Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

Forum Member

can you get hired without an EMT-B

Forum Member

Default Waiting for contact from backgroung

Hey everyone,
    First of all good luck to everyone currently in the selection process with LAFD. I just recieved my letter on the 4th of Feb letting me know that I will be contacted by a background investigator! I havn't heard anything yet, but I will be sure to post a reply once I here something. Also if anyone knows anything about the "hiring freeze" please post the info with some kind of reference to the info if possible. Lastly I am curious if anyone else has gone through this hiring process while still going to emt classes, I am not scheduled to recieve my certification until May 9th and it seems like the agency is willing to keep you going regardless of your emt cert. Looking foward to your replies!

I applied on 08/17/08
    Took the CPAT on 11/08/08
    Took the written on 01/24/09
    Took the oral on 02/09/09

I have my first background interview on March 5th. I feel more nervous for the background than I did for the oral. I have no MAJOR issues with my background but it isn't absolutely squeaky clean either. I would think that this is normal.

Anyway, I'm pretty damn excited and I look forward to the tower!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DM1438 View Post
    Congatualtions. How long did your background investigation last?
    Lets see.. I got my letter stating I would get a BI around Sept. 10th.. then had my background interview mid October. BI cleared me Jan. 1st and I got my letter stating I was in final panel on 1/15/09.

Forum Member

Damn.. I did my initial background in December. Here we are.. nearly 10 weeks later, and nothing. EMT ruins everything i'm telling you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticonderoga View Post
    Damn.. I did my initial background in December. Here we are.. nearly 10 weeks later, and nothing. EMT ruins everything i'm telling you.
    What do you mean EMT ruins everything?

Forum Member

Hey everyone,
    Got my letter on Feb 4 stating that I have been moved past the initial panel review and should be contacted by BI within 30 days! I just found this website and I am pumped to see so much info in one place that is specifically related to what Im going through! Good luck to everyone, I look foward to what will hopefully happen in the future.

Forum Member

Default Background investigation

Quote Originally Posted by sl2rpm View Post
    Lets see.. I got my letter stating I would get a BI around Sept. 10th.. then had my background interview mid October. BI cleared me Jan. 1st and I got my letter stating I was in final panel on 1/15/09.
    Thank you for your response. It is good to have a timeline. All the best. DM1438

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ticonderoga View Post
    I was stuck in my initial panel for awhile too.. but on my 7th week I sent a fax to them stating I had started paramedic school and sent them my school information. 2 weeks later I had a background investigator. Not sure if paramedic school was the reason why but it sure didn't hurt.

Forum Member

hello all, this is my first post on this thread. i read it very carefully and thanks for all the great info... i was recently informed that my test date is march 21st and i look forward to starting the process. i was reviewing my application online and although i filled it out well i did not put any of my past volunteer work or community service that i did both in and out of the coast guard. this is something i feel would be important the interviewers know that i did as well. do they have a copy of it or will i get the chance to edit it at all also to add some other job experiences that happened to me recently that are interesting. thanks for any info

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    hello all, this is my first post on this thread. i read it very carefully and thanks for all the great info... i was recently informed that my test date is march 21st and i look forward to starting the process. i was reviewing my application online and although i filled it out well i did not put any of my past volunteer work or community service that i did both in and out of the coast guard. this is something i feel would be important the interviewers know that i did as well. do they have a copy of it or will i get the chance to edit it at all also to add some other job experiences that happened to me recently that are interesting. thanks for any info
    Once your application is in, you can not edit it again. You should bring it up on your oral interview though, make sure put it on your resume as well.

Forum Member

If you pass your interview, you will get a background packet.. Thats where you can make up for what you missed on your PBA. It is a very comprehensive packet.

Forum Member

Default Medic School?...

I was stuck in my initial panel for awhile too.. but on my 7th week I sent a fax to them stating I had started paramedic school and sent them my school information. 2 weeks later I had a background investigator. Not sure if paramedic school was the reason why but it sure didn't hurt.

So ur in medic school rght now? what if u get into the next tower?...are u gona drop medic school.

Forum Member

Smile Passed Interview and received backround packet

so i passed my interview and they gave me a backround packet. they said i had to fill it out and drop it off in march. Will they interview me the same day? or am i just dropping off the packet and then they do there backround check then interview you later? basically, i just want to know if i should expect anything next month when i drop off my completed packet. any info anyone could supply me with would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent8404 View Post
    Hey guys. I turned my background package in on Jan 22 and was hoping there were some other guys who are in that same time frame as well. The time line posted here says the initial panel review is this month. Hope someone is in my time frame and will post if they hear something.
    Turned in my bg package same day still haven't heard anything yet

