Like Tree6Likes

Thread: LAFD applicants

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=lamina007;1037994]
    Quote Originally Posted by sgobba View Post

i just read it a little closer. so that day i will be there for 3 to 4 hours. will i just be talking to one person? also when you say i'll be in panel review, are they going to be interviewing me again?
    When you go to this initial background meeting they will just be making sure all of your paperwork is together and asking clarifying questions about some of your responses in that other packet of questions that you fill out. So, yes it will be one investigator that looks through your stuff, but he/she is not really interviewing you. After you leave all of your information will go to initial panel review where they will decide if you have the qualifications and if you are disqualified because of anything in your background packet. If you pass this you will get a letter saying you are moving on to backgrounds and your assigned investigator will contact you. That is when you will be interviewed. Your investigator will record the interview and go back through all of your responses in the background packet asking you to elaborate on certain things. Then they start doing their thing and will call you with anything else they need.

Forum Member

Smile

[QUOTE=sgobba;1038114]
    Quote Originally Posted by lamina007 View Post

When you go to this initial background meeting they will just be making sure all of your paperwork is together and asking clarifying questions about some of your responses in that other packet of questions that you fill out. So, yes it will be one investigator that looks through your stuff, but he/she is not really interviewing you. After you leave all of your information will go to initial panel review where they will decide if you have the qualifications and if you are disqualified because of anything in your background packet. If you pass this you will get a letter saying you are moving on to backgrounds and your assigned investigator will contact you. That is when you will be interviewed. Your investigator will record the interview and go back through all of your responses in the background packet asking you to elaborate on certain things. Then they start doing their thing and will call you with anything else they need.
    so when i drop off the initial packet will that take 4 hours? or is it only if you pass the panel review when the investor wants to go through your info later.

thanks for the detailed responses. it's nice to get a better understanding of what i'm expecting. it will help me prepare properly.

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=lamina007;1038142]
    so when i drop off the initial packet will that take 4 hours? or is it only if you pass the panel review when the investor wants to go through your info later.

thanks for the detailed responses. it's nice to get a better understanding of what i'm expecting. it will help me prepare properly.
    No worries, I had no idea what to expect when I went to these. I think it took around 3 hours when I turned in the packet. It takes so long because there is additional paperwork you will fill out and they go through your background packet page by page making sure everyone filled it out right. Then they go through all the documents you are supposed to bring and put them in order. There is like 75 other people there so questions are asked and that sort of thing. Then you fill out that other packet of questions that I was talking about which I think was like 100 questions. For anything that you answer yes on you have to write a little explanation. For example, there will be a question like "Have you ever been to a party where illegal drugs were used?" I would think most people answer yes and then have to explain that they have been to parties where there were drugs but did not use, blah, blah, blah. So that takes some time and then when you finish you wait for an available investigator who will flip through everything and make sure that you did it right. They did not really ask me any questions about my responses, just made sure they were detailed enough and I was done.

Forum Member

Default Sgobba

Can u turn ur pm setting to ON. i wantd to discuss somthng off-line so to speak. ty.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by intheprocess View Post
    Can u turn ur pm setting to ON. i wantd to discuss somthng off-line so to speak. ty.
    should be on now

Forum Member

i know the cpat is good for 1 year but is that also the life of your written and oral scores?

Forum Member

Oral score is good for two years

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    i know the cpat is good for 1 year but is that also the life of your written and oral scores?
    If you pass the written, you won't have to take it again

Forum Member

Default High School Transcripts

I was wondering if anyone knows how important your high school transcripts are. I have nothing in my background that would exclude me, but I do have a couple of questionable semesters in high school. I passed everything and graduated on time, but I repeated a class in summer school my sophomore year. Since then I have over a 3.0 in college classes every semester.

Does anyone have any info on this? I meet my BGI in March and wanted to be prepared.

Thanks

Forum Member

It depends on your BI but I had to turn mine in. How closely they look at the high school transcripts I don't know... I would think they would look really closely at college over high school. I did alright in high school.. I think I graduated with a 3.5. However out of high school.. my first semester in college, I got placed on academic probation for falling below a 2.0 GPA. I was studying stuff that just didn't interest me. Then once I started EMT, Fire and medic classes.. my GPA rose to above a 3.0 again. I did have to explain why I dropped so low so fast but it didn't affect me at all. Hope that answers your question.

Forum Member

Here is a good read for the candidates in the process with LAFD:

http://www.lacity.org/lafd/lafdrepor...4_10292008.pdf

Keep in mind that it was proposed 10/27/08.

Forum Member

Its hopefully gonna be a relief when the real budget comes out with no budget cut. that would be beneficial to all of us. within the next few months we'll know

MembersZone Subscriber

Just got my medical and psych date scheduled. It took about 7-8 weeks to hear back after clearing background...

