Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DM1438 View Post
    Does anyone have new information if the LAFD is going to have a hiring freeze due to the bad economy?
    i went to an oral interview seminar they hold at the hodgkins stadium and they said they have money to hire all the way up until 2012. i guess the captains said that there are so many people retiring right now and not so many people passing the acadamy. they want to hire 250 people a year holding 5 academies but have only been hiring on average 35 to 40 people per acadamy. but he said you never no. with out any notice they could stop hiring completely. borack obama says that he doesn't plan on cutting money to police and fire fighters though. so that's good news. hope that helps or eases some anxiety.

Forum Member

DM1438-

Enable your private messaging.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by stihl9154 View Post
    DM1438-

Enable your private messaging.
    It is on now. DM1438
    Last edited by DM1438; 01-16-2009 at 01:30 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lamina007 View Post
    i went to an oral interview seminar they hold at the hodgkins stadium and they said they have money to hire all the way up until 2012. i guess the captains said that there are so many people retiring right now and not so many people passing the acadamy. they want to hire 250 people a year holding 5 academies but have only been hiring on average 35 to 40 people per acadamy. but he said you never no. with out any notice they could stop hiring completely. borack obama says that he doesn't plan on cutting money to police and fire fighters though. so that's good news. hope that helps or eases some anxiety.
    Thank you for the information, it s nice to have an idea of what is going on with the hiring process right now. Hopefully, they will keep hiring. Good luck. Dm1438

Forum Member

Default Lamina007

Hey Lamina007,

My buddy took the written exam on DEc 14th, but he hasnt heard back yet either. What did personnel tell you when you called them? Did they tell you when your letter would come or when your interview is?

Thanks

Forum Member

Default Lamina007

Lamina007,

Hey I have a buddy who took the written exam on Dec 14th, he hasnt heard anything yet though. What did the personnel office tell you when you called them regarding your interview date? Did you get one yet? have you received a letter stating that you passed your written yet?

Thanks

Forum Member

DM1438-

Ive tried to send you a few emails, but its still blocked.

Forum Member

Default Private message

Sorry for the confusion, I am pretty sure it is working now.

Forum Member

DM1438-

Ive tried to send you a few emails, but its still blocked.
    Sorry, it is unblocked now. DM1438

Hello everyone, this the first time I've posted on this site. I am really paranoid and worried that I won't be able to become a firefighter. Here are my reasons eventhough I'm sure they sound superficial to some people. Well I am 24 yrs old. I've been an EMT for a private IFT ambulance company for about a year now. My plan was to join the Verdugo Fire Academy this year but due to financial reasons, I couldn't afford it. I'm worried because I just can't afford any academy because every bit of money I make goes to rent and bills. I have completed the first course in Fire Science (Fire 101). I was thinking about doing the CalFires route as a step towards getting hired onto a Dept., but the application seems to require a lot more experience than I have. Are there any other options I have? What are my chances if I apply directly to the Dept.? Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Forum Member

I'm in L.A. and just started the process for applying to LAFD. Good luck to the rest of you.

Forum Member

Cool initial panel review

I was invited to the Nov.13th background interview and havnt heard anything yet(I know no news is good news) but it looks like the dec. group is already getting letters. I called and the lady told me im still in the process, It seems like there holding on to me intill they need me. Has anybody from the nov.13th group received a non selected or a moving on in the process letter,Thanks

Heres my stats for the sake of the thread,
    halfway to an AS degree in fire Tech
    NIMS 100,200,700,800
    FEMA NRT-deployed for Gustav
    Heavy construction background
    Cpat/Biddle test
    L.A. city/California ambulance licence
    NREMT-B/L.A. county EMT
    AMR Employee
    ~SM

Forum Member

I was invited to the Nov.13th background interview and havnt heard anything yet(I know no news is good news) but it looks like the dec. group is already getting letters. I called and the lady told me im still in the process, It seems like there holding on to me intill they need me. Has anybody from the nov.13th group received a non selected or a moving on in the process letter,Thanks

Heres my stats for the sake of the thread,
    halfway to an AS degree in fire Tech
    NIMS 100,200,700,800
    FEMA NRT-deployed for Gustav
    Heavy construction background
    Cpat/Biddle test
    L.A. city/California ambulance licence
    NREMT-B/L.A. county EMT
    AMR Employee
    ~SM

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slick75 View Post
    Lamina007,

Hey I have a buddy who took the written exam on Dec 14th, he hasnt heard anything yet though. What did the personnel office tell you when you called them regarding your interview date? Did you get one yet? have you received a letter stating that you passed your written yet?

