Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

Default final panel

Looks like i am in the same boat as a couple of other people on this forum thread. In the first week of december 2008, i got a letter from personnel that stated i got moved forward to the final panel review. I called personnel last month (january 2009), they said "return time for final panel review will be taking anywhere from 8-16 weeks." If anyone gets a call from personnel for a med/psych evaluation let us know by replying on this forum. Thanks and Good luck to everyone.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey everyone, I am in final panel review as well. I finished background on Jan. 5th and I am just waiting to hear something. For everyone else in the same situation, I just talked to the personnel department this morning about a CPAT question and they mentioned the next academy will be in July. Good luck!

Forum Member

Default LAFD EMS duties

Does anyone have information regarding being a LAFD firefighter and EMS duties? Is it handled seperately from the LAFD? Do the engine and ladder companies both respond to EMS calls? Who does transport at EMS scenes?
    Last edited by DM1438; 02-13-2009 at 03:53 PM.

Forum Member

Task force stations should be the best places to visit, right? They would more than likely have a rookie or two on duty, I would assume.

Forum Member

DM1438-

LAFD handles all of the ems calls. There are no private ambulance companies. LAFD treats, handles, and transports all calls. All firefighters are EMT certified. The engine always responds with the box to calls. If you are at a task force house and the engine is away, the truck will usually fill its spot.

CanofWD40-

It doesnt really matter where you go. Not all task force stations have rookies.

Forum Member

No EMS Captains or Ambulances were cut due to the economic crisis:

http://www.uflac.org/files/Bul_5-09.pdf

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by stihl9154 View Post
    DM1438-

LAFD handles all of the ems calls. There are no private ambulance companies. LAFD treats, handles, and transports all calls. All firefighters are EMT certified. The engine always responds with the box to calls. If you are at a task force house and the engine is away, the truck will usually fill its spot.

CanofWD40-

Is it just the the engine companies that respond to EMS calls? Do the truck companies only respond to EMS calls when the engine company is away? How does the LAFD transport with a fire engine or ladder truck? What is a task force house? Is it difficult to be assigned to a truck company? Thanks for your help. Take it easy.
    Last edited by DM1438; 02-14-2009 at 03:15 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DM1438 View Post
    Is it just the the engine companies that respond to EMS calls? Do the truck companies only respond to EMS calls when the engine company is away? How does the LAFD transport with a fire engine or ladder truck? What is a task force house? Is it difficult to be assigned to a truck company? Thanks for your help. Take it easy.
    It is usually the engine and ambulance that responds to EMS calls. The truck responds if the engine is away on another call. They dont transport in the engine or truck itself, the ambulance does. This is what is supposed to happen on an ems call. The engine or truck arrives first. They do the initial assessment and have it ready for the paramedics when they arrive and they usually take it from there. A task force consists of an engine, pumper, and truck. No it is not difficult to get assigned to a truck compnay because there are no requirements. What usually happens is that you rotate among members on your shift from engine to truck. Everybody is trained for both ff positions in the academy to be put on the truck or engine.

Forum Member

Default Lafd Ems

Thank you for the very informative information regarding LAFD EMS.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by stihl9154 View Post
    CanofWD40-

Oh, I see. Thanks.

I hear of people taking the test on the 21st of Feb. Anyone scheduled for the 28th? I just got my letter the other day; making sure its not a typo...

mjbVAFF

Forum Member

so is there a time frame of when candidates hear from personnel after the Initial background interview? Do they get a letter or a call if you move on?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by crazyff View Post
    so is there a time frame of when candidates hear from personnel after the Initial background interview? Do they get a letter or a call if you move on?
    It just depends. Some people hear right away (2-8 weeks), while others hear later (up to 12 months). Honestly, the majority of the candidates that move on are the ones that hear right away.

You will receive a letter in the mail stating whether you moved on in the process or not.

Good Luck to you if you are in the process.

Default Lafd

Just wondering if anyone else is testing with LAFD this month? I have my written this wknd. ..and hopefully if i pass, ill have an interview too.

Does anyone know about how to set up a station visit? It's such a huge department..also, is it appropriate to visit on a Sunday? I live in San Jose, And its the only day of the week I have free.

-Jen

Forum Member

http://joinlafd.org/Telephone%20Directory.pdf

Just call a station. No later than 9:00 am and not earlier than 8:25 am. Do a visit on that day, the following day will have a different shift.
    Last edited by CanofWD40; 02-19-2009 at 03:53 PM.

Forum Member

Talking Written Exam this weekend

chanster30... I will also be taking my written exam this weekend and I'm coming from Sacramento. Wish you the best....

Forum Member

Smile interview

hello fellow future firefighters. i just wanted to share some good news. i received a backround package today after the interview. i'm walking on cloud 9 right now. thanks for all the advice everyone post. it really helped assist me in this mornings interview

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lamina007 View Post
    hello fellow future firefighters. i just wanted to share some good news. i received a backround package today after the interview. i'm walking on cloud 9 right now. thanks for all the advice everyone post. it really helped assist me in this mornings interview
    Congrats and good luck the rest of the way.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by asandov4 View Post
    Looks like i am in the same boat as a couple of other people on this forum thread. In the first week of december 2008, i got a letter from personnel that stated i got moved forward to the final panel review. I called personnel last month (january 2009), they said "return time for final panel review will be taking anywhere from 8-16 weeks." If anyone gets a call from personnel for a med/psych evaluation let us know by replying on this forum. Thanks and Good luck to everyone.
    My background investigator cleared me on December 31st. Just got the call today that I am moving on to psych/med. So final panel took roughly 6-7 weeks. Good luck and hope you all hear soon.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by sl2rpm View Post
    My background investigator cleared me on December 31st. Just got the call today that I am moving on to psych/med. So final panel took roughly 6-7 weeks. Good luck and hope you all hear soon.
    Thanks for the update. I cleared background the following week so hopefully I will hear something soon. Did they actually schedule you for the med/psych or just say you are moving on? If they scheduled you, how far out are the appointments?

Forum Member

They called me and told me I was moving on. Then asked what day next week. So it is real quick notice but you get to pick what day the following week you would like to go in.

Forum Member

Anyone know if you can get hired without an EMT cert? I am a pilot interested in a career change, but I do not have enough free time with my work schedule to get the EMT. Also does LAFD accept the EMT cert from training division, the online program? Thank you in advance.

Forum Member

Does anyone know if LAFD will hire without a EMT-B? I am a pilot looking to do a career change and can't get enough time off work to get the cert. Also, do they accept an EMT from training divison, the online program? Thank you.

Forum Member

Hey guys. I turned my background package in on Jan 22 and was hoping there were some other guys who are in that same time frame as well. The time line posted here says the initial panel review is this month. Hope someone is in my time frame and will post if they hear something.

Forum Member

Default Background investigation

Quote Originally Posted by sl2rpm View Post
    Congatualtions. How long did your background investigation last?

Thread Information