Forum Member

Thumbs up Greetings

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking this forum for a while. I am also in the process for LAFD and my background was cleared by my BI in Jan 31. The paper said I would hear back from the Final Panel within 4-6 weeks. Hopefully i'll be dripping sweat with some of you guys in the July tower.

Forum Member

Default Timeline - FYI

My timeline thus far:

Written Exam - Saturday, 2/21/09
    CPAT ID Faxed to Personnel Dept. - Monday, 2/23/09
    Interview Letter Received - Friday, 2/27/09
    Interview Scheduled - Thursday, 3/26/09

Forum Member

Default Timeline - FYI

My timeline thus far:

Written Exam - 2/21/09
    CPAT Faxed - 2/23/09
    Interview Letter - 2/27/09
    Interview Date - 3/26/09

Forum Member

Default Timeline - FYI

Here is my timeline with the LAFD thus far; for those who took the exam recently.

Written Exam - 2/21/09
    Faxed CPAT - 2/23/09
    Letter Received - 2/27/09
    Oral Interview - 3/26/09

Forum Member

Just got my medical and psych date scheduled. It took about 7-8 weeks to hear back after clearing background...
    Sweet.. sounds like you are on track for the July academy as well. Congrats.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sl2rpm View Post
    Sweet.. sounds like you are on track for the July academy as well. Congrats.
    hey guys. my backround interview is this week. what types of questions will they be asking? i have a really clean past but didn't know if when they ask you questions on this one if you chould be bridging everything to the fire department as well. any advice would be great. thanks.

Forum Member

Default Question?

I had my background interview on the 22 of Jan, was wondering if anyone else in that same time frame? And if they have heard anything back from the initial panel review?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lamina007 View Post
    hey guys. my backround interview is this week. what types of questions will they be asking? i have a really clean past but didn't know if when they ask you questions on this one if you chould be bridging everything to the fire department as well. any advice would be great. thanks.
    Which interview? The first bg interview where you fill out questions? Or the interview after you have received an investigator?

If it's the bg interview before your initial panel review....stick to the truth. Remember.. if you get selected.. you will have an investigator making sure everything is legitimate. I've had friends that have done some pretty shady things.. admitted them and still passed this part of the interview.

If it's the bg investigator interview.. it is a very short interview. It's not tricky.. he/she will just grab your application, your 167 bg questions, and one other form plus a recorder. He'll just ask questions as he shuffles through your paperwork. All easy questions about you and your history. He/she will ask for transcripts so bring those.. bring a passport photo.. and have every phone number possible.. all references.. all work numbers.. including your managers and asst. manager's home phone. They want all the information they can get. If you can't provide it.. it could possibly slow down your investigation so get it to him/her asap.

Forum Member

I just had the written test on Saturday, pretty easy... now I'm just waiting for them to contact me for the next step.

I've got a question regarding people that have been picked up by LAFD and have gone through their academy. I know that there is a wide variety of people with different work experience, fire certifications, education (B.S. degrees), FF1 academies, EMT-B, or Paramedics etc. that have gotten accepted into the LA academy. For those of you that have been accepted, what did you have in terms of those things I listed?? Anyone else that knows of people that have gotten accepted, I would like to know what they had too... just to see what type of people they seem to be hiring. Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice. Im currently a paid on call firefighter/emt in wisconsin, actually just moved here 6 months ago from southern cali, but i realized the midwest is just not for me, and i want to move back home. Im only 20, and Im working on my AA in fire protection currently and will be finished by the time i move home, which will hopefully be summer of 2010. I am a nremt basic as well. Anyone have any advice on what i could do to better my chances of getting hired on la. Im planning on taking a fire one academy when i get home, because i know my fire 1 out here means nothing there. Any advice is appreciated!!.

Forum Member

JulianNorCal-

"I know that there is a wide variety of people with different work experience, fire certifications, education (B.S. degrees), FF1 academies, EMT-B, or Paramedics etc. that have gotten accepted into the LA academy."

You answered the question you asked yourself.

Forum Member

Sorry for the confusion. What I was asking was, of all those certifications, education, experience, etc. does the department seem to choose persons with any particular one of those criteria more commonly?

I'm just wondering if it is worth it to keep on going through all the hiring process because I have to make the drive from Chico to LA to do all the steps and I don't have my FF1 yet. I'll have a B.S. in Public Administration by the end of May and 1.5 year of volunteer experience by May also. I have alot of certs like NREMT, Rescue Systems 1, SFM Auto Ex., Hazmat Fro and Decon, Confined Space Tech, Low Angle, Water Tech 1,Cal Fire 67, ICS 300 and some others. I don't have my FF1 and was wondering if that will hold me back alot?? I'd really like to work with LA City but just wondering what you all think if I realistically have a chance of getting picked up without my FF1?

Thread Information