Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 61 FirstFirst ... 101718192021222330 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bica2422 View Post
    brownshoe,

i got one letter stating i passed the psych portion. I called in and wanted to verify that i passed the medical and the personnel dept confirmed that. you only get one letter as far as i know.
    from the start of your application to when you just received the call. how long was the time frame for you? also did you complete your emt license previous to starting your application or did you complete it during you application process?

Forum Member

Default No Invite

Is it possible to pass the medical and psyche and not get invited to a tower?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lamina007 View Post
    i also just took the cpat exam yesterday. i improved my time by over 1 min and 12 sec just by implementing a little bit of running and working out. i'm stoked.
    Congrats! I was there yesterday too. There were quite a few people that I recognized this time.

Here's to hoping we never having to take the CPAT again... lol.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SansMustache View Post
    Congrats! I was there yesterday too. There were quite a few people that I recognized this time.

Here's to hoping we never having to take the CPAT again... lol.
    did you take your in orange. i was there around 5.30 6 ish yesterday. maybe i saw you there. how far along are you in the process?

Forum Member

did you take your in orange. i was there around 5.30 6 ish yesterday. maybe i saw you there. how far along are you in the process?
    Yeah, I was in Orange but mine was at 3:30 and I left at about 4:30 so we probably missed each other.

I'm actually in LA County's process, finishing up and waiting for a tower date. I interviewed a year ago today, actually. We don't have a big thread like this so I like to stick my head in here from time to time. Several of my friends just had interviews with LA City and my brother is an LAFD firefighter as well. I hope you do well!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SansMustache View Post
    Yeah, I was in Orange but mine was at 3:30 and I left at about 4:30 so we probably missed each other.

I'm actually in LA County's process, finishing up and waiting for a tower date. I interviewed a year ago today, actually. We don't have a big thread like this so I like to stick my head in here from time to time. Several of my friends just had interviews with LA City and my brother is an LAFD firefighter as well. I hope you do well!
    that's awesome good luck. i actually just applied today to lacofd as well. is there process the same as la city?

1. application
    2. written exam
    3. cpat
    4. oral interview
    5. back round
    6. panel review
    7. job offer.

if so you said you've been in the process for over a year? how long can i expect to wait to see if i am accepted to the written portion if i just finished application today?

Forum Member

Thanks, man. The process is quite similar. Everything you listed is the same, but the background investigation it done a little differently. LAFD has a few more steps in their background process than the County. There's no formal preliminary background review (that I was made aware of), just a group background orientation for the selected Band 1 candidates. That's where we received our packets. LAFD hands them out the same day as your interview if you are successful. Also, there is no psych evaluation for the County unless they feel that the individual requires it. We had to write a biography about ourselves during our background orientation, so that probably comes into play with their judgment of our mental health.

The LAFD process seems to move quite a bit more quickly. I submitted my application for County in February of 2007 and took my written in November that year. It's a long ride, that's for sure – coming up on two years. Some people wait a whole year to get selected for the written test, some wait a month, and some never get selected at all and have to reapply. It's a lottery – totally random. Here's a link to a thread where I posted some more detailed info about my LACoFD timeline and what the process is like, if you or anyone else is interested. http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...51#post1015251
    Last edited by SansMustache; 01-09-2009 at 05:05 PM. Reason: fixed link

MembersZone Subscriber

Default bica

awsome info regarding the psych...thank you.

This is a really great thread, you guys and gals are great!

Forum Member

from the start of your application to when you just received the call. how long was the time frame for you? also did you complete your emt license previous to starting your application or did you complete it during you application process?
    Lamina, just so you know, everyone is different. So if he got through quite fast, that is great and hope that you get through that fast. However if it takes over a year, don't get discouraged. LAFD has a very long process. I am now in my final panel, and their stats show I've been in the process since January of 2007.

First time through the process I didn't pass my oral interview in March of 07. So I went and got my EMT, Fire Academy, and became a reserve firefighter, then reapplied a year later in April of 08. I got to skip the written test again because I guess it is valid for 2 years. After reapplying in April, I got my oral interview date finally at the end of June. Here we are in the 7th month after my oral, and I am just now in the final panel review. So ya.. like I said.. don't get discouraged if the process takes an extremely long time... and hope that you get through in 6 months like some people every now and then.. but don't necessarily count on it.

Good luck to you in the rest of the process though. Congrats on the written!

Forum Member

My interview was in the end of July and my academy starts in february and that is about the fastest you can push yourself threw the LAFD hiring process.

Forum Member

Its hurry up and wait syndrome

Forum Member

anyone that has gotten the call for the feb tower please send me private message with your name and email. i will get a chain email started before the tower starts. thanks

Default Medical ?

What does the medical consist of?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by intheprocess View Post
    What does the medical consist of?
    A gloved hand, and years worth of therapy.

Default Can I....

Quote Originally Posted by Ticonderoga View Post
    A gloved hand, and years worth of therapy.
    Can I get a serious answer.

Talking Tower....

Hey Bica...im In The Feb Tower Too....congrats To You Man..have You Gotten Your Family Day Info In The Mail Yet?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bica2422 View Post
    anyone that has gotten the call for the feb tower please send me private message with your name and email. i will get a chain email started before the tower starts. thanks
    HEY BICA IM IN THE TOWER IN FEB TOO...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default the medical?

intheprocess, look a few pages ahead, this quetion was answered by bica I believe.

Appears its just a basic medical, like a physical with some blood work and drug tests.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sl2rpm View Post
    Lamina, just so you know, everyone is different. So if he got through quite fast, that is great and hope that you get through that fast. However if it takes over a year, don't get discouraged. LAFD has a very long process. I am now in my final panel, and their stats show I've been in the process since January of 2007.

First time through the process I didn't pass my oral interview in March of 07. So I went and got my EMT, Fire Academy, and became a reserve firefighter, then reapplied a year later in April of 08. I got to skip the written test again because I guess it is valid for 2 years. After reapplying in April, I got my oral interview date finally at the end of June. Here we are in the 7th month after my oral, and I am just now in the final panel review. So ya.. like I said.. don't get discouraged if the process takes an extremely long time... and hope that you get through in 6 months like some people every now and then.. but don't necessarily count on it.

Good luck to you in the rest of the process though. Congrats on the written!

well thanks for the advise. i read your other thread for lacofd. i applied and i guess i'll wait for the written test if they ever send me one. in the mean time i am signed up to take my emt class this month. i'll just work on my basic credentials till i get a shot at the title. good luck with the panel review.

Forum Member

Default Hiring freeze?

Does anyone have new information if the LAFD is going to have a hiring freeze due to the bad economy?

Thread Information