Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DM1438 View Post
    I received a letter stating I was going to have an investigator contact me in the next 30 days for further processing. I do not have my EMT certification yet.
    Oh. Then I will resume my post at the mailbox.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not sure if posted yet, but what are my chances if I have paramedic? Is LA known for hiring paramedics?

Forum Member

Do firefighter/emts staff the ambulances in LA, could they move you from an engine to the ambulance regularly or on an as needed basis? Thanks for any help.

Forum Member

Two people within the department have told me that this February academy will be the last academy for a long while due to the Citys lack of funds. Has anyone else heard anything like this?

Forum Member

Default 2009 Budget

According to Chief Barry's message to the department about the 2009 budget that came out on June 12, 2008, the last paragraph reads.....

"Next yearís budget contains funding to keep all 106 fire stations open; and all 49 Light Forces, all 101 Engines, and all 130 Rescue Ambulances in service and staffed. There is adequate funding to hire 250 more Firefighters in five Recruit Classes. There is also adequate funding to cover cost of living adjustments to the salaries and constant staffing overtime accounts. Overall, the Departmentís budget was not cut; it was increased by 4.1% over this fiscal yearís budget."

http://portal.lafd.info/

Forum Member

I really hope that February is not the last academy for awhile. What I have also heard what has happened is that they got rid of 7 ems captains. And plan on shutting down some apparatus in order to have the people on the shut down apparatus cover shifts that would normally be overtime shifts.

Forum Member

I received a letter stating I was going to have an investigator contact me in the next 30 days for further processing. I do not have my EMT certification yet.
    Congrats. What date was your background interview?

Forum Member

I was at the interview seminar they had on Saturday, one of the captains said that the April class might be cancelled. He did not mention anything about others. Though, he said there will be one in June.

Forum Member

Default Background interview

Quote Originally Posted by 21percent View Post
    Congrats. What date was your background interview?
    Oral interview 9-30-02. Initial background interview 10-2-08. Recieved letter 12-30-08 my background investigator would contact me in the next 30 days.

Forum Member

DogEater & CanofWD40 -

There is plenty of talk going around the stations as to what is going to happen. You are the first that i have heard there will not be one for a while after febuary. They have funding for the next two towers which is Feb and April. Then we shall see what happens. From multiple people I have heard that they will be hiring next year but will be cutting down on the ot/sod for FF. They also wont be having overlapping towers. This makes sense, for it is cheaper for the city in the long run and current situation. Also what you heard about the EMS captains and slashing of rigs is correct.

The new fiscal year starts July 09, so we should know a few months before that as to what is going to happend for the 09-10 year and how many they are going to hire. I wouldnt worry about all of this until it is set in stone and told by the cheif and mayor of LA as to if they are going to hire in 09-10.

Forum Member

Oral interview 9-30-02. Initial background interview 10-2-08. Recieved letter 12-30-08 my background investigator would contact me in the next 30 days.
    Thanks for the response.

My background interview was a couple weeks after yours. I'm still waiting patiently to be contacted.

Forum Member

Default LAFD Academy

Does anyone have any information about the LAFD academy? I heard it is a very demanding para-military academy with a high failure rate.

Forum Member

DM1438-

What you have heard is correct. It is a very demanding para military academy and yes many people fail out. This is mainly due being out of "fire fighter recruit" shape. You must be extremely in shape for this tower. It is very physical. You work long days and do a lot of PT and physical training.
    Some of it also has to due with the candidates that have never been in the fire service before. The first half of the tower is the testing portion of the tower and the second half consists of the phases (ie, "connecting the dots" with all they tools you have learned). This is where a lot of people fail out too. It is very demanding and physical. As for paramilitary, it is sir yes sir, line up every morning, inspection in the morning, look ahead only, do not speak unless spoken too, and etc.

Forum Member

Default LAFD academy

Thank you for your response, I agree with you. The LAFD academy will be very demanding. They use heavy wooden ladders that are difficult to maneuver. I plan on keeping myself in top physical condition. Does anyone else have thoughts or information on the topic?

Forum Member

Thank you for your response, I agree with you. The LAFD academy will be very demanding. They use heavy wooden ladders that are difficult to maneuver. I plan on keeping myself in top physical condition. Does anyone else have thoughts or information on the topic?
    Technique is a plus, especially with wooden ladders. Yea they are heavy as hell, but if you can throw them right, and with good teamwork, its cake.