Thanks
    i still have not received a letter from the department stating i passed. i have not receieved any interview dates either. i'm probably going to try calling again this week. let me know if your friend get's any updates.

Forum Member

linepride79-

In order to get hired with Cal Fire in the so cal units you must have the 67hr academy/cert to get hired. You have a MUCH better shot without it in the northern California regions.

sixthehard & lamina007-

When I talked to personnel when I first started this is what they told me about candidates who move on. What they do is categorize candidates after the initial review and take the ones that are most qualified for them at that point. They do not want to lose those canidates to other FD's so they put them in the process right away. The other candidates are not as high priority and are in the "average" group and they will choose you if they need you. This can last up to a year. I have known people that have been chosen after the initial review as quickly as a couple of weeks and some 11 months later. So, no news is good news. Good luck to all that are in the process.

Forum Member

linepride79-

In order to get hired with Cal Fire in the so cal units you must have the 67hr academy/cert to get hired. You have a MUCH better shot without it in the northern California regions.

sixthehard & lamina007-

When I talked to personnel when I first started this is what they told me about candidates who move on. What they do is categorize candidates after the initial review and take the ones that are most qualified for them at that point. They do not want to lose those canidates to other FD's so they put them in the process right away. The other candidates are not as high priority and are in the "average" group and they will choose you if they need you. This can last up to a year. I have known people that have been chosen after the initial review as quickly as a couple of weeks and some 11 months later. So, no news is good news. Good luck to all that are in the process.

does this apply to the candidates that only have taken the written? i've only taken the written and when i called they said i passed. i also took the cpat and passed that test as well. i start my emet class this month. i thought that the written was only pass or fail. let me know if this is correct. thanks.

Forum Member

lamina007-

This applies to candidates who pass their oral interview and attend the initial background interview. Also, you will not be hired by LAFD if you do not have your EMT cert. You will not be processed further in the backgrounds (get an investigator) until you have it. The written is pass or fail.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by linepride79 View Post
    Hello everyone, this the first time I've posted on this site. I am really paranoid and worried that I won't be able to become a firefighter. Here are my reasons eventhough I'm sure they sound superficial to some people. Well I am 24 yrs old. I've been an EMT for a private IFT ambulance company for about a year now. My plan was to join the Verdugo Fire Academy this year but due to financial reasons, I couldn't afford it. I'm worried because I just can't afford any academy because every bit of money I make goes to rent and bills. I have completed the first course in Fire Science (Fire 101). I was thinking about doing the CalFires route as a step towards getting hired onto a Dept., but the application seems to require a lot more experience than I have. Are there any other options I have? What are my chances if I apply directly to the Dept.? Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    The Forest Service is having a job fair on the 31st in San Fernando. Address is 12371 N. Little Tujunga Canyon Rd. 91342

Forum Member

Here is some interesting information for candidates currently in the hiring process with LAFD.

"Memorandum of Agreement between the Los Angeles Fire Department and the Los Angeles Personnel Department"

Effective 11/21/2008

To read entire LAFD report:
    http://www.lafd.org/reports.htm

Click on: BFC 09-012 01/26/2009

Forum Member

Here is some interesting information for candidates currently in the hiring process with LAFD.

"Memorandum of Agreement between the Los Angeles Fire Department and the Los Angeles Personnel Department"

Effective 11/21/2008

To read entire LAFD report:
    http://www.lafd.org/reports.htm

Click on: BFC 09-012 01/26/2009
    That is the most informative thing I have ever read or heard about LAFD's hiring process.

Forum Member

Smile Background Information / Hiring process

Nice investigative work.
    Last edited by DM1438; 01-23-2009 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Add info.

Forum Member

lamina007-

This applies to candidates who pass their oral interview and attend the initial background interview. Also, you will not be hired by LAFD if you do not have your EMT cert. You will not be processed further in the backgrounds (get an investigator) until you have it. The written is pass or fail.
    No wonder I haven't heard crap back. I swear the National Registry teamed up with my 11th grade math teacher to destroy me.

Forum Member

Default Background investigation/ EMT certification

I received a letter stating I was going to have an investigator contact me in the next 30 days for further processing. I do not have my EMT certification yet.

Forum Member

DM1438-

You will not move further than your backgrounds until you have your emt cert. Your BI will tell you this in your interview. You will not move onto the final review panel until it is completed. Let me know if it has changed. I do know for a fact that LAFD will not hire anyone without an EMT cert.

Forum Member

True. You can test for LA City but they will not hire you without gaining your EMT first.

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

Thread Information