

I am on the list for the LAFD. Scored 100 on the oral interview. I am being investigated now and have a clean background. Does anyone have information regarding the hiring process? Do I have a chance at being hired in the Summer or Fall of 2009? Any info would be great. Thanks!

Forum Member

Congrats to every one that started the tower today!

I took my written on Oct 18.
    Did an interview workshop in Oct.
    Mock oral on Nov 15th
    Oral Dec 1, (got a BG Packet!!!) They said I would get my official score 6/8 weeks by mail.
    Have my BG interview Dec 18th.

So, it is going fast. Did everyone wear a suit to the BG Interview?
    Does the interviewer just go over the application with you? It really takes 4 or 5 hours?

Thanks any info would help.

If anyone else is on this timeline let's keep in touch.

Forum Member

Jac629-
    Definitely wear a suit to your background interview. The 4-5 hours depend on how much you need to write for explanations for the packet they give you during the initial panel review. I was out of there in 2 hrs. I didnt have much to write done.

DM1438-
    It seems like it is taking the typical candidate that goes through the process 1-1.5 yrs from when they take their test. Mind you it varies for EVERYBODY. I have known some candidates to get on in 6 months and some it took 2 years. Also I believe LAFD's new fiscal year begins in July 09 and the way things are going with the city, they might be cutting back. I have heard though that they will be having back to back academies through 2010 due to retirements and promotions. We shall see.

There is also a good thread going call LAFD Backgrounds and etc you might want to look at.

Default ff1 cert transfer?

does anyone know if certifications from other states transfer to cali??....Im a volunteer firefighter in wisconsin, from cali originally, and i got my firefighter 1 and 2 certifications here and hazmat ops. Im working on my EMT right now, I want to move back home to cali in the next couple of years but i want to make sure it transfers. Any help is appreciated!

Forum Member

Talking got the call

I just got the call scheduling me for my psych and physical test for next wednesday. Im doing one handed backflips as i write this. no victory dances yet though.......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jac629 View Post
    Congrats to every one that started the tower today!

I took my written on Oct 18.
    Did an interview workshop in Oct.
    Mock oral on Nov 15th
    Oral Dec 1, (got a BG Packet!!!) They said I would get my official score 6/8 weeks by mail.
    Have my BG interview Dec 18th.

So, it is going fast. Did everyone wear a suit to the BG Interview?
    Does the interviewer just go over the application with you? It really takes 4 or 5 hours?

Thanks any info would help.

If anyone else is on this timeline let's keep in touch.
    I'm in the same boat you are in. The BGI will go over EVERYTHING on your packet with you. I wouldn't recommend a suit, but business casual would be good (shirt and tie). I've heard that depending on what is on your record, it takes anywhere from 2-5 hours. 6 to 8 weeks after that, you get your second background interview, and if you are golden from there, the medical and crazy test, blah blah blah, academy date.

Take that with a grain of salt, i'm just looking in

Forum Member

Default preliminary background interview

Quote Originally Posted by Ticonderoga View Post
    I'm in the same boat you are in. The BGI will go over EVERYTHING on your packet with you. I wouldn't recommend a suit, but business casual would be good (shirt and tie). I've heard that depending on what is on your record, it takes anywhere from 2-5 hours. 6 to 8 weeks after that, you get your second background interview, and if you are golden from there, the medical and crazy test, blah blah blah, academy date.

Take that with a grain of salt, i'm just looking in

I would disagree with wearing just a shirt and tie to the background interview. Both men and women wore suits at my BGI. Not one candidate wore just a shirt and tie. This may have been a different situation for Ticonderoga. My suggestion would be to wear a suit to the BGI. You do not want to be the odd person out. It is definitely better to be overdressed than under dressed.

Good luck with your BGI.

Forum Member

Congrats Bica2422 on the call!

Thanks for all the input, everyone. It really helps to know there are others going through the same stuff.

Hopefully all will go well and quickly for me. My background literally has nothing in it. I think my references will take the longest to go through.
    Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks again for the insight.

Good luck to everyone in this process.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Final Panel Review

Congrats to the December tower folks!

I finished my BG Oct. 16th, and still waiting on panel review...any input on what I can expect from here?

How soon is the Medical typically scheduled after panel review...and then what?

Thanks everyone!

Forum Member

Default Ems

Do LA Firefighters ride and staff the Ambulances or is that a seperate division?

Forum Member

Cool weight requirements for physical exam

does Los angeles have a weight requirement based on your height? Do they use BMI?

Forum Member

Default Weight Requirement

Quote from bica2422
    "does Los angeles have a weight requirement based on your height? Do they use BMI?"

The only thing LAFD says on their website is this:

Weight (body fat content) must be proportionate to height for men and women.

Hope this helps.

Forum Member

Cool med/psych exam

I just got back from the medical evaluation / psych exam... wow. i would never wish that psych eval upon my worst enemy.... even my mother in law... total questions = 1026. Its not that bad... just takes a while. the med was a standard physical. no biggie... the majority of candidates on here heard back within 2-3 weeks so i am hoping for the same. have a good day everyone.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoaster View Post
    Do LA Firefighters ride and staff the Ambulances or is that a seperate division?
    Yes. Their medics run on '800' series boxes, while the BLS rigs are I don't know what.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ticonderoga View Post
    Yes. Their medics run on '800' series boxes, while the BLS rigs are I don't know what.
    Yes which, separate division or Firefighters ride the ambulance?

Forum Member

Default Written Test

Should i wear a suit to the written test? or is shirt and tie o.k.?

Thread Information