Just wanted to post my timeline so far to see if anyone else is around the same time frame. Like that we can keep each other updated with when we hear back.
    Interview January 9, 2009
    Background interview January 22, 2009

Forum Member

Default Timeline

Thought I'd post my timeline in case anyone else was around the same time frame. Like that some people can follow the legnth of time it takes for each step. And for anyone to let the others in the same time frame know if they have heard anything.

Forum Member

Default Timeline

Oops accidentaly pressed enter.
    Interview Jan 9, 2009
    Background int. January 22, 2009

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slick75 View Post
    Hey Lamina007,

My buddy took the written exam on DEc 14th, but he hasnt heard back yet either. What did personnel tell you when you called them? Did they tell you when your letter would come or when your interview is?

Thanks
    hey man hows it going. i just wanted to give you a heads up. i took my written on dec 13th. then passed my cpat on jan 8th. once i turned that in. i called back today and found out that they have all my stuff and my oral interview date is feb 19th. i still have not received any letters but they said that i would get it 14 days prior till my interview date. let your friend know to call in if he hasn't received his letter yet. you don't want that interview to sneak up on you and only have 14 days to prepare. keep me posted.

Forum Member

Does anyone have any information about the LAFD academy? I heard it is a very demanding para-military academy with a high failure rate.
    From another posting by LAFD23

There are so many threads on this board devoted to the hiring process for LAFD, and as someone who went through all of that I can understand the stress of the process.

That being said, once you are successful in being hired for the department, (after all that time, worrying, and stress) you owe it to yourself to put yourself in the best position possible to succeed in the drill tower.

An overwhelming majority of the recruits who fail the drill tower do so due to injury (ie: a full 30% of my drill tower class). Either an injury forces them to retire (just 4 missed days total in 18 weeks and you are out) or it causes them to fail enough evolutions that they can not be retained. And a vast majority of the injuries are because they were not prepared physically for the rigors of training and their bodies just broke down.

*Tangent alert*: If you think the CPAT is in any way representative of the physical demands of the drill tower you are incredibly mistaken. If you had even a minor difficulty completing any element of the CPAT course (or the course as a whole), you will need to *significantly* elevate your fitness level to be prepared for your training in the drill tower.

Please do not believe that you will be able to work your way into shape in the drill tower. In fact, if you think you are in the best shape of your life, you should train harder in anticipation of the drill tower. Furthermore, if you can bench 300 lbs, but can't run a mile, you need to adjust your training methods.

Whatever you do, just don't let all those months (or years) of working so diligently to get hired go to waste because you fail to train properly.

Here is an extremely basic training idea (assuming an average to above average baseline fitness level):

Roughly 1 year out (aka START RIGHT NOW): Start with your diet. You need to lose any extra weight you are carrying starting now. Every evolution performed during the drill tower is that much harder when you're carrying extra lbs of fat. Get rid of it. Now. Your PPEs and FD equip is heavy enough.

Stop easting fast food now. Start eating lean meats, salad, etc. If you don't know what to eat, get a book from the library, ask a nutritionist or buddy, etc.. Start drinking lots of water and get used to making sure your body is hydrated every day. Stop drinking sports drinks and soda. Cut back on or eliminate the booze too.

Also, this is a good time to start jogging or doing cardio if you need to elevate your baseline fitness level. If you can't run 3 miles in under 24 minutes, this means you.

6-12 months out: If you haven't already, start an intensive training program focused on the tasks relevant to the drill tower and commit to it. I'm talking 5-6 times a week. Holidays. Birthdays. Whatever. Commit to it.

For workouts, don't focus on only weights or only cardio. Instead, try to concentrate on high intensity cross training that combines cardio, weight and core training. I (and a lot of FFs on the job) used http://crossfit.com/ , which I highly recommend. I was a college athlete and still play sports and this method was ideal for the tasks presented in the drill tower.

We had guys with muscles on top of muscles who couldn't run or bend and they got hurt. And running all day long isn't any good if you can't lift a hose pack. Find a balance that works for you and go with it.

Also, work on your grip strength a little each day. Opinions vary on the best method. Towel pullups, wrist rollers, rock climbing, etc.. are usually the best.

3 months out: At this point you should be in virtually peak physical condition. Keep it up. And really focus on your nutrition, especially hydration. Fine tune. Also add in pushups, lots of em. Do at least 100 a day. Also, work on your grip strength every day.

