Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

Forum Member

Lamina007,

Hey, I really appreciate your information. He hasnt heard anything yet, I told him to call..... but I dont think he has. I'll let you know when he hears something and when his interview is.

Start running and doing push ups now!!! You'll be doing alot of it in the drill tower.

Forum Member

I hate to call and annoy the HR people, but I took my test on Dec 19th and I have not heard back yet. Anyone else from the Dec 19th out there heard back about their test scores or interview invitations?

Forum Member

Default Letter

i received my letter for the oral interview. it came in just like they said. 14 days before my oral. FYI for those of you in the same process.

Forum Member

I received my letter yesterday that I made it through the Initial Panel Review and I will be contacted by a background investigator within 30 days!

I took my written on Oct 18.
    Did an interview workshop in Oct.
    Mock oral on Nov 15th
    Oral Dec 1, (got a BG Packet!!!) They said I would get my official score 6/8 weeks by mail.
    Have my BG interview Dec 18th.
    Oral Interview Score Letter Jan 15th - score 100
    Background Investigator Letter Feb 4th

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jac629 View Post
    I received my letter yesterday that I made it through the Initial Panel Review and I will be contacted by a background investigator within 30 days!

Mock oral on Nov 15th
    Oral Dec 1, (got a BG Packet!!!) They said I would get my official score 6/8 weeks by mail.
    Good stuff. I think I took it the same day you did. Maybe mine will come tomorrow? *fingers crossed*

Default anyone with advice?

Im looking for some advice. Im currently living in wisconsin, but im from southern california, and plan on moving back home in about a year and a half. Im currently an NRemt basic, and working as a paid on call firefighter, as well as pursuing an AA in fire protection. I plan on applying to any and all departments near LA that i possibly can, including LA city and La CO. Does anyone have any advice on how i can better prepare, build my resume, experience, have a better chance of getting hired, etc..??? I already know that none of my certificates, ff 1, 2, hazmat, etc, will not work in cali, but i plan on taking a firefighter 1 academy asap when i get home. Is that a good start??..... Any advice is appreciated!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jac629 View Post

Mock oral on Nov 15th
    i have my oral interview coming up on the 19th of this month. any words of encouragement or tips for me?

Forum Member

Lamina,

thanks for your updates! I've replied to you a few times, but for some reason my responses never get posted. So well see if this makes it.

As far as the interview... did you happen to do the mock interviews at Hotchkins? Be confident, stick with your first answer. dont second guess yourself even if they question you. They just want to hear your reasoning, it doesnt really matter if you answer is not text book, just as long as you can explain your thinking behind it.

Forum Member

just got my interview score in the mail today. so this puts me at:
    Interview Jan 9
    BG interview Jan 22
    Interview score recieved Feb 6

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lamina007 View Post
    i have my oral interview coming up on the 19th of this month. any words of encouragement or tips for me?
    You want to tie EVERYTHING you say into the fire service. Also, for the purpose of your interview, LAFD is the best and only department you ever wanted to work for.

Forum Member

Ticonderga,

Those are excellent tips!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CanofWD40 View Post
    I was at the interview seminar they had on Saturday, one of the captains said that the April class might be cancelled. He did not mention anything about others. Though, he said there will be one in June.
    I have spoken to two training captains in the academy and they have said that the April tower will be canceled. There will be two more. One at 40s in June and one more after that at 81s. After that there will be a hiring freeze until 2011.

I dont see why they still would be testing and interviewing if this is what is going to happen.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lamina007 View Post
    Go visit fire stations. You cant get any better help or encouraging tips from anybody else. It helped me TREMENDOUSLY on my oral interview. Good luck to you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by stihl9154 View Post
    I have spoken to two training captains in the academy and they have said that the April tower will be canceled. There will be two more. One at 40s in June and one more after that at 81s. After that there will be a hiring freeze until 2011.