Forum Member

[QUOTE=bica2422;1015558]
    Quote Originally Posted by JOGEHRIG View Post

I submitted application: Jan 31st
    I took written test : April 19th
    I had interview : May 26th
    I had preliminary background interview: June 22nd
    I had background interview with my investigator : July 29th
    I got the letter stating I passed my backgrounds: August 19th
    I got the call scheduling me for my med and psych : December 5th
    I had my med and psych test : December 10th

i just passed my interview and they gave me a backround package. i have my preliminary backround interview in march. Am i just dropping off the backround package or will i be sitting there explaining anything on my packet. any info would be nice to hear. thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=lamina007;1037741]
    Quote Originally Posted by bica2422 View Post

i just passed my interview and they gave me a backround package. i have my preliminary backround interview in march. Am i just dropping off the backround package or will i be sitting there explaining anything on my packet. any info would be nice to hear. thanks.
    Congrats on passing the interview. When you turn in your packet there will be 50-75 other people there and you will be going through all of the documents you are required to turn in and filling out some additional paperwork. Then you answer questions in another packet related to drug use, any type of illegal activity, etc. When you finish that you will meet with an investigator who will look through your background form and the packet that you will have just filled out to make sure it is complete. Then you are done and in initial panel review. Most people will be dressed up so dress in similar clothes as you would wear to the interview. It takes a few hours, so don't expect to be out of there quickly. Good luck the rest of the way.

Forum Member

Smile

[QUOTE=sgobba;1037758]
    Quote Originally Posted by lamina007 View Post

Congrats on passing the interview. When you turn in your packet there will be 50-75 other people there and you will be going through all of the documents you are required to turn in and filling out some additional paperwork. Then you answer questions in another packet related to drug use, any type of illegal activity, etc. When you finish that you will meet with an investigator who will look through your background form and the packet that you will have just filled out to make sure it is complete. Then you are done and in initial panel review. Most people will be dressed up so dress in similar clothes as you would wear to the interview. It takes a few hours, so don't expect to be out of there quickly. Good luck the rest of the way.
    Thanks for that detailed explanation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TJC303 View Post
    I applied on 08/17/08
    Took the CPAT on 11/08/08
    Took the written on 01/24/09
    Took the oral on 02/09/09

I have my first background interview on March 5th. I feel more nervous for the background than I did for the oral. I have no MAJOR issues with my background but it isn't absolutely squeaky clean either. I would think that this is normal.

Anyway, I'm pretty damn excited and I look forward to the tower!

How'd you get your interview that quick? I took the written on January 10 and submitted my CPAT within two weeks of the exam. I haven't been given an interview date, yet.

Forum Member

So when you call to schedule a station visit, how far ahead of time should you do it? A week, couple days? I have my written on 3/14. Going out there from Chicago and figured I would set up a couple visits.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by intheprocess View Post
    So ur in medic school rght now? what if u get into the next tower?...are u gona drop medic school.
    If they give me a tower date.. I'd rather have the job then the medic license. However they may also just tell me to finish medic school. So we'll see in the next couple weeks. Took my medical and psych tests today... I wish that test upon no one. Longest most boring test I've ever taken. Fingers are numb from filling out 1000+ bubbles.

so i passed my interview and they gave me a backround packet. they said i had to fill it out and drop it off in march. Will they interview me the same day? or am i just dropping off the packet and then they do there backround check then interview you later? basically, i just want to know if i should expect anything next month when i drop off my completed packet. any info anyone could supply me with would be appreciated.
    I guess sgobba answered that well enough? If ya have any other questions just shoot me a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Latron View Post
    So when you call to schedule a station visit, how far ahead of time should you do it? A week, couple days? I have my written on 3/14. Going out there from Chicago and figured I would set up a couple visits.
    As far as calling in ahead for station visits... I'm not sure how everyone else did it but on a given day I would choose 2 or 3 stations... buy some pies and call them that morning. New crew would be on and told them I was coming later. Never had any problems.. if anyone has a comment on this or if he should make arrangements earlier, hop on in. Just stating what I had done.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CanofWD40 View Post
    How'd you get your interview that quick? I took the written on January 10 and submitted my CPAT within two weeks of the exam. I haven't been given an interview date, yet.
    don't worry about it. i did the same thing. had my written in late december turned in my cpat january 8th. then got my letter stating my interview date for 02/19. theyll send you the letter 2 weeks before your interview. it's best you start to prepare sooner than later. it sneaks up quick especially if you have a full time job. call the personel department. they may be able to let you know if you passed and if there is an interview date already set up. i called about 3 weeks after i passed my written and they had an interview date set up. you'll be good. just practice practice practice. this job is for the prepared. and with 100's of applicants you need to be the most prepared.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Latron View Post
    I do it like I was told to do it. I call between 8:30 and 9:00 am, the day I will visit the station. If you do it the day before, it will be a different shift and they will not be expecting you.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=sgobba;1037758]

i just read it a little closer. so that day i will be there for 3 to 4 hours. will i just be talking to one person? also when you say i'll be in panel review, are they going to be interviewing me again?

Forum Member

don't worry about it. i did the same thing. had my written in late december turned in my cpat january 8th. then got my letter stating my interview date for 02/19. theyll send you the letter 2 weeks before your interview. it's best you start to prepare sooner than later. it sneaks up quick especially if you have a full time job. call the personel department. they may be able to let you know if you passed and if there is an interview date already set up. i called about 3 weeks after i passed my written and they had an interview date set up. you'll be good. just practice practice practice. this job is for the prepared. and with 100's of applicants you need to be the most prepared.
    I passed the exam and called the personnel department, they told me that I do not have an interview date and that I will receive a notification some time in March. I don't mind the wait, I am in no hurry.

Thread Information