1 month out: If you had really been pushing yourself to the limit, now is the time to pull back just a bit. Don't get yourself hurt before you start. Still work out, but not to the point of risking injury. Now is also the time to get your push-ups dialed. I suggest doing 25-50 every half hour on the hour all day long. Also, try to hold yourself at the up position and down position for 30-60 second intervals for a few of those. You will be doing this a lot in the drill tower. And you don't want to be the recruit who can not do it.

During the drill tower: Work hard and take care of your body. Nutrition and hydration is critical. Drink all day and all night before days at the tower. If your urine isn't clear you need to drink some more. Guys fall out when they are not hydrated. Keep eating right also. A burger and fries for dinner isn't going to treat you right the next day during training. Most guys cut out booze completely.

"Regarding grip, why wouldn't pullups and deadlifts be enough to develop grip strength? What besides climbing ladders and swinging axes will require so much grip?"

To answer, I would suggest going beyond pullups and deadlifts so that you will strengthen your entire hand, not just your forearms and wrists.

As I mentioned, I added towel pullups, rock climbing for variety (in a gym), and I purchased hand-grips online (http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/ope...sofcrush.html). Don't bother with the ones you can get in stores, unless you can find ones like these.

As for why, besides what you mentioned, here is what is going to test your grip strenght the most:

1. (critical) Raising the fly section of extension ladders using a 3/8" or 5/8" halyard (rope) while wearing (often wet) structure gloves. You must do this with your hands thumbs up (not thumbs down like in the CPAT, which is easier). This is far more difficult than it sounds, and if you are unable to raise the ladder completely you will fail the evolution.

2. (important, done often during drills and always during PT) Raising and lowering (with complete control, no slipping) hose and/or equipment via a 5/16" line completely as high as 8 stories while wearing (often wet) structure gloves. Often multiple times.

These are just two of the most obvious tasks I can think of. Most people will lose their grip at some point. Also keep in mind that you will often (even daily) be asked to do these tasks multiple times and usually in succession, in addition to axe work and other exercises that will tax your body.

Other than that: Give it your best and good luck.

As I said, this is all a rough outline. I'm sure lots of people have routines and suggestions that worked for them. This is simply what worked for me, and what I observed as part of my recruit training. If anyone has any further questions, they can either respond to this thread or PM me directly and I would be glad to help.

Disclaimer: Please keep this discussion to fitness/nutrition and such. I have no idea when you are getting hired and/or why you are not being hired. I trained for this job without having any confirmation at all that I would be lucky enough to get the call. What's the worst that can happen, you end up being in great shape?

Best of luck to all of you and stay safe out there.

Forum Member

Talking any tips for a newbie

Hello

I just got in a mail to take the written test for LAFD on Feb 21. This will be my first Firefighter written exam I take. So I was wondering if you guys can give me any tips on how to come dress and what to expect. Any advice would be great.

Thank You in advance and have a great day...

Forum Member

Question tips-advice

Hello

I'm a newbie here and I just recently got my letter from LAFD on taking a written test on Feb 21. My question to my fellow members is what is the proper attire to wear to the written test? and any advice or tips on the written test event? Thank you in advance on your help.

Have a good day...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by arosario View Post
    Just wanted to post my timeline so far to see if anyone else is around the same time frame. Like that we can keep each other updated with when we hear back.
    Looks like I'm in pretty much the same boat as you:

My timeline:

Applied: late July 2008

CPAT: late August 2008

Written: November 15th 2008

*** got me emt cert late December 2008 ***

Oral interview: January 13th 2009(no idea why it took 2 months to schedule my oral after the written as some guys were scheduled in the middle of december)

Background Interview: Feb. 5th 2009(scrambling to get my references, roommates, previous job info, etc. together!!!)

I just moved out to wisconsin from california while my gf goes to school.I am currently a paid on call firefighter and an emt-basic.I plan on moving back home to LA in the next year and a half or so and applying , i was wondering if anyone has any advice on what i should do to better my chances of getting hired?..When i move back i will also be more than half way to an AA in fire protection. Will my year and a half experience as a paid on call ff, and my fire science credits give me a better shot at getting hired??, saying i do good enough on the written that is. Any info or advice is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by arosario View Post
    I also had my background interview the 22nd

Thread Information