I dont see why they still would be testing and interviewing if this is what is going to happen.

i had my mock oral yesterday. the guy said i did really well. i just need to polish up on a couple of answers. thanks to everyone for all your advice. if anyone on here is thinking of applying and going through the process, really listen to what everyone is saying. there is a purpose behind it. hopefully they'll extend out the hiring date.

Forum Member

Probably because (no offense to the TC's you talked to) Captains don't make decisions like that.

I don't believe anyone anymore because of the variety of answers I have gotten... They are fine for 10 years... Hiring Freeze... Five more academies then freeze...

Forum Member

Default Hiring freeze

If anyone else has information about a hiring freeze please post it.

Forum Member

this hiring freeze talk is a joke. go read the annual budget then start talking. Even if they 'cut the april class' the Chief will have a new budget in July so hiring with be like its been

Forum Member

Talking Advice

Good day to all.... I've been invited to take the LAFD written exam this Feb 21. This will be my first written exam to take for any FD, and I was wondering if somebody can give me some good tips or advice on the way you dress or anything in general. I thank you in advance for your time.

Thank You
    Brian

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by popofosho View Post
    this hiring freeze talk is a joke. go read the annual budget then start talking. Even if they 'cut the april class' the Chief will have a new budget in July so hiring with be like its been
    popofosho-

Since you seem to know everything, give us a link to the budget. I have already read it plenty of times. The current budget ends June 31st. Starting July 1st will be the budget for 09-10. The Chief has NO control over the budget. That is controlled by the Mayor and Fire Commission. He has plenty of insight but no control as to what they do with it.

Forum Member

Well, if I do not get an interview date, I'll get the hint. Hopefully, Oxnard will open up, in a couple of years.
    Last edited by CanofWD40; 02-10-2009 at 12:20 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CanofWD40 View Post
    Well, if I do not get an interview date, I'll get the hint. Hopefully, Oxnard will open up, in a couple of years.
    Oxnard was a major bust

popofosho-

Since you seem to know everything, give us a link to the budget. I have already read it plenty of times. The current budget ends June 31st. Starting July 1st will be the budget for 09-10. The Chief has NO control over the budget. That is controlled by the Mayor and Fire Commission. He has plenty of insight but no control as to what they do with it.
    I just got done with my Background investigation and received a letter in the mail that Im moving on to the final panel review.

I called my investigator and he sounded concerned that the April tower may not happen due to budget problems. He told me to call him next month if I havent heard anything.

The bottom line is that the state is in serious trouble but they really need to fill the positions. There is no way for us to know what is going to happen.

Forum Member

Congatulations. Everything seems uncertain right now. Hopefully with the economic stimulus package passing the funding will be available. When did you take your written test? How long did your investigation last?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bmontenegro View Post
    Good day to all.... I've been invited to take the LAFD written exam this Feb 21. This will be my first written exam to take for any FD, and I was wondering if somebody can give me some good tips or advice on the way you dress or anything in general. I thank you in advance for your time.

Thank You
    Brian
    First of all i reccomd reading through this whole thread. it will give you lots of usefull information. most of which is true. at the written exam, you can wear jeans and a t-shirt. you don't have to dress up unless your visiting the fire stations or going to the interviews. just don't wear any pants around the ankles and look like a gangsta. be neat. you never know who is watching you. i went in slacks and a button up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by naschmit View Post
    I just got done with my Background investigation and received a letter in the mail that Im moving on to the final panel review.

I called my investigator and he sounded concerned that the April tower may not happen due to budget problems. He told me to call him next month if I havent heard anything.

The bottom line is that the state is in serious trouble but they really need to fill the positions. There is no way for us to know what is going to happen.
    Hey well I am in the same boat as you so let me know if you hear anything about April's academy. I got submitted to the final panel in the beginning of January and the paper said allow up to 2 months. Unfortunately, I don't have many sources that know what is going on with la city. So any news helps. Thanks.

Thread Information